a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: 2013 Kansas Rut

2013 Kansas Rut

Hey guys, the moon is going to be full this year the 2nd week of November, the first week has none, what is the prediction for the rut this year in Kansas and which would YOU rather hunt this year? Trying to schedule my vacation. Thx for your input.

Hoyt Carbon Element RKT (Camo) #64, 28.5"
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT (Blackout) #64, 28.5"
    Hogg It, QAD HDX Rest, Fuse Carbon Blade 8.5",
    Fuse Satori Quiver, 27.5" CE Maxima Blue Streak 350 arrow,
    2" Blazers, Rage Broadhead, 385grn

This comes up every year. I wouldn't pay that much attention to the moon. The temps have more to do with it than the moon. If its warm, the bucks won't be moving. Year in and year out, the experts say to try and be there some time within a few days before or after Nov 7th.

The rut occurs at the same time every year.

I agree the rut will happen no matter what the moon is as long as its not 70 degrees as well last year... I live in southeat Kansas and the best dates last year were the 11th -16th...

KNS I would agree. I am in SEK as well, Cherokee county.

November 6-10 for me in sumner county

These guys are all correct; the rut is the same time every yr and the end of the first week through the second week are hot. I live in South Central KS and November 8th and 12th are big buck down days. Looking at the calendar I would take off Wednesday the 6th and stay until Wednesday the 13th... depending on how much time you have.

Sorry, you already missed it. These cool temps have really got them going crazy.

Ha ha that's funny

My cellular game cams tell me otherwise from the comfort of my home

Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Sorry, you already missed it. These cool temps have really got them going crazy.
    Glad someone is seeing something with horns

My bucks are not moving

Im going to be there Oct 22 through november 4th. There is definately alot more of a difference down there with temps compared to MN thats for sure. Good luck
    Mathews Chill @ 70 28.5 ripping Easton Axis 400s
    Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
    IQ 7 Pin
    Axion Gridlock Matrix Stabilizer

I don't even hunt this early however the cool temps are tempting. I just hate to wear orange to bowhunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntertx View Post
    This comes up every year. I wouldn't pay that much attention to the moon. The temps have more to do with it than the moon. If its warm, the bucks won't be moving. Year in and year out, the experts say to try and be there some time within a few days before or after Nov 7th.
    I have a farm is SEK (North Crawford County) and while I agree that the rut is usually the same time every year, you still have to pay attention to the moon. Full moon my bucks run all night and lock down during the day. Can't tell you how many times I've been driving to my stand at 5 am and see the big boys out dogging does in fields as my head lights hit them.

I seen some good bucks scraping it out this morning. They are getting their pecking order and territory marked. I think I will see heavy pre-rut action by October 25th with bucks searching for the few does who will be hot then. I think the best days will be the five before Halloween and the five after. Then I think they will lock down every few days with a doe till the 15th. Another cruising phase from the 16th till the 26th to get last remaining does bred.
    Regards,
    Matt Shook

Worlds First E-Release "The Viper" Pm me for details

I thought it was going to be a bad thing heading to Ks earlier than normal this year- oct 22. This early winter weather looks like its going to help.
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

I know of one 185" killed already.
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

Went to the farm this weekend to check stands and to hang a few more. Sunday evening a saw a few bucks just hanging around a group of does. Bucks were setting there pecking order, bulling up, and walking the younger ones off. Nothing like a few small signs of pre rut to get the blood flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
    I know of one 185" killed already.
    Probably over green beans?
    Question tradition constantly, change tradition carefully.
    12 Mathews Heli-M 70# 28", 08 General 279 70#,Whisker Biscuit
    Maxima 350, 360 gr.,28"DL
    Muzzy three blade 75 gr.-today anyway
    Micro 7 pin IQ, Truball Prodiamond extreme

Quote Originally Posted by KNS View Post
    I agree the rut will happen no matter what the moon is as long as its not 70 degrees as well last year... I live in southeat Kansas and [SIZE=3]the best dates last year were the 11th -16th[/SIZE]...
    That's what it seems to me year after year in my area. And I assume we are all talking about the seeking phase actually and not the actual rut. Those one or two days that the bucks are moving all day long looking for the first does in heat is a awesome time!!
    Question tradition constantly, change tradition carefully.
    12 Mathews Heli-M 70# 28", 08 General 279 70#,Whisker Biscuit
    Maxima 350, 360 gr.,28"DL
    Muzzy three blade 75 gr.-today anyway
    Micro 7 pin IQ, Truball Prodiamond extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I thought it was going to be a bad thing heading to Ks earlier than normal this year- oct 22. This early winter weather looks like its going to help.
    What early winter weather are you talking about? It's been warmer than normal in kansas so far.

As far as putting bucks down my best dates are Nov 1st thru the 11th. Have to love sweet November. As far as the moon goes I don't really pay attention to it anymore. If its warm the big boys will be on there feet way more at night then during the day.
    I have always wanted a Halloween buck. Well last year I missed at 40 yards. Maybe this year will be the year.
    Elite Answer 70 lb limbs 30" draw
    Sword sights, GT Kinetic arrows, VPA terminator broadheads, QAD ultra rest HD

I'll be rolling in on the 10th and hunting through the 16th.

8th - 12th have been prime dates for me (lifetime KS hunter), although Thanksgiving has produced a lot of bucks for me also.

No. 1 and No. 2 typical bow bucks of all time in KS were killed on the 17th and 18th of November.
    A riser,two limbs a string, and a fist full of cheap arrows. "To find me you have to be smart, To catch me you have to be Fast, To be me you must be Kidding"

I love the 9th to the 12th. However, last year I killed one around the 16th (I believe). And it was pretty slow for the few days prior to that.
    "Its gotten to the point where basic common sense, about a lot of things these days, doesnt make a lot of sense to most people."
    Phil Robertson