a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Which release for new archer?

Which release for new archer?

I just started getting into archery and I'm wanting to try out a new release. Currently shooting a Scott Caliper which is the only release I've used. I'd like to try one of the hook releases and I'm wondering which one would suit me best. I'm looking at the:

Tru Ball Beast II
    Tru Fire Hardcore
    Scott Rhino XT

Of these three I think I'm leaning towards the Tru Fire Hardcore. I like the fact that it folds out of the way and how the hook is in the centerline of the head. I also like how the head pivots to reduce torque.

Is there anything I'm missing on the other two releases? I've never used the hook style releases before. Are they good for hunting and backyard shooting?

Spot Hogg Wiseguy Carter RX1
    PSE Supra Max
    MBG Ascent Ambush Dovetail
    Spot Hogg Edge
    Scott Longhorn
    Beestinger Stabilizers

The hook style release will give you a quicker, cleaner release. The Scott rhino is also a good release for what you need. If you really want to step up your ability, invest in a carter, Stan Shootoff , or Scott exxus. Truly top of the line and the best all around thumb releases. If you're going to learn, learn using the best there is.

I love my True Fire Hardcore
    2014 Matthews Chill SDX..Cause I shoot like a Girl
    2013 Sniper LT Stormy Original/Black 70lbs
    Grim Reaper Broadheads
    Breathns Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Splitshafts View Post
    The hook style release will give you a quicker, cleaner release. The Scott rhino is also a good release for what you need. If you really want to step up your ability, invest in a carter, Stan Shootoff , or Scott exxus. Truly top of the line and the best all around thumb releases. If you're going to learn, learn using the best there is.
    I'm very interested in learning to shoot in the most accurate manner. Why do you say a thumb release is the best? Why are there so many different style releases? Are there benefits to thin releases over wrist releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandango1 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the hardcore of the three I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandango1 View Post

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
    I'm very interested in learning to shoot in the most accurate manner. Why do you say a thumb release is the best? Why are there so many different style releases? Are there benefits to thin releases over wrist releases?

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the hardcore of the three I listed.
    The difference is night and day. You need to shoot the two styles to see. The thumb release style or type will take some getting used to. Seeing as your new to archery it should be easier for you to learn. Than if you were shooting A wrist caliper style for quite some time. A true thumb release will shoot better and make you a better shooter. Not to say that you cannot shoot well with a wrist style release. I use a wrist caliper ( Scott shark) primarily for hunting. I use a thumb release ( Stan Shootoff) when I'm shooting 3d or spot targets as well as hunting at times. Just a better release. If you want, do a search on here. You'll find many threads discussing the benefits and the problems that come with shooting a thumb or caliper release. The Scott exuss (sp?) is a perfect example of the two types married. It can be attached to a lanyard that is attached to a wrist strap. Or....it can just be left clipped to your D loop. Waiting for you to shoot in your stand or on the shooting line.

I have a Tru-Ball Short N Sweet 2 which is the one with the swept back trigger the Short N Sweet 1 has a normal trigger on it. Might give them a look.
    Nothing Ventured...Nothing Gained
    2013 Bowtech Experience 27-1/2" draw at 40lbs.
    12" front stabilizer and SSI side bar. Quad drop a way rest.
    Home made 452x custom string and cables. HHA slider sight w/ 4x lens.

I would stick with Scott I really like mine. It is super smooth and is very consistent.

Tru-Fire Hardcore Max.
    GO BUCKS!!!
    2013 EVO Max - Skullworks
    2013 PROPHECY Skullworks
    2012 Stinger 3G
    Hunt Hard, Shoot Straight, Kill Clean, Apologize To No One.... PX.

Get a Carter Lucky or Like Mike. They are the best releases I have ever shot. They both have absolutely no slop, nice clean breaks, and are very adjustable.
    "As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live." -Saint John Paul II
    Hoyt CST, Spot Hogg, Gold Tip

So I looked on YouTube for some info on thumb releases. Are these the same as back tension releases? Can someone point me to some threads explaining the benefits of these type releases?

The beast 2 by TRU Ball is a fantastic release! they are very well made!
    http://truball.com/theBeast.html

Back tension does not have a trigger on it and uses the motion of you wrist whereas the thumb release have a trigger to release the hook or jaw here are some examples of each. Back tension is normally for target shooting and thumb is normally for hunting.
    good starter back tension http://truball.com/SweetSpot.html thumb release http://truball.com/ProDiamondXtreme.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kellg79 View Post
    Back tension does not have a trigger on it and uses the motion of you wrist whereas the thumb release have a trigger to release the hook or jaw here are some examples of each. Back tension is normally for target shooting and thumb is normally for hunting.
    good starter back tension http://truball.com/SweetSpot.html thumb release http://truball.com/ProDiamondXtreme.html
    Thank you.

I was looking to make a change too. I currently shot the Scott saberthoot and i wanna switch to a tumb release. I tried the carter 4 model and i love it but my only concern was the noise this release made when you arm it and attach it to your d-loop. Anyone know if a company made silent thumb release for hunting ?

Invest in a high quality release either Scott Exxus or a Stan Shootoff. It will be a smart decision.
    2014 Elite E32 Ninja
    26.5 in. 70 lbs.
    Beman ICS 400, Slick Trick 100 gr. broadheads
    QAD HDX, Scott Exxus

I am shooting the Tru-Fire Hardcore Max now and I like it so far. I had the Carter RX-1 and it misfires from time to time. I am scared of it, but I plan to send it back. If anyone is interested in it I will sell it, but as of now I am going to return it. It is a good release, but safety and a blown hunt is a major concern for me.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I went to Bass Pro Shops today and tried a couple different releases. I shot the Tru Fire Hardcore, the Spot Hogg Wiseguy, a Tru Fire Edge 4, and another Tru Fire caliper release.

I'd have to say that the Hardcore was best of the wrist releases I tried. But I gotta admit that my groups were quite a bit tighter with the thumb release. I had never shot one before so I just shot it how the guy told me to and I'm not sure if I was doing it right but it was working pretty good.

The thumb trigger on he release was spring loaded so he told me to grab the trigger and rotate my wrist until the shot went off. It felt pretty awkward but the shot surprised me every time and my groups were pretty darn tight.

Now I'm leaning towards a thumb style release. My thought is that since I'm new to archery I might as well start with what's going to make me the best archer instead of learning on a wrist style and switching later on.

What would be a good entry level thumb style for someone who's starting out? I don't know if I want to throw down $150 plus on a release just yet. Are there any good ones in the sub $150 category?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moose View Post
    I have a Tru-Ball Short N Sweet 2 which is the one with the swept back trigger the Short N Sweet 1 has a normal trigger on it. Might give them a look.
    These are really good, I prefer the S1 model

Quote Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I went to Bass Pro Shops today and tried a couple different releases. I shot the Tru Fire Hardcore, the Spot Hogg Wiseguy, a Tru Fire Edge 4, and another Tru Fire caliper release.

I'd have to say that the Hardcore was best of the wrist releases I tried. But I gotta admit that my groups were quite a bit tighter with the thumb release. I had never shot one before so I just shot it how the guy told me to and I'm not sure if I was doing it right but it was working pretty good.

The thumb trigger on he release was spring loaded so he told me to grab the trigger and rotate my wrist until the shot went off. It felt pretty awkward but the shot surprised me every time and my groups were pretty darn tight.

Now I'm leaning towards a thumb style release. My thought is that since I'm new to archery I might as well start with what's going to make me the best archer instead of learning on a wrist style and switching later on.

What would be a good entry level thumb style for someone who's starting out? I don't know if I want to throw down $150 plus on a release just yet. Are there any good ones in the sub $150 category?
    Look in the classified right here on AT a Carter or a Stan would fit the bill, but don't give up on the wrist strap releases, you just tried them for awhile and you will improve with more practice. Rome was not built over night. Cheers roscoe

Just understand the Rhino has a heavier triggerpull than its brother the Silverhorn.

Personally here in a month or so when I have the money I plan on either getting one of those or the Spott Hogg Wiseguy nylong strap version

You mentioned "I don't know if I want to throw down $150 plus on a release just yet. Are there any good ones in the sub $150 category ?"

Trust me you get what you pay for. The high end releases are worth every penny. I did recently and it was the best decision I have made, and I wondered why I didn't invest in a great release from start? Esp if you prefer a thumb release as well the Scott Exxus or Stan shootoff are great choices.
    2014 Elite E32 Ninja
    26.5 in. 70 lbs.
    Beman ICS 400, Slick Trick 100 gr. broadheads
    QAD HDX, Scott Exxus

By reading your post you may be a person who really is ready to learn to shoot a thumb trigger, you need to do some good research and learn the proper methods for shooting one and going to grivtech.com is a good place to begin. I teach hinge shooting and thumb trigger shooting all the time so you can also pm me and I can lead you in the right direction.

Absolutely do not waste your money on a cheap thumb trigger, get a truball boss x or a stan sx2 or a truball absolute 360 or a scott exxus. Any of these are good and will serve you well and have awesome triggers, I personally would also suggest getting a three finger model.

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    By reading your post you may be a person who really is ready to learn to shoot a thumb trigger, you need to do some good research and learn the proper methods for shooting one and going to grivtech.com is a good place to begin. I teach hinge shooting and thumb trigger shooting all the time so you can also pm me and I can lead you in the right direction.

Absolutely do not waste your money on a cheap thumb trigger, get a truball boss x or a stan sx2 or a truball absolute 360 or a scott exxus. Any of these are good and will serve you well and have awesome triggers, I personally would also suggest getting a three finger model.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm very eager to learn and I've been doing lots of research here and on YouTube, although I must say that most of what I've been reading here isn't about technique but more about which one is best. Most of the YouTube videos are reviews or basically ads for different companies. I saw that link you posted in another thread and I've been trying to go to it for a couple days now but the link is busted. Is it an instructional website, another link possibly?

Why do you suggest three over four finger?