a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Virginia Rut / Activity Report Thread

2013 Virginia Rut / Activity Report Thread

I realize it's a little early to start this thread, but it's time to start exchanging information. Please provide at least a general description of the location of the activity.

Super early on Saturday morning (9/21), I was walking into my spot in Chesapeake for the urban archery season. I clearly heard two bucks fighting in the distance. It was very loud and very distinct. They would hook antlers for a solid 10-20 seconds, and then go quiet for a while. About 1-3 minutes later, antlers would crash together again for another round. This went on for about 10 minutes.

For what it's worth, it did not sound like two little dink bucks sparring back-and-forth. This sounded like full-on, I-hate-your-guts fighting.

I was somewhat surprised to hear this kind of fighting so early in the year. Nevertheless, there it is.

In related news, I have not seen anything moving during the day. Frustrating, to say the least.

not to early. I saw 2 racked deer locked up this past week in wythe county.

Saturday morning, I watched, with coffee cup in hand from my breakfast table, two small bucks in my rear yard lock up and spar as though they each thought themselves Mike Tyson. A doe (with two fawns) circled and circled the bucks, and one of the bucks actually curled his lips and was half-heartedly chasing her. Pretty fun to watch.
    <')))><
    Living he loved me, dying he saved me.

Need change? Break a BUCK into four quarters!

I'd guess it is going to be earlier this year than usually; seems like fall is coming early. But who knows.
    2013 Elite Answer, five pins, and a whisker biscuit

I have some on cam fighting

Not seeing many rubs though. I have some good bucks on cam in va and nc but can't get one on the ground for nothing. Been looking for acorns but haven't really found any. What are you guys hunting now fields or woods?

I saw 2 atleast 130" bucks lock up atleast 3 weeks ago hard horned but sorry to change the subject..... where are the acrons? ive heard locally in Botetourt county that all the heavy rain as destroyed the oak trees... what are yall seeing?
    -Hoyt Maxxis 31

Sounds like I need to come have a cup of coffee with you.

All I've seen is 3 coyotes walking along my back fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
    Saturday morning, I watched, with coffee cup in hand from my breakfast table, two small bucks in my rear yard lock up and spar as though they each thought themselves Mike Tyson. A doe (with two fawns) circled and circled the bucks, and one of the bucks actually curled his lips and was half-heartedly chasing her. Pretty fun to watch.
    PSE Brute-X 70lb @ 30", QAD HDX, 60x Strings

Rubs showing up and even found a scrape Sunday while scouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

In my stand I seen packs of bucks by them self and does running together. Really looking forward to pre rut this year

Shortly after sunrise a few days ago, a friend saw two bucks squaring off on Fisherman's Island on the Eastern Shore. Seems like an awful long way to swim just to get in a fight.

I have bucks feeding with does at night on trail cams at a couple different locations.

Havn't been out to scout yet this year but will try to get out tomorrow, so I'm not sure about signs of rut yet.
    I do know it's an off or low year in the cycle for walnuts and acorns as well, too wet this year for a garden really and
    I think that may have affected the nut yeild in a bad way as well.
    So one of the things I'm going to be looking for scouting is... Just how much activity are the deer doing in
    the white oak stands ?
    Are the deer and turkey going to be checking the white oaks (first to drop and least tanic) on a regular basis or will they be
    looking to other food sources in the next few weeks ?
    What to you all think ?

White oaks are sparse and light in crop. Red are hit and miss but loaded were they are. Apples seem to be wat they are killing right now from my homework.

Late night and early mornings have been down to the mid 40s here and there in the last few weeks,
    so it could be an early rut this year. I'll be checking last years rubs and scrape spots tomorrow, see
    what's goin on.
    Yup, not surprised about the apple raids, they wiped out my peach tree JUST before they got ripe again
    this year. It's kind of cool to watch them stand on two legs to reach the top but it's not so cool that
    we havn't had a peach pie since 2009. Wah.
    Almost time to can deer instead of peaches.

Got some pics of an 8 and a 9 fighting from two nights ago...also noticed some new rubs lately....cooler weather is here....I think I might put out a couple mock scrapes next week and see what kind of activity I get

VB / Pungo is par for the course. I haven't yet seen any overt indications of rut activity. However, I've been trying to stay very low-impact this year, so I haven't traveled too deep into my woods to check for rubs and scrapes. Looking over my notes from the past two years, the rubs should really start popping up soon.

I saw decent movement last weekend during the never-ending-tropical-Nor'easter-storm-thing, but only does. No bucks.

I'm optimistic for tomorrow. The "cold front" should settle in nicely tonight, and drizzling rain is predicted off-and-on for tomorrow. At this point in the season, I'll be happy with good movement.

Is anybody seeing anything special in the Hampton Roads area?

I am still seeing groups of bucks travelling together (cameras). Mostly at night, but a few around sundown as well. Rubs popping up, but no scrapes. I did start 2 mock scrapes recently so we will see how they do. Next Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be a good cold front...hoping they get on their feet and move during daylight

Gtsum: the bucks traveling together on your cams...are they younger bucks? I figured most bucks would be pretty much on their own by now.

Im not the best at aging deer...I would guess 2.5 year olds? two 6's and an 8...all there nice deer for around here. My buddy whose stand is about 400 yards away has pics of another group of 3 (different bucks) there at the same time as well..here are pics from his stand

HUNT0018.jpg

HUNT0115.jpg

HUNT0174.jpg

Just got back from the stand and had a doe under me at last light (too dark to shoot). Pulled the card on way out and saw this guy...never seen him before (been hunting here 3 years)..

HUNT0141.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hunt Ft. Belvoir. Bucks are coming one at a time past my cameras. All nocturnal at this point. In fact, most of the activity is still nocturnal. I haven't seen anything that looks like pre-rut activity on the cameras. No doe tending or anything like that.

I was thinking about taking Nov 11-15 off to hunt the rut...anyone think I should do the week after instead?

With this colder weather and from what I am seeing in central va, I would take the week before that

At my spot in Virginia Beach, I have several rubs/scrapes that are used each year in more-or-less the same spot. This week I finally saw that the rubs and scrapes are beginning to open up. Everything seems a little behind the curve from the last two years.

I saw a spike yesterday with a fairly swollen neck. He was scent checking trails; not cruising fast, just steady walking. I had used Evercalm on my boots, and a doe had walked on top of my trail after I got set up. The spike stayed on the same trail, nose to the ground, steady at it. I suspect, like most young bucks (4-legged and 2-legged), he's overly anxious to get the party started.

I also saw a small 6-pt way before daylight. I swear, the deer in my woods are perpetually nocturnal... Such is life...

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedBarrister View Post
    At my spot in Virginia Beach, I have several rubs/scrapes that are used each year in more-or-less the same spot. This week I finally saw that the rubs and scrapes are beginning to open up. Everything seems a little behind the curve from the last two years.

I saw a spike yesterday with a fairly swollen neck. He was scent checking trails; not cruising fast, just steady walking. I had used Evercalm on my boots, and a doe had walked on top of my trail after I got set up. The spike stayed on the same trail, nose to the ground, steady at it. I suspect, like most young bucks (4-legged and 2-legged), he's overly anxious to get the party started.

I also saw a small 6-pt way before daylight. I swear, the deer in my woods are perpetually nocturnal... Such is life...
    I know exactly how you feel. Seem like the bucks on my spots are the same way. They're there but never come out during day light. I am lucky if I get one crack at them in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtaylor0103 View Post
    I hunt Ft. Belvoir. Bucks are coming one at a time past my cameras. All nocturnal at this point. In fact, most of the activity is still nocturnal. I haven't seen anything that looks like pre-rut activity on the cameras. No doe tending or anything like that.

I was thinking about taking Nov 11-15 off to hunt the rut...anyone think I should do the week after instead?
    I took off 10/31-11/17......sure hope it gets busy during these few weeks.

Stafford and King George is same as you all are seeing. Night time, no rubs or scrapes yet.
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast