a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Different types of releases. What's the difference?

Different types of releases. What's the difference?

I was wondering if someone could explain the different types of releases to me; not brand but hinge, Back pressure etc.? I currently use a wrist strap style release and always wonder when I read a thread what release is being discussed. I've heard terms like "hinge" "thumb" "back tension"

E35
    Qad HDX rest-Spot Hogg sight
    Stinger stabilizer-Scott release

an explanation of the differences and their uses, would take pages. the best thing you can do is go to a good archery shop and explain your needs and ask the shop to show you the different releases. it is truly an example of "a picture is worth a thousand words". seeing them, there in front of you, will show you the differences way better than any written explanation could ever attempt to.

Ok thanks
    E35

Ttt
    E35

To clear the air on the back tension portion of your question I'll start there. Back tension is a style of shooting any release. It is using the larger muscles in your back to hold the weight of the bow while at full draw and using them to fire a release by contracting them or holding pressure with them.

Thumb button releases are releases that you hold in your hand that use a thumb trigger instead of an index trigger. The benefits from a hand held release is generally better repeatability in your anchor and more control over the shot.

Hinge releases are another release you hold in your hand but they do not have a trigger on them. Instead there is a half moon shaped metal piece that a lever will hold/slide against. The lever is what will hook to your d-loop and butt up against the half moon. The turning of this release moves the lever along the half moon untill it reaches the edge of it and comes off. When the lever comes off the half moon it will turn out of the way of the d-loop and that is when the release happens. The half moon can be adjusted for more travel before this seperation occurs or less, and this will be a personal adjustment amount that is dependent on your shooting style and body make up/ how you hold the release and anchor.

There is also release called Tension releases. These are handheld releases as well. They are designed to fire with a certain amount of poundage being applied to them. A good example of this type of release is the Carter Evolution. There is a saftey that you depress as you draw the bow. When you reach full draw and anchor you take your thumb off the safety and as you increase tension in your back you increase the poundage amount of pull on the release until it releases at your desired weight. These aren't as popular as the Thumb button and Hinge type release because many people feel they aren't as consistent in the amount of weight they take to release.

There's a lot more that you can say about any of these releases and if you have any more questions about them, or places to start, pm me and I can give you as much knowledge as I have on them and help you get to some other people on here that have even more knowledge if need be. Hope this helps some.
    http://rcrchery.wordpress.com/
    A one stop area for common topics about form, shot execution, practice, bow set up, and much more.

In point form:

* back tension - technique of shooting. Applying tension in the back to cause the movement that will eventually trigger the release. Ideally you should shoot all releases like this (rather than for example using just your finger to trigger it, or rotate your wrist, or do something else)

* Hinge release (ex. Stan Blackjack) - type of release. The hook that attaches to the D-Loop is lose and can rotate freely. It stays closed unless the hook is at a certain angle with respect to the release handle. So you hook up, and start changing the angle of the release, and at some point it fires.

* Thumb release (ex. Stan SX2) - type of release. You attach it to the D-Loop and it locks up. You trigger it by pressing a thumb button.

* Resistance activated (ex. Stan Element) - type of release. It fires when certain "weight" is applied. Imagine a spring, once it compresses past a certain point, the release fires. You do this by pulling into the wall.
    My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my archery equipment for what I told her it costs.