a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Virginia Rut thread

going to hit the woods for a (rare for me) mid day hunt Friday after kids get on bus for school. Hoping the cooler weather (friday) will get something going. I have noticed on my cams that the bucks are not coming into the acorns (I found a few trees dropping where I shot two at so far) like they were a week ago or so...maybe things will start to get going here in central va?

Still seeing the same, or lack thereof, as everyone else. Although when I drive the back roads at night around where I hunt, I am seeing plenty of deer movement. Tonight I saw two different mature bucks in pursuit of doe's at around 9pm. Not showing up on my trail cams though. Last year for me was pretty similar and I only got a chance at one mature buck after plenty of hours in the stand. Hope that's not the case this year.

I was planning on heading out Wednesday afternoon to a remote Public land; with the reports it might be 50 50 decision at the last minute. We'll see.

Interesting thing; in Maryland, next door to Virginia, the City deer look to be in rut or near rut while the remote Public land deer are not there yet. On private Park land in the city I'm seeing scrapes, rubs near low branches and actually bucks rubbing on saplings (to pass time I take a scope with me to work and spy on them - coming and going). Also, interesting in the City parks I'm seeing big bucks; I was going down a main road and saw a 8 to 10 point on the side of the road; I slowed my speed and what follows that buck - a monster 12 point buck. Last year I saw city police on Hike and Bike trails feeding deer corn; tax payer money.

A different buck in the same area was small 8 points but his body was well over 200 pounds easily. I haven't seen the 12 point but that one time. Amazing how they stash themselves all day long.

They are chasing does now in northern VA.
    Originally Posted by amcmullen "It's the rut, awesome can happen ANY time!"
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Element
    2007 my first Pope and Young buck
    Virginia Bowhunter's Association member

Chasing in Augusta county
    SLING'EM STRAIGHT!!!!

Been hunting for about 12 hours over the last three days here in culpeper. Haven't seen a single deer, no fresh tracks. Just some old Buck rub and bear scat.....what's going on? Where are the deer?

I hunt in King William and only seen a few doe and couple yearlings. My father in law is hunting Montpelier this year, he said yesterday they were chasing hard. Yet to see how its looking for him today. I'm really hoping F&S is right that the rut will kick in full blast this weekend after our rain storm tomorrow.

I'm working from home today and just now (10am) glanced out the kitchen window and saw a little 6pt (I think) on the heels of a doe run across my backyard! This is in Powhatan Co. I wasn't planning to hunt today (thinking that Friday's promise of chilly weather following tomorrow's rain might be perfect), but geez maybe I should try to head out this afternoon...
    <')))><
    Living he loved me, dying he saved me.

Need change? Break a BUCK into four quarters!

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
    I'm working from home today and just now (10am) glanced out the kitchen window and saw a little 6pt (I think) on the heels of a doe run across my backyard! This is in Powhatan Co. I wasn't planning to hunt today (thinking that Friday's promise of chilly weather following tomorrow's rain might be perfect), but geez maybe I should try to head out this afternoon...
    I'm hoping that with the rain tomorrow, might spike some activity this evening.

Last night in a bean field I had does get pushed around multiple times by a 5-point that maybe is 14inches wide and then, right at dark, a bigger buck was pushing them but it was just too dark and too far for a shot. This a.m. I spooked one before first light, and around 0830 I hit the grunt call and in 5min a 16in 7-point came by. No shot and I'm still on the fence about that deer because there are other bigger bucks on camera from August.
    2011 Elite Pure 60#_Scott Sabertooth_Spott Hogg Right On 5pin_TT SmackDown Pro
    So smooth it is scary

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post
    Here in Powhatan, have seen a bunch of does, but not a single buck >4pt. It's odd, as this time last year, we had 130 - 140 class bucks running around on cams and under stands... I've been fortunate enough to harvest three does with the bow thus far, and the only indication I've seen of things possibly heating up was last night... I drove my doe down to the processor ~8:45pm and probably saw 40 deer on the way (luckily, didn't connect with any with the F-150), including a ton of small bucks crossing the road. I take this to mean that our recent cold weather might be stirring up some love interests...
    Powhatan what processor do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    I am in Chesterfield with you. I use Mast's Meats but its a heck of a hike out there but they seem to be the closest. Where do you take yours?

Are you still not seeing anything? They are on the move around me but just at night. Very frustrating. Take a drive on some of the back roads around here later at night. I'll guarantee you'll see bucks moving with noses to the ground. But they're like ghosts come day break.

Louisa county buck this morning and his glands are dark and stank!

1 Tim 4:1-3 = The Spirit clearly says that in latter times...Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

As I type this I'm logging my 41st hour in stand this week. I've seen some good doe movement, morning especially. 7 deer 13 turkey so far(9am). But I've yet to see a buck and doe even in the same place much less chasing. The only bucks I've seen are still running together. Seeing a lot more road kill than usual though, unless all the action is taking place at night I guess it's just not time here. I'm going to keep at it but I'm starting to get impatient, anyone else having the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Last year and for two deer this year, I used Mast Meats in Amelia -- I think they might be operating now as "Country Road Meats," but in any event, I've been very happy with the final product. For the other deer this year, I used Outdoorsman Taxidermy & Wild Game Processing in Powhatan -- have yet to pick up the venison, but the facilities and people are super-nice, and I'm prepared to be further impressed. In both cases, the deer you drop off will be the deer you pick up, post-processing... I know that sounds elementary; however, I think quite a few processors still view meat as just meat generically (I try to spend time with carefully field-dressing and handling my deer, so I like the fact that both companies do a really good job of tracking each deer through processing... By contrast, I've heard stories from buddies in other regions re: dropping off archery deer only to pick up processed venison that was later found to be full of lead shot -- you won't have to worry about it with these two processors).

Has anyone around Richmond used a New Kent processor named, "Burks Farm"? I stumbled across their website, which looks really nice: http://burksfarmvirginia.com/deer-processing/
    <')))><

I have used Mast Meats the last 4 years. They are a little slow this year (they still have two of mine), but likely because I got some summer sausage. I have heard good things about the one in Powhatan also

Quote Originally Posted by JLSupertramp View Post
    As I type this I'm logging my 41st hour in stand this week. I've seen some good doe movement, morning especially. 7 deer 13 turkey so far(9am). But I've yet to see a buck and doe even in the same place much less chasing. The only bucks I've seen are still running together. Seeing a lot more road kill than usual though, unless all the action is taking place at night I guess it's just not time here. I'm going to keep at it but I'm starting to get impatient, anyone else having the same problem?

...JLSuper I feel ya i posted this in another thread last night - see below

I don't know... just got out home from a 2 hour drive hunt been there most of the day 3rd day hunting in a row, tried public land yesterday and back on private seems like these central deer just aren't moving, chasing or scraping or just aren't wanting to come in front of me (or my 2 other buddies) - feeling frustrated but ill still be out there tomorrow any one else feeling down and wanna cry about it with me? Good pics ya'll keep up the good work and congrats

King William actually got movement today, didn't have a shot on my buck this morning. Moved to a different spot set up scent wick and 15 min another buck came through. When I pulled up my rifle I couldn't get site of him anymore... but MOVEMENT!! FINALLY

Quote Originally Posted by summers97 View Post
    I am in Chesterfield with you. I use Mast's Meats but its a heck of a hike out there but they seem to be the closest. Where do you take yours?

Are you still not seeing anything? They are on the move around me but just at night. Very frustrating. Take a drive on some of the back roads around here later at night. I'll guarantee you'll see bucks moving with noses to the ground. But they're like ghosts come day break.
    I use Mast's and and have also used Outdoorsman Taxidermy, both are a haul from where I am by Woodlake. May actually try to do my own if I can ever see a deer this year LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by scottduncan1234 View Post
    ...JLSuper I feel ya i posted this in another thread last night - see below

I don't know... just got out home from a 2 hour drive hunt been there most of the day 3rd day hunting in a row, tried public land yesterday and back on private seems like these central deer just aren't moving, chasing or scraping or just aren't wanting to come in front of me (or my 2 other buddies) - feeling frustrated but ill still be out there tomorrow any one else feeling down and wanna cry about it with me? Good pics ya'll keep up the good work and congrats
    Well I hate to hear you're struggling as well but it's good to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully things will pick up for us today and put an end to our little pity party. Yesterday evening I did see two of the smaller bucks that were running together earlier this week split up and hanging around two different does so hopefully it's a step in the right direction. 2 does so far for me this morning. Good luck today, let me know how it goes.

Quite a few deer moving this morning -- wow, it was chilly ('bout time). Had a little 4ptr hang out beneath the stand for ~10mins until he trotted off and joined a doe and her fawn. Thirty minutes later, he walks back and out of sight... Thirty minutes later, here he comes again. Ha. Also had a button buck come down the trail at 10am, and then retrace his steps at 10:30... They seemed to be out trolling for some ladies. Hope their grandpas start doing the same.
    <')))><

It's dead in around Grayson county. Not seein a deer or sign. I've hunted all my money spots and deer are nowhere to be found. But I hunt public ground.

Lots of movement down here yesterday. It was the only either sex day of the early muzzleloader season and I heard quite a few shots in the morning. Had a young buck chasing a couple of does come by me on three different occasions. There was a spike tagging along trying to get in on the action but he kept getting run off.

Killed a small buck on Friday morning, had another small one come in sat morning but I passed on him since I only have one buck tag left. I haven't seen very many does this season, my only shot opportunities have been on spikes. Taking my son out tomorrow, hope to see some movement just so he can see some deer. He's only 6 so he's just a passenger for now.

Starting October 5 I have been out every Saturday and have not even seen 1 deer in over a month. I really do not know what is going on. Last year where I hunt I saw double digit number of deer every time I went out. I am not sure what is going on. I know they are there because we see them at night. There is no movement during the day right now.
    Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way (s)he should go: and when (s)he is old, (s)he will not depart from it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast