Archery Talk Forum banner

GTX vs Spiral cams

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DogWoman 
#1 ·
I am considering going all in to shoot 3 spot and 3D. I have a 24 3/8" DL and shoot my CE at 45 lbs. I am looking at the Pro Comp Elite FX and wonder about the cams. Which one is better and WHY? I see that the speed on the GTX is faster but at my DL is that a big difference? My CE speed is 218 fps for hunting.

I am looking for a SOLID back wall.

#2 ·
I have a pro comp XL and before a Advantage elite
the elite with gtx and pro comp with spiral
when I came to this site I read stories of spiral being finicky small window and so on but best for back tension

now I can say spiral is to me much better than gtx in all department

#7 ·
Spirals - great tunability, extremely narrow draw length adjustment. Medium hard back wall. It forces you to stay into the shot, but you get great speed and a pretty smooth draw cycle.

GTX - decent tunability, 1.5" draw length adjustment per cam family. Medium back wall. You can tune the GTX to have a narrower valley. Speed is lower than the Spirals, but faster than the original Cam and a Half and C.5 Plus cams.

My take on it (from building custom short draw Hoyt target bows for the past two years), I would use the GTX #1 cam for the PCEFX.

Some other minor things to ponder.

One - we don't have tune charts yet for the PCEFX. I would estimate that you would use either a Spiral 1.5 (24" DL) or a Spiral 2.0 (24.5" DL).

Two, Hoyt's at the short end tends to be long. I know that a Contender Elite with both GTX and C.5#1 cams actually are 1/2" longer than spec. I have to retune and reharness my students bows to achieve the true draw length needed.

Three, if I assume your use of "CE" to be a Contender Elite, you could order a set of GTX #1 cams and new string/cable sets and upgrade your Contender Elite to be a faster bow.

Four, if your use of "CE" is a Carbon Element, get with Ray Knight here on AT and upgrade your Carbon Element to Spirals. You will get smoother draw cycles and faster speeds out of it.

Hope this helps,
Steve

#8 ·
Thanks!

Am I correct in thinking that the Spiral cams have a narrow valley. Does this cause them to be too "aggressive"?

I am considering the Pro Comp Elite XL as my first target bow. I have been shooting a mission venture for the past couple of years and am starting to enjoy shooting at spots more than anything else. Would the spirals be to mush for a first target bow? would the GTX cams be more forgiving initially? and them maybe switch to spirals?

#9 ·
You can tune it to have a slightly larger valley.

Now, I'm a Spiral fan. I love Spirals so much that it's on my target bows and my hunting bow.

With that being said, I would recommend the GTX cam, just for the sheer adjustability of it. Once you know your draw length with a Hoyt, you can always migrate your bow to Spirals.

Spirals aren't too much for a first target bow. It is best to have access to a press and/or someone that can tune it. Once the bow is tuned to your liking, you'd love spirals. But, that my opinion.

#12 ·
Beastmaster, CE was Carbon Element. I went with the GTX but I will have the opportunity to shoot a Spiral with the same setup since the wife of the manager at the pro shop is getting one too! If I like the Spirals, we can make those adjustments. At this point, not sure about speed. Since I'm shooting indoors at 20 yards, that's not at issue. However, I know if I do 3D that will add another dimension.
Thanks for the info to upgrade my Carbon with spirals. That could be a good thing since that is my hunting bow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.