a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Climbing to 17+ ft. w/2 Muddy Sticks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by treeslinger2 View Post
    brokenlimbs????
    I think I'll just use the ole' climber!!
    beat me to it
    TEAM #6 SIX PACK

2013-2014 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #7 Magnificent Seven
    2011-2012 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #29 Booners and Backstraps

I think instead of doing all that I'll just use my climber....
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by rlbreakfield View Post
    I like the idea, I have a single step extensor on my bottom stick just to get a couple extra feet. And I love the idea of lightening the load since I walk long distances to stand on public ground mostly. My only concern is the movement of the straps on the wind. Do they flap around in the wind or are they heavy enough to stay stationary?
    The straps don't flap in "normal" wind. In heavier winds, they might. (like ~15 mph winds maybe) But even so: There is no white on the loose ends (tiny bit with the small connectors up high where there is movement.) Also, on stands that I return to, I typically leave the upper aider (& stick) in place for much of the season. (I suspect that movement over time on those stands actually becomes a plus. An old "Indian Trick" where you hang a towel from your stand when you first hang it, so that the deer become used to the movement.)

FYI: Knock on wood, thus far I've never had any issues going up/down (whatsoever), and I've even occasionally used this technique with my bulkier Irish Setter 1000gr. (winter) insulated boots.....
    (which is definitely "trickier") End of season, this technique allowed me to pull 6 stands in one "sortie" to quickly get everything out of the woods just before a big snowstorm this year on December 16'th! I pulled 10 of my stands two trips in just one day! (one afternoon) ~ All "harness stands", several of which used Flex-E ladders instead of sticks/aiders. The point is, the techniques I use make harness hunting a very light, portable & efficient. (for me anyways)

PS: As for the userID "BrokenLimbs", that refers to my 2003 TomKat (which blew a limb during practice and the blew the limb again during a poundage check at the dealer after limb had been replaced.)
    I thought it was both "catchy" and relevant when I joined a/t way back when. (And I thought I'd be posting a climbing technique like this. ~ But thinking of the two does give me a chuckle.)
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

So does it count if you only use 2 sticks but use a bunch of other stuff? lol

Well, all the other stuff still weighs less than more sticks. To each their own

Quote Originally Posted by tankdogg60 View Post
    So does it count if you only use 2 sticks but use a bunch of other stuff? lol
    Hunting @ 17+ ft. with only:
    ~5 lb. harness (including main tree line prusik)
    ~5 lb. sticks (2 Muddy)
    ~2 lbs (upper platform consisting of ratchet strap & two plastic steps)
    And maybe 10 ounces of aiders/straps.....
    Super quiet, super fast & easy to carry.

If I didn't harness hunt (no harness and no pivot platform), getting to 17 feet would weight in at only ~5.5 lbs + whatever a safety harness weighs!

Not saying it's safe or suggesting anyone else try it..... (In fact you shouldn't.)
    (And in general it doesn't work with "crooked" trees, but then again nor do climbers and/or ladders for the most part.)

But you do the math.... (And I personally trust both myself & the soft straps & harness way more than I trust any/all of the metal on any "conventional" stands/methods, including the sticks themselves.)
    (IMO, if something is going to fail, it will be the sticks. They are the weakest link.)
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLimbs View Post
    Hunting @ 17+ ft. with only:
    ~5 lb. harness (including main tree line prusik)
    ~5 lb. sticks (2 Muddy)
    ~2 lbs (upper platform consisting of ratchet strap & two plastic steps)
    And maybe 10 ounces of aiders/straps.....
    Super quiet, super fast & easy to carry.

If I didn't harness hunt (no harness and no pivot platform), getting to 17 feet would weight in at only ~5.5 lbs + whatever a safety harness weighs!

Not saying it's safe or suggesting anyone else try it..... (In fact you shouldn't.)
    (And in general it doesn't work with "crooked" trees, but then again nor do climbers and/or ladders for the most part.)

But you do the math.... (And I personally trust both myself & the soft straps & harness way more than I trust any/all of the metal on any "conventional" stands/methods, including the sticks themselves.)
    (IMO, if something is going to fail, it will be the sticks. They are the weakest link.)
    I was just giving you crap, as the title makes one believe you can get to 17' with only 2 Muddy sticks. Which IS true if you use several other ways of climbing. But the weakest link is absolutely the Muzzy sticks. I won't name names but I used to work with another hunting show several years ago and we used Muddy. One of our Pro Staff guys had a set break on him. The main brace in the middle broke completely in two while climbing and he fell. Luckily he wasn't far off of the ground. Have you tried these as a means of being light and portable? http://www.eders.com/product.php?pro...FTIV7AodbSkAeQ

I was just giving you crap, as the title makes one believe you can get to 17' with only 2 Muddy sticks. Which IS true if you use several other ways of climbing. But the weakest link is absolutely the Muzzy sticks. I won't name names but I used to work with another hunting show several years ago and we used Muddy. One of our Pro Staff guys had a set break on him. The main brace in the middle broke completely in two while climbing and he fell. Luckily he wasn't far off of the ground. Have you tried these as a means of being light and portable? http://www.eders.com/product.php?pro...FTIV7AodbSkAeQ
    Hi td60;

I knew you were joking. And yes I have used the Cranfords. In fact I will be using them this fall for some of the top pivot pegs on a ratchet after closing the open end. (instead of the recalled/no longer available ameristep plastic pegs) I've also used Climbpaws too. I continue to use the plastic (Ameristep) ones at top (pivot platform for harness hunting) because they are not critical with regards to safety/bearing weight. (The main harness/Prusik is what bears my weight in the harness.) Years ago I used to also use the Cranfords as a sole means of climbing (before I turned to harness hunting.) What I didn't like about them so much was the time involved in putting all of them around the tree. The method I presently use enables me to go up a fresh tree in a matter of minutes with very few items to secure.... (And I can "pull a stand" extremely fast after a hunt in the dark under a green light.)

Hi td60;

I knew you were joking. And yes I have used the Cranfords. In fact I will be using them this fall for some of the top pivot pegs on a ratchet after closing the open end. (instead of the recalled/no longer available ameristep plastic pegs) I've also used Climbpaws too. I continue to use the plastic (Ameristep) ones at top (pivot platform for harness hunting) because they are not critical with regards to safety/bearing weight. (The main harness/Prusik is what bears my weight in the harness.) Years ago I used to also use the Cranfords as a sole means of climbing (before I turned to harness hunting.) What I didn't like about them so much was the time involved in putting all of them around the tree. The method I presently use enables me to go up a fresh tree in a matter of minutes with very few items to secure.... (And I can "pull a stand" extremely fast after a hunt in the dark under a green light.)
    How do you like the harness hunting? You obviously enjoy it, just curious as the the pluses and minuses.

How do you like the harness hunting? You obviously enjoy it, just curious as the the pluses and minuses.
    The day I can no longer harness hunt is probably the day I give up bow hunting! Actually, that is not entirely true. I will most likely get a Guido's web for comfort.
    The only downside I can think of with the harness is staying comfortable and motion free. (particularly later in the season when foliage thins)
    The solution (to both of these) is the Guido's Web, although I believe there some loss in freedom of movement/agility with the web as compared to the harness.
    My friend just got one, so I can't wait to see how he does with it. (He was wildly impressed with what I can do from my harness.)
    I know he's going to need to go to a different connector (tree strap) to make it work well for bowhunting...... I've done the same with my harness years ago. (not to make it work well, but to reduce weight/bulk & sound etc.) I have 3 harnesses. One ageing leather one, one brand new (still in the package) leather one for backup, and one mesh one (lighter in weight & works exceptionally well with my climbing setup due to it's overall fit as it's a touch smaller than the other ones)

One thing for certain: A harness (IMO) is MUCH easier to shoot from than even when standing on a porch practicing once you become comfortable with how everything works. AND, I feel much safer in a harness than on any platform. You lean into the shot instead of worrying about bending at the wast (and or falling), and stability comes from the fact you are stabilized at the chest (due to the harness geometry) when shooting, and not by your feet. It's also pretty quite (for most shot opportunities when setup properly aka 240 degrees) and you can shoot almost 360 too.

Only downside is you need a fairly vertical tree (at least at the point where you setup/"hang" from) to get near 360 shooting. (Also required to facilitate comfort/quiet movement so you can get into the right position for a shooting opportunity.) This just happens to work perfectly with my climbing technique using the aiders.

I will hunt from a harness until I get to an age where I can no longer safely climb trees. (That should be quiet a long time from now, but the though does cross my mind.) At that point, I will either have learned to ground blind hut, or give up completely. (Going back to stand/ladder/climber or anything else does not seem like a smart or safe option to me.)

No smoke being blown here. This post comes from the heart. I attribute most of my success with a bow to harness hunting!

Disclaimer: I'm in pretty good shape (not skinny though by any means), I run spring through Labor-Day, and a harness can be tough on the knees and cold on the feet (pivot points) without the right boots. (This is another reason I am intrigued with the Guido's web as this alleviates most of these "downsides." One thing I don't like about the web is (unlike the harness) you have to give up your pack to wear the web into the woods... (I believe I have a viable solution for this though.)

Yes, it can be done with a few ultra lightweight "accessories."

Over the past few years, I've been trying to come up with an easy and lightweight/portable solution for "exploratory hunting." My "solution" works particularly well with "harness hunting." (aka: tree saddles) I've tried numerous different combinations and equipment over the past few years, and I finally have something that works! ~ It's fast, you don't sweat, and it's very portable/compact. It adds about 1 lb. of weight to the the two sticks. ~ For those interested, I should have a few photos this evening of my setup.....

WARNING: I'm not saying it's safe, or that you should even attempt it. In fact I suggest you don't because climbing sticks were not designed to work like this. That being said, I firmly believe that the climbing stick itself (being metal) is the "weakest part of the link." As with any climbing techniques, you must be extremely careful.

PS: This technique does not involve moving sticks while in the tree. Once there locked on, that's where they stay. Also, there is no crazy reaching, jumping or other crazy maneuvers involved. I've been climbing/hunting this way since last late October. (I'm 48 yrs. old, 210 lbs. & I'm in pretty good shape. (I do run/jog all summer long preparing for hunting season.) To be completely honest, I've become very comfortable climbing this way, and I've never had any issues. (Knock on wood?!?!)

Always wear a safety/linesman belt while climbing.

Components:

This gets you to almost 15 ft:
    2 muddy sticks (the ones with double steps that open up)
    2 Petzl climbing aiders http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00388SAFI (Important: These are relatively short 5 ft. aiders.)
    2 10mm "runners" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P3AUGG (connects aider to bottom part of Muddy Stick)
    (I loop these 1/2 way through the aider's "hanging loop" & hang them over the bottom foot pegs before "opening them.")

To get a few feet higher, I use these:
    Bottom "starter" step: 1 Cranford Industries EZY® Climb Folding Rope Tree Step
    Second step: 1 Jim Stepp "Stepp Ladder" step (It makes a decent "starter platform" for setting up the first stick & climbing etrier aka aider.
    (I suppose you could even use a second "starter" step if 20 ft. is your goal.)

Notes:

If a Muddy Stick ever "fails", things will "get ugly." Tree must be relatively straight to avoid aider from kicking out to the side, especially on the first 2 steps of the aider (safety consideration). ALSO: While feet are in the aiders, it's very important to maintain upper body leverage using the foot pegs on the sticks.

It's easiest to climb with lighter boots. I've used my winter ones too, but it is more difficult to get into "the stirrups" of the aiders. Also, a red light is not going to help. Green is OK while ascending/descending in the dark. (aiders have an orange step to help you see where to place boot) The first step on the aider (going down) is the most difficult one. The aiders I chose have a first step that is very short (I don't always use it.) But... When you're "struggling" to get your foot in while descending, it makes things easier. ~ It's actually a little easier going up than down because you have to "thread your foot" into the aider! ~ The good news is, it's impossible for the aider to become disconnected from the sticks, because the "runners" are "locked into place" when the pegs are opened. (as long as nothing is ripped/torn)

When I do a setup, I first go up the tree without bow or backpack. I keep a tether to the pack and pull it up afterwards. And to the pack, I have a "Doyle's retractable hoist which "unreels" as pack is lifted. Once pack is hung, I pull up the bow. ~ It's a "one trip up setup." Also: If I'm leaving the setup in a tree overnight and I know the tree "works well" with the muddy/aider combo, I bring everything up with me, instead of using the hoists. (pack on back, and bow hanging from my hip)

At ground level, I setup the starter step, the second step, and I also loosely place the first muddy stick (connected to the first aider) around the tree as high as I can reach. That way, I only have to climb with one muddy stick hanging from my waist (aider already attached).

PS: Muddy sticks are great for attaching the runners (connecting aider to stick) because of the smooth oval design of the foot peg mounts. (and the fact that they effectively lock the "runners" in)
    The petzl climbing aiders are 48 dollars a piece and you need 2 of them which is a 100 bucks, then the 2 10mm runners are 8 each or 16 for both! For that price I'll stick with my aluminum steps!
    No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTracker View Post
    The petzl climbing aiders are 48 dollars a piece and you need 2 of them which is a 100 bucks, then the 2 10mm runners are 8 each or 16 for both! For that price I'll stick with my aluminum steps!
    Do whatever makes sense for you. This thread wasn't about price or cost. It was about freedom, portability and alternatives.
    That being said, what aluminum steps are you referring to?

Are you connected from the ground up? Or are you only strapped in once you're up? Any videos with guys huntin this way online? You using the tree saddle or something similar?

Are you connected from the ground up? Or are you only strapped in once you're up? Any videos with guys huntin this way online? You using the tree saddle or something similar?
    Having watched me last season heading into the woods with hands free (using the late Trophyline Tree saddle to "hunt silent"): My friend will be using the same technique this fall with a Guido's web.
    (I suspect it will only be a matter of time before I give the web a shot for an edge in comfort. For now, having to trade off my sling pack for the Guido's web is still a deal-breaker to me.)

To answer your question: I should be, and for the most part do climb with my main line on the tree at all times. It's a bit more cumbersome and slower, but very "do-able." (explained below)

Not really visible in any of the photos (unless maybe you look hard enough for it snaked around my pack in one of the photos) my main tree strap is a custom strap that serves as a safety line.... It is a custom Prusik rope setup with loops on either end. I had it custom made (by a guy here on A/T) a little longer than typical, so that it coul be wrapped around the tree twice. (So it can't slip sideways while pivoting to extreme angles to get those harder shots you could never get with a normal treestand.) ~ This longer line just happens to work almost perfectly for using it as a safety line too!

When using my main tree strap as a "safety line" for climbing, All I have to do is wrap it around the tree once, and there is plenty of length to use it as a safety line. What I'm in the habit of doing (instead) is only attaching it (going up) after the second stick is in place. (Up to the first ~9 ft. I'm "on my own.") ~ At 10 ft. I attach the linesman belt so I have both hands free to quickly connect the second stick to the tree. At that point I connect the main line (the normal way) double wrapped around the tree and the second stick (before going any higher/climbing the second set of aiders.) The benefit of this is (going up) I never have to be disconnected from the tree beyond the first ~10ft. I also can usually get away without using my linesman belt twice.

Another main benefit doing it this way is realized during setup for setting up my "platform." (strap with pegs at 9 and 3 for pivoting around the tree) ~ Once I'm on the lower top step, I lift the strap up to eye level, adjust/lengthen the prusik setup & and "kneel" down (on the bottom step) leaving me with two free hands to attach the platform to the tree. Once it's secured, I move to the top step, raise the tree strap up to where it belongs & work the prusik knot back to shorten the length of my line for hunting.

Staying attached while going down is a little different. I use the linesman bet up top (only once) so that I can set unwrap & re-wrap my main strap (prusik rope) so it's only wrapped around the tree once. (So that it can slide easily downward when not under tension.) Dropping it as low as I can, I begin climb down. Once I get to the ground, I disconnect from the tree. Even if I'm pulling the stand I don't need the linesman belt, because the Muddy's can be easily removed with only one free hand as the other one holds me close to the tree.

It's also very possible to just keep the linesman belt around the tree at all times (as loose as possible) without even using the tree strap to remain connected. But a linesman belt doesn't necessarily keep you in a tree if you fall as it can slide down the tree with you, unless it catches on a footpeg. (Plus, you have to hang it properly on the pegs above you if you don't want to struggle with it being perpetually caught around the back side of the tree while going up.)

WARNING: The other thing with using the linesman belt with the built-in loops (for fall safety) is that the loops on the saddle were really designed to enable you to free your hands while "setting up" topside ONLY. I've read that some people have tried to use these loops (with the linesman belt attached) integrated into different climbing techniques where the loops become "stressed." And in doing so, some have actually reported ripping out the loops out of the harness.... (Don't say you weren't warned!) ~ Because of this, I would personally feel much safer not relying on them at all. (Knowing that doing so could weaken them to the point where they could possibly fail later on, when you're using them for the purpose intended.)

One factor I personally take into consideration when climbing using any technique is time: No matter how you slice it there is a trade-off between time and safety..... If doing something marginally "safer" takes 10 minutes, whereas doing it another way only takes 2, you're exposed yourself to risk for a much longer period of time. (especially after factoring in muscle fatigue etc.) Regardless: No matter how you climb, or what safety precautions you take.... CLIMBING TREES CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!

I firmly believe in always being tethered to a tree. (That's one reason besides it's effectiveness that I wholeheartedly believe in hunting from a harness.) That being said, I've been in many situations where being tethered in a certain way made it significantly more difficult to climb. So whatever you do, make certain your safety techniques don't introduce other risks you never anticipated. Also, it is paramount that (if you choose to climb trees) that you are comfortable and confident using whatever technique you use!

PS: I have thought of using the strap (at the back of my harness) as the safety tether point. (It's hard to reach, but I may try and add an extender to make it easier to grab.) If I do so, this would enable me to have the strap attached behind me and out of the way while climbing/descending. (This may introduce other issues, as I have not tried it as of yet.) Even so: Although I totally trust the harness for hunting (while connected to the tree using the custom prusik rope setup), I don't think I want to rely on the saddle for a "hard fall" when tethered to a tree using the other built-in connection points!

~Bob

As for video:
    I don't have any videos, only a few photos. (There's quite a few on YouTube though.) I stopped worrying about "trying to film" (used a Vholdr HD camera strapped around my head/cap) in the woods after realizing I perpetually forgot to turn it on in time. (The one time I did: All that got filmed was an arrow float right over the deer's back. ~ This was about 5 years ago, my first season with the camera.) The one other time was a few years back. It was cold and I thought I had turned it on, NOT! (due to the button being really stiff) ~ Thought I had captured nearly 20 minutes of up-close video of deer feeding, crunching acorns almost directly below my stand!) After that the camera stayed home...... It was originally purchased "thinking": "It would be neat to share my hunting experiences with others." Bad luck, I don't know. But ever since I gave up on worrying about it/bringing it/using it, the problems seemed to "go away."

Hey guys, got tired of explaining my User ID (especially after posting this thread.) So it's now "explained" in my signature at bottom of each post.....
    (I did find the "tongue in cheek" remarks rather humorous though.)

If it were not for the fact that climbing is very SERIOUS and potentially very DANGEROUS..... I must admit that it's rather "ironic" that a UserID named "BrokenLimbs would start a topic like this.")

Time to "shake & re-wake this thread!" Season's coming SOON!!!!!!!

I just bought a Guidos web and have researched a TON on alternate climbing methods to cut down on weight. I have used a climber for years and I also film so carrying a huge climber with video gear was really limiting how far I could go. I have four Muddy sticks and have been messing with web extensions on all of them. Yesterday I tried the one stick method of climbing up, sitting down in the web, and then sliding the stick up and repeating. I made it to 30' in about five minutes and it was actually way easier than I thought it would be! I think I will carry two sticks with aiders on each one and then just move the top stick to get to my desired height. Carrying the web with only two sticks is pretty nice! I feel completely free compared to my API climber I was using.
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

Does anyone else see the irony with the op's screen name
    2012 Elite Pulse 28" 70lb
    2010 PSE bowmadness 28" 60lb

Not for this big guy!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobuckboy65 View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony with the op's screen name
    LOL!!!... The user ID is explained in my signature that shows below my posts..... (for this very reason)
    The mobile system that I use works better for me than anything else I have ever tried. (seriously) ~ And I ain't no "spring chicken", either.....
    And not that am suggesting anyone else copy what I am doing, but for me: It is THE safest (IMO) and definitely quickest, lightest & quietest methods of climbing I've ever used. Nothing else even comes close!
    (It's worth mentioning that I've tried quite a few different setups/techniques on my journey to this portable climbing solution.)

And honestly, from a structural standpoint, because of the way I connect the "software" (the aiders & connector strap), there is less stress on the sticks when I'm on the aiders than when standing on the footsteps themselves. The straps I use are rated for something like 7500 lbs weight. (Several tons more than the sticks themselves.) If anything is going to fail, it would be the sticks themselves, and they'd fail all on their own! (I also have both hands on the footsteps while my feet are in the straps, so it's pretty stable too!)

Quote Originally Posted by FearNot View Post
    Not for this big guy!
    FYI: I'm 49 yrs. "young", 5'10" tall weighing in @ ~200lbs. (gear not included) This will be my 3'rd season climbing like this. (And I do have hundreds of hunts worth of experience using this exact technique with no problems/issues.) ~ I'm sure that being in pretty good shape helps quite a bit too though.

WARNING: I'm not saying it's safe, or that you should even attempt it. In fact I suggest you don't because climbing sticks were not designed to work like this. That being said, I firmly believe that the climbing stick itself (being metal) is the "weakest part of the link." As with any climbing techniques, you must be extremely careful.

Ha Ha Ha... The user ID is explained in my signature.....
    The mobile system that I use works better for me than anything else I have ever tried. (seriously) ~ And I ain't no "spring chicken", either.....
    And not that am suggesting anyone else copy what I am doing, but for me: It is THE safest (IMO) and definitely quickest, lightest & quietest methods of climbing I've ever used. Nothing else even comes close!

And honestly, from a structural standpoint, there is less stress on the sticks when I'm on the aiders than when standing on the footsteps themselves. The straps I use are rated for something like 7500 lbs weight. (Several tons more than the sticks themselves.)
    If anything is going to fail, it is the sticks themselves, and they'd fail all on their own! Also, since I have both hands on the footsteps while my feet are in the straps, it's pretty stable too.
    Lol I was just kidding bout it
    2012 Elite Pulse 28" 70lb
    2010 PSE bowmadness 28" 60lb

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobuckboy65 View Post
    Lol I was just kidding bout it
    I knew that! (I actually changed my signature last fall in response to posting this technique here for other hunters.)

It probably looks a lot more "intimidating" than it actually is. The truth is, I really like climbing this way. The "jump step" (Jim Stepp) component is the most troublesome part. ~ But since that's near the base of the tree (3 ft. booster step to get to 17+ ft.), I don't worry about it much.....

I was truly surprised (amazed actually) to find out how well it actually did work! Had I not had a "near catastrophic mishap" while experimenting with the aiders and the Jim Stepp "Stepp Ladder" steps three years ago, I wouldn't have ever thought of trying this combination. (It was almost out of frustration that I stumbled upon this "magic combination." ~ I had the equipment in front of me and was looking for a "Plan-B." I essentially "stumbled upon" this method.)

Where did you buy those aiders? I made my own out of webbing and they work pretty good but the ones you have look really good and seem to lay right with the steps in the right position.
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

Quote Originally Posted by flinginairos View Post
    Where did you buy those aiders? I made my own out of webbing and they work pretty good but the ones you have look really good and seem to lay right with the steps in the right position.
    Petzl LOOPING etrier C25
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00388SAFI

Setup does lay perfectly! (I use a small connector to make them both lay flat & be "easy on, easy off".)

Dogbone Dynex 30cm runners: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P3AUGG
    I slip them through the aider (centered) and then place both loops over the pegs before opening them.

PS: They always seem to have 2 of these in stock. I've accumulated about 5 of them, and sometimes leave one hanging from the top stick for stands I frequently hunt out of.
    (Pulling the lower stick & aider setup makes it difficult for others to reach them, unless they have sticks with them. And that way I only have to take one stick & aider with me to hunt the stand.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast