Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you smoke cigs while deer hunting?

Do you smoke cigs while deer hunting?

I've always smoked while I'm turkey hunting and in between calling / not seeing anything. But I've always been reluctant to smoke a cigarette anytime after I take my pre-hunt shower. I was reading a thread about smoking your gear as a cover scent, and some people mentioned they smoke cigarettes while in the stand.

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

Do deer not mind this? How many of you smokers smoke while you're in the woods?

I do not smoke but think of a lit cig as a wind/thermal indicator. Not like deer know what a cigarette smells like

I have in the past prior to quitting...bout the only thing you can count on seeing however is not so intelligent deer.

I have had to put mine out to shoot.

I used to smoke regularly on stand and had to put several out to shoot. The last few years I smoked very few on stand and I quit three months ago, so I solved that problem. My opinion from years of doing it, it's the moving normally associated with smoking that gets people busted more than the smoke.
    Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by STKA View Post
    I used to smoke regularly on stand and had to put several out to shoot. The last few years I smoked very few on stand and I quit three months ago, so I solved that problem. My opinion from years of doing it, it's the moving normally associated with smoking that gets people busted more than the smoke.
    Touche

I smoke, but use nicorette while hunting. Never smoke in the stand. Until saturday. Slow morning on a subpar property. Wind in my favor. BUSTED! Never again!

This...I've had to put one out to shoot multiple times. But I believe the movement is the real issue
    08 PSE XForce TS (29' 65#), HHA 5019, Rip Cord, Stokerized Concealment Hunter, Little Goose, CE Mayhems

Correct.

I have killed plenty of deer and good buck too, eventhough I smoke. I shot my nicest 8-pointer 3 years ago while smoking. I only smoke when the wind is in my favor and I usually just leave it hanging and don't keep trying to ash it.

A good tip for smokers:

Find an old film container like one you would get from an old 35mm camera. These will completely seal air tight, so when you are done with your cigarette, tear the cotton filter off and throw them in the film container. It will contain the smell from the filters.
    Insert signature here...

Quote Originally Posted by Yichi View Post
    Correct.

I have killed plenty of deer and good buck too, eventhough I smoke. I shot my nicest 8-pointer 3 years ago while smoking. I only smoke when the wind is in my favor and I usually just leave it hanging and don't keep trying to ash it.

A good tip for smokers:

Find an old film container like one you would get from an old 35mm camera. These will completely seal air tight, so when you are done with your cigarette, tear the cotton filter off and throw them in the film container. It will contain the smell from the filters.
    i've used a old medicine bottle before just like you said with the film container. just like a few others i've been smoking when deer walk in and had to put it out. only time i do smoke is if the wind is in my favor,and even if it is it will have to be a slow hunt not seeing anything and i might smoke 1 during a 4-5 hour sit

Only those who lack a certain level of intelligence smoke cigarettes...period.

With all the proven damage the cancer sticks do to your body...it is amazing anyone lights up anymore at all.
    Colorado water fowlers!!!
    Need goose decoys? I have over three dozen for sale/trade! Bigfoot B2's, Dakota sleeper shells, and a host of others. PM for details...

No but my sister in law does that b****

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post

With all the proven damage the cancer sticks do to your body...it is amazing anyone lights up anymore at all.
    ...or would make a comment like this.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

This, and what does it say if you can't quit for even 2 or 3 hours while hunting.

People are their own worst enemies.

I agree with doworkson, smoking cigarettes is just plain ignorant. Keep lighting up and taking days off your life.

Keep telling yourself whatever you need to!

The thing is this...if you ever, for any reason, have to rely on a government payout (Medicare/Medicaid) to take care of you, then my tax dollars are paying for your stupid acts. If you want to smoke, fine, but you should not, for any reason, be able to apply for government aid for your healthcare...period.

Otherwise, you are basically relying on other people/the government to take care of you for your stupidity, and no self-respecting fiscal conservative would allow for that, now would they?

Quote Originally Posted by LiteSpeed1 View Post
    ...or would make a comment like this.
    Need goose decoys? I have over three dozen for sale/trade! Bigfoot B2's, Dakota sleeper shells, and a host of others. PM for details...

I have to sort of agree. I can't believe in this day and age people still smoke cigarettes. I watched a friend lose her dad to cancer from smoking. First they took his entire lower jaw....he "lived" for a couple years like this. If you want to call it that.

Hey think of all the nice hunting stuff you could buy if you quit. Smoking is an expensive habit, that I'm really glad I don't have. Beer drinking on the other hand is a different story.

Albert Einstien smoked a pipe almost all his life. Im fairly certian (but might not be since you said that we are unintelligent) that he knew a thing or two...

Quote Originally Posted by pegasis0066 View Post
    This, and what does it say if you can't quit for even 2 or 3 hours while hunting.

People are their own worst enemies.
    So having maybe 2-3 on an all day sit (8-10 hrs) makes me my own worst enemy? Good to know...
    Insert signature here...

Quote Originally Posted by tdonovan55 View Post
    Hey think of all the nice hunting stuff you could buy if you quit. Smoking is an expensive habit, that I'm really glad I don't have. Beer drinking on the other hand is a different story.
    Beer is good for you, it saved out ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by matlocc View Post
    I have had to put mine out to shoot.
    Me too quite a few times. I bet I've seen more deer smoking. Plus I believe smoke rises...Just sayin
    bear truth 2, 64#, 29.5", mayhem 350's @29", with thunderheads(trying the Killzones), tree limb quiver, WB, 4 pin Ext. Archery Recon

Nope....never have touched the nasty things....smoking is for fools
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

Quote Originally Posted by I like Meat View Post
    Nope....never have touched the nasty things....smoking is for fools
    Glad I am not the only one who thinks this...

X2................... It causes cancer to you and the people you care about around you..

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this...

Quote Originally Posted by Yichi View Post
    Correct.

A good tip for smokers:

LOL because by that time the smoke will not have enveloped your clothes, hands, face, hair................

The thing with smoking on the stand is that you will never know how many deer that you don't see that are in your wind and choose an alternate path because of the smoke. We'll never know, but to me that is not a natural smell in the woods. I don't smoke but if I did I would take every measure within my power to give me the best shot at taking the deer I'm after. If that means leaving the cigs in the truck then so be it.

I'll tell you this right now though. If you try smoking around me with my hunting gear on you'll be reminded to be respectful to the other hunters that don't want to reek like an ash tray the rest of the day. Nothing pizzes me off more than inconsiderate smokers during hunting season.
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast