Thread: Should I hunt or not?

Should I hunt or not?

Ok guys I just went and put out some corn and trail cam yesterday. Would it be bad to go out and hunt this after noon or should I give it a few day to be able to see what times the deer are fitting the feed and what not. The reason I ask is I don't want to pressure the spot and spook the deer. What do you think guys.

If you put it out today, or even yesterday. Then give it time to work its magic. While bailing works most of the time. You still need that conditioning time. To allow what's in the area to feel comfortable. That being said, you can always think about how the bucks are traveling this time of year. They're spread out and cruising. So a substantial meal just laying there is a good draw for a cruising buck. If it were me ( we can't bait here) I would give it a day maybe two. Then try and hunt over it. Try not to travel to and from the site in the same direction every time either. Be aware of the wind and play that as well. Go in quiet and leave quiet.

We put out corn with Beast Feast mixed in with it and hung a cuddeback seen on it on the edge of an old scrub brush field that borders a large thicket at 3:30pm (before the time changed). Had one of our shooter bucks show up that evening 5:45pm literally 45 minutes before dark. We choose not to hunt it and give it a couple days.. That was a mistake! He was there that evening and the next morning during shooting light!! What's the chances of that happening? After we got the pics we hung a stand and never seen him again on that corn. My buddy ended up getting him a week later at the opposite end of the field which is planted in clover.. He probably stopped coming to the corn because of the noise we made hanging the stand. Given the fact he was probably bedded within 75-100 yards back from the corn in the thicket he most likely changed his pattern to coming out on the other end.. Worked out well for my buddy! He grossed 147 & 2/8ths.

Most importantly hunt the correct winds.. I don't think you need days for it to "start" working. Once they smell it and discover it they will come; could be days, could be hours in my case!

BRYAN BUCK.jpg

If you have unlimited hunting time you might wait. I sure wouldn't wait. I have limited time, and a lot of the pics I have on camera are a one time show, so you need to be there the first and sometimes only time they show up.

I would hunt. The deer are not to worried about food right now anyway. They are focusing on breeding. Put as much time in the woods as you can. Like above post, worry more about the wind when you hunt that stand.
    New Breed Eclipse
    New Breed Archery

Is baiting legal in Kansas? (poster's location)

Shadow Man
    Taking Game from Here to the Hereafter.

As far as I know baiting is legal here in Kansas. It has been 2 days snow and I think I'm going out in the early morning. I do not have unlimited time to hunt. I coach wrestling and season is about to start here in Kansas so my hunting time is coming to a slow crawl.

Thanks for all the help guys.