Thread: Need christmas help, is the samick sage/journey right for us?

Need christmas help, is the samick sage/journey right for us?

I have two boys ages 21 and 17 who want a recurve bow for christmas. I have done a lot of research online and learned a great deal more than I knew three weeks ago, but I am still not confident enough to run out and make a purchase. I visited three archery shops as well and yet left without being certain that I was making a good purchase. My boys are age 21 5'11" and age 17 5'10". We came up with a 27.5 and 27 draw length. I was told that for their draw length they need a 66" to 68" bow length. We have been looking at the SAMICK JOURNEY price aside it seems to have great reviews as a beginner bow, but is only at a 64" length. These are meant to be a surprise for christmas and I want to make sure that I am not buying them a bow that is far to short. So to my questions 1 are these bows a good length for them. 2 are the olympic recurve bows supposed to be a longer length than the more traditional recurves? All of the information I get says they should have a 66 to 68 length but the Samick Sage and the Journey are not that long, which makes me assume that the traditional recurves don't have the same length requirements as the olympic. (They are not looking for olympic) or that the Samick Journey may simply be to short.
    PLEASE HELP ME CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE.

My 17 year old was talking about an olympic recurve today, which now leaves me even more confused, cartel phantom I believe. I could really use any advice on these two bows for the size of my boys and the fact that they are very interested in archery, but the only experience they have is that my older son took archery in high school with a long bow.
    Please help as I believe the people here are very informed compared to a lot of the information I have gotten from other places.
    Supposed to purchase tommorow and want to make the right choose so they will love the sport instead of buying the wrong thing and making it so difficult that they don't enjoy it. If there are any other opinions of bows that would be great for them instead of these that would be so helpful.
    thanks

Hello All

Tagged later comment.
    Knight Unk, Long live Mutants
    " Play " with archery.
    Don't let archery " Play " with you
    Think while practicing.
    Turn off thinker,while performing

I am 5'10", 27.5" DL with the recurve and the 62" Samick Sage is just fine. No finger pinch, no problems. Most recurve and longbows (trad bows) are rated at a 28" DL, so a DL of 27-27.5" shouldn't cause any issues on the 62" bows. If they want a longer/taller bow, go with the Journey, but it's really not needed. The Samick Sage has threaded inserts for sights, plungers, stabilizers, etc if that matters to them; I think the Journey riser has the inserts as well?

Where did you get the draw length advise?? It's rare to see a recurve bow at those lengths (unless olympic or ILF stuff), most recurves are between 58-62" long and under 28" DL, should have no problems.

I thank you so much for your help, I got the advice from Hi-Tech Archery in Ca. The advice I got from them was that the Journey would be a little better than the Sage but a longer bow 66" to 68" was better suited to my boys size and draw length they kept offering me a cartel fantom/phantom but my oldest son wants a more traditional wood bow, but he assured me that the "Journey would do" I don't want them to make do I want them to have a bow they love.(I think he would love this bow if it is the right size) How do I find this information out from a knowledgable source? I can pretty much only go by what I am told. The other place I went was in Costa Mesa, Ca. I asked them for any information they could give me he said "Ya gotta bring them in they can take a class and get the feel for the size they want." These are for christmas though and I figured if I spoke with knowledgable experienced people I would be able to figure it out but really I am just more confused than ever. IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LENGTH YOU USE IN A OLYMPIC RECURVE VS. A TRADITIONAL RECURVE?
    Again thank you for your reply

Olympic Archery generally uses longer bows and more gadgets to hang off of the bow (stabilizers, sights, plungers, etc). Traditional archery is more of a bare bow approach. Olympic archery from what I have seen seems to be more adjustable bows (ILF type stuff) where you can tune the tiller and weight, etc to really dial in the bow to the shooter. Mostly metal risers, not wood (although there are some wood risers out there for ILF) Trad archery is more simple and basic than that. If they want to do Olympic type stuff, you should probably get the Olympic bow that can be adjusted to them; you may need 1 bow for each so they can get it properly set up for each shooter. If they want to do more informal shoot in the backyard, hunting, etc with the bow, the Sage/Journey is fine for them and can be upgraded with different limbs, sights, plunger rests, stabilizers, etc. Can they still shoot and compete with a Sage/Journey? I don't see why not unless there are certain rules to what they want to do, classes to be in, etc.

If you look at 3 Rivers and LAS, most of the wood riser hunting style recurve bows are between 58" and 62" length. Most of the Oly type stuff is longer and metal riser usually. Longbows are usually a little longer than recurve bows. For your boys, the Sage or Journey is not a problem length wise. Or look for a 66" recurve with wood riser, LAS has some that I saw, no idea about how they are though. So yes, Oly bows are generally longer than trad recurve bows and are usually more adjustable/tuneable mechanically.

For your boys, there are no issues with a 62-64" trad recurve in terms of being too short, not drawing far enough, etc. It's when you get past 29" or longer and shorter bows that you may have finger pinch/stacking/overstressing the limbs issues, but that's more with 30+" of draw length.

Quote Originally Posted by Unk Bond View Post
    Hello All

Tagged later comment.

============================== =

Hello Again

I 'm 5' 10" shooting at this time a 65 inch made ILF bow . Reason I got this bow, the looks of the riser. Just couldn't take my eyes off the riser design.

Now since back in the late 60.in shooting competition I have shot longer bow lengths.
    Now days having a ILF riser, just opens up a new avenues of limb types and lengths one can use.
    .So at the present I'm very satisfied with my bows length, for indoors.
    I see no, reason the 66" or the 68" length, bow would be fine.

Thing that I would be more concern with at this time, for those two lads. Is the bow poundage And the brace height of the bow. I would go with a bow having a brace height with no less than 9 inches. And prefer a 9 1/2 + inch brace height.

Tell you lads not to choose a bow poundage, using there moncho ego. Poundage means a great deal to a young archer just starting out. In allowing him to attain a nice relaxed form. And build up his back strength. One can always buy or trade for a heaver set of limbs for a ILF bow.

Reason I say this. Oh yes they can yank the bow back right now with 40 or more pounds. But standing there aiming and shooting 60 arrows in a event. Fatigue will soon set in, and pleasure soon will vanish.

Thinking it over here I would go with the 68" length bow, with a 9 1/2" brace height at 30 pounds.

Later
    G D Bond [ Unk

Ps. If you can locate Viper 1 here at AT. He would be a great help to you and your son's. Surprised he has chimed in. 2nd thought. I will send him a link of this thread.
    Knight Unk, Long live Mutants
    " Play " with archery.
    Don't let archery " Play " with you
    Think while practicing.
    Turn off thinker,while performing

M722 -

Unk asked me to jump in.
    (Sorry, I don't usually look at all the forums.)

For Olympic style shooting shooting, using the FITA forum on AT would be your best option.

Here's a thread I started a while back, look at post #1 for "traditional" and post #17 for Olympic.
    Given your sons height, I would question their draw lengths - hard to say without seeing them, but DL MUST be determined with a draw check bow or similar.
    Charts, calculations, tape measures, are iffy at best.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1588147
    Only real amendment to that would be that the Sabastien Flute Forged Plus 25" riser has really surpassed the Hoyt Horizon on all fronts, while staying at the same price range.

Look that over, and feel free to PM me if you like.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

My advice, get a Samick Sage and don't look back. If they've never practiced archery before, start them at 30 lbs or 35 lbs. It may seem low, but you can't building good habits and form while struggling to hold at full draw. The Sage can easily be upgraded to higher poundage for about $75 for new limbs. It has all the attachment points for most olympic style accessories, or it can be left bare for traditional archery. It will let them get into the sport and see where their interests take them without breaking the bank in the process.

This advice comes from my own research. I just took up archery in the last month. I am 6'0 tall, have a 28.5" draw (approx.). I bought a Samick Sage with 30 lbs limbs and have been completely satisfied.

I want to thank everyone so much for the advice given, so much more help here than any archery store I have gone to. I bought both of my boys the Samick Journey 35#, feathered carbon arrows (6 each), leather tabs, leather arm guard and a large hurricane target bag, I believe I still need a bow stringer and quiver, are there any of these two things that anyone recommends? I just wanted to say thanks to all of you again. When my boys have any questions regarding anything about archery I am sending them here!
    Last edited by M722; December 8th, 2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Forgot draw weight