Thread: Hoyt Spyder Turbo #3 vs #2 Cams at a 28in Draw?????

Hoyt Spyder Turbo #3 vs #2 Cams at a 28in Draw?????

I am getting a Spyder Turbo that will be here tomorrow. It has the #3 Cams on it, the one I shot had the #2 cams on it and I loved it. My question is how much of a difference is there between the two cams, feel and speed? Is it still a true 28in draw with the #3 Cams?? And also how much would it be two have to buy (or could I swap) the #2 Cams strings and cables???

Hoyt Spyder Turbo
    Sword Acu Sights, HHA
    Limbdriver, QAD HDX
    Easton Arrows/Grim Reapers/Chevy Trucks
    Remember: "Rome wasn't built in a day"

Not sure on price but I'm a 28.5 and my #3 cam is super smooth drawing. It is said the #2 cam at 28" is faster than the #3 so it comes down to what you want speed or smoothness.
    Hoyt Powerhawk 28.5" 60# cm bowstring nap quicktune apex 4 pin tundra st epic 400s
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo 28.5" 60# ripcord sos extreme archery products exr easton axis 400s & lightspeed 3d 400s
    BLACKOUT HUNTING
    "Hit Em' So Hard They BLACKOUT!!"

Since U have a shorter DL I would go with the #2 cam. The Turbo shot good either way. Only 4 fps difference between cam's. I did something similar I bought the Spyder 34 with a #2 cam. It shoots great.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkuntry72 View Post
    Not sure on price but I'm a 28.5 and my #3 cam is super smooth drawing. It is said the #2 cam at 28" is faster than the #3 so it comes down to what you want speed or smoothness.
    If only I was a 28.5in draw it would be such an eaiser decision...... I thought the Turbo I shot with the #2 Cams was smooth ........ Along with the #2 Cam requiring shorter strings and cables the Hoyt Cam chart says it shortens the ATA up about an inch and half... Does that make much of a difference either????
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo
    Sword Acu Sights, HHA
    Limbdriver, QAD HDX

I'm not an expert on the subject (for sure), but generally, you'll lose a tad bit of speed with the larger diameter cam (3-5 fps), but gain smoothness. I have the number 3 cam on my Spyder Turbo, CRX-32, and all my late models Hoyts - except my Carbon Matrix. While my Matrix really smokes an arrow, I prefer the draw cycle of the larger diameter cam.

Hoyt's cam setup, allows for full cam rotation "within" the designated draw length limit of each cam. While a #2 cam, at it's max draw setting will outperform the #3 cam at it's minimum setting, it's not a large amount. Like I said, 3-5 fps max. The #3 is just such a nice drawing cam IMO>

For what it's worth, the Spyder Turbo really smokes an arrow. I am one that loves to chrono with my "other-brand" shooting friends. Not for bragging rights, but I have yet to find a buddy who isn't "shocked" at how quick it shoots, without compromising the draw cycle and without the extreme jumpiness of many other speed bows.
    Present to Past: 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo - Bone Collector, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350 (black), 10' BT D350 (camo), 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

The specs say a #3 should be but I have mine at 34" ata which is what it came from factory. I tried running it at the 35 3/8 but just seemed like I was having barely any twists in anything so I put it at 34" not sure if it makes a lot of difference but I love mine and it's nice and fast.
    Hoyt Powerhawk 28.5" 60# cm bowstring nap quicktune apex 4 pin tundra st epic 400s
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo 28.5" 60# ripcord sos extreme archery products exr easton axis 400s & lightspeed 3d 400s
    BLACKOUT HUNTING
    "Hit Em' So Hard They BLACKOUT!!"

Hey if it feels good man then shoot it. All of our opinion s are just that opinions. We are all different. Go get your bow man it will serve U well the more U shoot it the more it will feel like a part of U. Good luck on with your new Spyder Turbo.

The #2 cam in the E slot (28 inch) on the Turbo is the most efficient option. It is smooth as butter when tuned correctly. You will get full cam rotation during the draw cycle like it was designed to operate.

But if you have already bought it with a #3 cam it will be good too. Its not worth the expense to change cams and threads in my opinion. Just shoot it and enjoy. It is one of the best of 2013 IMO.

NC

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo 55-65lbs.
    HOYT QAD HDX Ultrarest
    Spot Hogg Hunter Custom 5 pin
    Park-N-Son's Archery Custom Bowstrings

I am talking with my buddy who is a Pro at the Hoyt shop here locally he is saying that the Spyder Turbo's in the 28 DL they set up with the 2 cams are great and are 6 to 8 feet per second faster then the number 3 cam would be in your DL. Here is why because you would be at the low end of the number 3 cam so it will not be as proficient. He said to let U know the 28 inch DL in the #2 cam is probably perfect for you. Go get your Hoyt welcome to the best of the best Hoyt.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to try out the #3 Cam and see how if feels. I def. like the idea of having the bow be at its most efficient point but if theres not really any ATA difference between the two cams and theres only a few feet per second given up, it may just be eaiser to stay with that. Like I said the Turbo I shot had the #2 Cam and it was SWEET all the way around.......
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo
    Sword Acu Sights, HHA
    Limbdriver, QAD HDX

Not a huge difference IMO. #2 will be a little faster and the #3 a bit smoother

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post
    I'm not an expert on the subject (for sure), but generally, you'll lose a tad bit of speed with the larger diameter cam (3-5 fps), but gain smoothness. I have the number 3 cam on my Spyder Turbo, CRX-32, and all my late models Hoyts - except my Carbon Matrix. While my Matrix really smokes an arrow, I prefer the draw cycle of the larger diameter cam.

Hoyt's cam setup, allows for full cam rotation "within" the designated draw length limit of each cam. While a #2 cam, at it's max draw setting will outperform the #3 cam at it's minimum setting, it's not a large amount. Like I said, 3-5 fps max. The #3 is just such a nice drawing cam IMO>

For what it's worth, the Spyder Turbo really smokes an arrow. I am one that loves to chrono with my "other-brand" shooting friends. Not for bragging rights, but I have yet to find a buddy who isn't "shocked" at how quick it shoots, without compromising the draw cycle and without the extreme jumpiness of many other speed bows.

This is really good to listen to if your concerned about it but I wouldn't worry. U won't feel the difference in speed loss but u will feel a better draw cycle and IMO that the most important thing, good luck
    PSE DNA, Axcel Armortech HD 5pin, Trophy Taker FC, GoldTip Kinetic XT
    PSE Supra ME, HHA DS-5510, Limbdriver ProV, GoldTip Velocity Pro
    Scott Archery,Fuse Archery Products,Slick Trick Broadheads
    Cabalas "worlds foremost outfitter"

Quote Originally Posted by flutyflakes51 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to try out the #3 Cam and see how if feels. I def. like the idea of having the bow be at its most efficient point but if theres not really any ATA difference between the two cams and theres only a few feet per second given up, it may just be eaiser to stay with that. Like I said the Turbo I shot had the #2 Cam and it was SWEET all the way around.......
    Mine is a 60# with the #3 cam and I have it set with "C" module. With that, it is a measured 29" dl. My speed with my hunting setup (as seen in my signature) has improved by about 3 fps, as after my strings/cables were shot in (300 shots or so), I tweaked it (timed the cams, re-paper tuned it) and is running 290-292 fps (depending on if I use the Pro Chrono, or RadarChron) with a 409 gr arrow. Bow weight with limbs cranked dow is 60.7 with an ATA 33 7/8". That is a correct IBO/ATA speed of 343 fps. And with the #3, drawing is very smooth and a great valley (which I don't care about a deep valley, but it has one).
    Present to Past: 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo - Bone Collector, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350 (black), 10' BT D350 (camo), 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post
    Mine is a 60# with the #3 cam and I have it set with "C" module. With that, it is a measured 29" dl. My speed with my hunting setup (as seen in my signature) has improved by about 3 fps, as after my strings/cables were shot in (300 shots or so), I tweaked it (timed the cams, re-paper tuned it) and is running 290-292 fps (depending on if I use the Pro Chrono, or RadarChron) with a 409 gr arrow. Bow weight with limbs cranked dow is 60.7 with an ATA 33 7/8". That is a correct IBO/ATA speed of 343 fps. And with the #3, drawing is very smooth and a great valley (which I don't care about a deep valley, but it has one).
    good information. Thanks. I'm gonna have to just shoot it with the #3 first, if it ever gets here, its been over a week and no bow yet. I'm thinking tomorrow will be the day though... I think a big part of this is my head...... I have a tendency to overthink things like this, I try not to but can't help. I keep researching to make the best decision possible and a lot of times the right decision is the first one (gut) anyway. This is why I like AT, so many people willing to give feedback and there experience. Thanks
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo
    Sword Acu Sights, HHA
    Limbdriver, QAD HDX