a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hoyt long draw

Talking hoyt long draw

my draw length is 32" but I shoot at 31" just a little shorter so I might not hit my arm with a heavy coat on while hunting and most bows only go to 31". now I have a hoyt alpamax 35, at 31" and was thinking about getting a carbon spyder. is it more beneficial to get the long draw at 31.5" or 32' or get the regular version? I know that long draw is one inch longer in brace length on the long draw, but spec say it 10 fps faster. are they using a different fps scale like 31" draw instead of 30". or should I stay at 31" and be a little short on my draw and be safe and maybe not hitting my arm. this bow will be use for 3d and hunting just like the alphamax. time for a up grade. i need insight, thanks

the speed rating is at 32"
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 34 LD Camo 70lb/32" dl ON ORDER
    2012 Hoyt Vector 35 LD Camo 32" draw length 70lb 350gr CXL pro 342FPS! and 350 Maxima Hunting 416gr 317fps!
    2011 Hoyt CRX-35 LD Blue Fuzion
    ProLine Strings, B-Stinger, Sword sights, Limbdriver rest

How do you upgrade to something better than an Alphamax 35 for hunting ??

Buy another one. There have been several cam systems since the XTR's. Upgrade a AM 35 with RKT's.

I still hunt with my 09 Alphamax 35. I will for years to come.
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler
    Viper Sights, NAP Rests, Easton & Beman Shafts, Limbsavers, Tru-Ball.

post up pics
    I bet you dont need 32
    I was in your same boat
    now shot 29 7/8"
    I am 6'4"

shorter is better!
    Quietness kills the deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Team HOYT!!!!!!!!! ABB Strings send the Carbon Express arrows with Bohning Vanes to slay deer!
    Norris Merchandise Rocks all your needs!!!!!

Bearlee is on to something here. I'm 6'4" as well and shoot a 30" draw bow with a wrist strap release for hunting. 31.50" with a T-handle release for target. What I have found out the hard way, anytime you can have your bow arm bent at the elbow helps to hold on target easier. With your arm extended full it's complicated to get through a 5 arrow end shooting a 5 spot target. You get into your 6th or 7th end and you are struggling and your grouping goes down the drain.

Never did mention what type release you are using.

In the speed department, anytime you have a longer draw length your speed is going to be faster with the same arrow. The arrow stays on the string longer giving you your speed.
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler

Well some of us do have monkey arms 6'3" and shoot 31.5 or 32 draw length. Been shooting bow for 24 years now and use to shoot 30"" draw and my pin movement was bad moved to 31" draw got less movement and at 31.5" hardly and pin floating or movement. And now I don't bend my neck forward to the string.
    As for long draw hoyts as stated in 2nd post its rated at 32" draw IBO. I owned the 2012 matrix LD and great shooting bow and the best thing I liked about it was it went from 31"-32" draw unlike the 2014 spyder LD.
    I maybe looking to get a carbon spyder also I'd be going with the LD model. I like the longer ata and brace height but I don't like trying to sell a LD bow. As for if you should get the regular CSpyder, or LD you would need to shoot it at 31" and then make a choice cause im sure they won't have a LD to demo.
    2012 CPXL SH camo 52lbs 436 grain arrow 279fps.
    2013 Hoyt spyder LD
    2014 BT RPM 51.7lbs for wife 378 grain 271fps & 2012 Elite answer 52.5lbs wifes
    2015 bowtech Boss on order
    2015 Hoyt nitrum on order

[QUOTE=Bearlee;1068712678]post up pics
    I bet you dont need 32
    I was in your same boat
    now shot 29 7/8"
    I am 6'4"
    Really, I'm 6'6" and have 33" draw. And yep, I've posted pics on here.... And guess what?, it shut the doubters up. Not everyone has t-Rex arms..... Lol
    WILD REALITY TV

PSE Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hoythunter01 View Post
    How do you upgrade to something better than an Alphamax 35 for hunting ??

Buy another one. There have been several cam systems since the XTR's. Upgrade a AM 35 with RKT's.

I still hunt with my 09 Alphamax 35. I will for years to come.
    have dont rkt on a maxxis35 and was sweet over xtr. would easily go to 31.5" with #3 rkt cams too.
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1taxidermist View Post
    my draw length is 32" but I shoot at 31" just a little shorter so I might not hit my arm with a heavy coat on while hunting and most bows only go to 31". now I have a hoyt alpamax 35, at 31" and was thinking about getting a carbon spyder. is it more beneficial to get the long draw at 31.5" or 32' or get the regular version? I know that long draw is one inch longer in brace length on the long draw, but spec say it 10 fps faster. are they using a different fps scale like 31" draw instead of 30". or should I stay at 31" and be a little short on my draw and be safe and maybe not hitting my arm. this bow will be use for 3d and hunting just like the alphamax. time for a up grade. i need insight, thanks
    the long draw hoyts use the 3/4" longer xts1000 limbs over the 500series. (all length of limbs) are you thinking of buying a new bow just cause of your draw or are you not liking your AM35????
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's

I would shoot at 31 then try 31.5 or 32 and see what's comfortable and you shoot the best.. I am 6'5" and 31.5" draw, shot a 31" Matrix and could tell to much bend in my elbow and couldn't get the string to my nose.. Resale of a long draw bow is not great cause us long armed guys are kinda forgotten in marketing and designing bows... I have only hit my coat once and it was a big coat, but if I need to shoot now I have a compression cuff that takes care of that. Shoot what's comfy and the most accurate...

this is the first time replying with pics. this is the first time I seen myself at full draw with my bow. notice how long the d loop is, I try to make it short but it always turns out a little long. this bow is at 31". just wondering if I should go longer or stick with 31". would I benefit going to a longer draw. one post suggested a bent arm is better. please give advice about the pics, please reply thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just checking to see if anyone can suggest to me to go longer or leave my draw the same. just looking to buy a new bow to upgrade. if I new where to buy the cams and what size strings to get to do the rkt up grade I would, if cost effective or who could I send it to too be done at a decent price. any thing would happen to the bow as if the limbs would spilt would I have put back on the old cams to get if fixed under warranty at a dealer. thanks

hoyt long draw

WAY too much bend in the elbow!!!
    Go longer!!!
    You want the bow arm mostly straight! NOT locked or hyper extended, but not a bend like that either!

You will likely want to go shorter on the loop as well. The release elbow is a little low. Wait to see where it is with a straighter arm and longer DL first.

I am 6'2" , but have a 6'6" wingspan. I shoot 31.25-31.5" best.
    Better archery through science.
    Vectrix XL #60 31.5"
    Strother Moxie #50 31.5"
    www.carbofastdirect.com

agree think you need arm more straight. can you go 1/2" longer and retry???
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's

would the correct draw help with my accuracy? the reason I ask is that going with a long draw bow from hoyt, I will not be gaining anything is the speed dept, not that's what I am looking for, but longer draw should mean more speed. if I do go longer, say 32" now I have a longer brace length and a longer arrow, the new bow may even shoot slower than the one I have now. if it will help with the accuracy I am all for it, but not crazing about going slower. thinking about buying the new factor or c/spyder. not in no hurry, still hunting, do not what to change this late in the season. will it be worth it to go longer? thanks

That bow isn't going longer than 31" guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahly View Post
    WAY too much bend in the elbow!!!
    Go longer!!!
    You want the bow arm mostly straight! NOT locked or hyper extended, but not a bend like that either!

You will likely want to go shorter on the loop as well. The release elbow is a little low. Wait to see where it is with a straighter arm and longer DL first.

I am 6'2" , but have a 6'6" wingspan. I shoot 31.25-31.5" best.
    Your also shooting a T-Handle release. Huge difference in draw length over wrist strap. If the OP used a T-Handle, he'd need about a 34" draw length bow. Or one heck of a long D-Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by 1taxidermist View Post
    would the correct draw help with my accuracy? the reason I ask is that going with a long draw bow from hoyt, I will not be gaining anything is the speed dept, not that's what I am looking for, but longer draw should mean more speed. if I do go longer, say 32" now I have a longer brace length and a longer arrow, the new bow may even shoot slower than the one I have now. if it will help with the accuracy I am all for it, but not crazing about going slower. thinking about buying the new factor or c/spyder. not in no hurry, still hunting, do not what to change this late in the season. will it be worth it to go longer? thanks
    Yes, it will help in accuracy! Proper fit is proper fit. With your DL, speed isn't an issue, accuracy is what your after.
    Vectrix XL #60 31.5"
    Strother Moxie #50 31.5"
    www.carbofastdirect.com

hoyt long draw

Quote Originally Posted by Hoythunter01 View Post
    Your also shooting a T-Handle release. Huge difference in draw length over wrist strap. If the OP used a T-Handle, he'd need about a 34" draw length bow. Or one heck of a long D-Loop.
    The fit of the bow to the body will not change with releases. Adding 2" to a proper fitting bow just to use a wrist release is not the way to go! The string would then be nearly 2" past the tip of your nose or any other contact points you use.

If changing your release changes your elbow position, you need to adjust the release and/or loop.

I shoot the exact same DL with a T handle or my wrist release ( and I don't have to change the loop as I have my release pretty short)
    Vectrix XL #60 31.5"
    Strother Moxie #50 31.5"
    www.carbofastdirect.com

yeah anchor point will change but DL should stay same with either caliper or handle. ive used both and have to adjust anchor only, ive never changged the DL on bow.
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's

I'm 6'6" shooting 33 3/4" which is my correct draw length. Sadly bow shops would sell me what they had (usually 31-32" draw length bows). I wasted a lot of time shooting with arm bent and head cocked forward. Ugh!! Like wearing shoes a couple sizes too small--lots o pain!! Stand up straight at full draw and bring the bow to you--you don't conform to the bow. Your draw length in those pics is way short!! Find a knowledgable shooter to look at your fit before you buy. Get it right. Straighten out your left arm and stand up straight!

thanks, will try to find a bow shop in my area that has a ld hoyt to try or at least a bow that will go to 32".

I agree with vinson12. At 6'6"…...every shop around here tells me I'm a 31 maybe 31.5. I was even second guessing my form and all. i could never hold sight pin in a somewhat steady manner…it would move all over the place and the guys kept telling me I was too long. Come to find out….I was too short.

I watch a lot of bow junky vids and I pay particular attention to the long draw guys such as Tim Gillingham and Steve Anderson, even Levi is no shorty. They have bows that fit them. They pull back and slightly adjust their anchor and you don't see them laying their face way over to get to the string or bending their bow arm way out (which is what I would do).

Our options are limited in the bow market, The PSE freakmax looks interesting. Hoyt has a few options with the 3000 limbs. I currently have a 2006 Bowtech Constitution that was custom built with some Old Golry e cams and I have it pushing almost 34" after I removed the grip and shoot it bare handled for that little bit extra length.

you are definitely too short pics are worth 1000 words try 1" longer and post pics!
    Quietness kills the deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Team HOYT!!!!!!!!! ABB Strings send the Carbon Express arrows with Bohning Vanes to slay deer!
    Norris Merchandise Rocks all your needs!!!!!

by just looking at the pics, does one inch look like it will enough for me to get a good draw length. I do not want to be too long. I have always heard told, to short is way better than to long. I will be shorting up my d loop by at least by 1/4" or even 1/2", when I get my next bow. I have been to three hoyt shops, no long draw yet to draw back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast