a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo Review!

2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo Review!

I thought that I would post my thoughts and findings on the new 2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo. I ordered the bow on November 6th. I ordered a right hand, black out, #3 cam set at 28", and 55-65 lbs limbs. I was told that it would be the first of the year before I saw my bow. I actually received the bow on December 4th! A full month early! I obviously couldn't have been happier with the shipping time from Hoyt.

Finish- As I said, I ordered the bow in blackout. The finish is good, but I did find a small bubble and a couple of other small imperfections. Overall though, the bow looks really sharp. I'll apologize in advance for this terrible pic, as I didn't take the time to setup a good background.

image.jpg

Specs- The bow is a 55-65 lbs model and it came from the factory at 68.4 lbs. The holding weight is 16.9 lbs, which puts it right at 75% letoff. The draw length measured 1/4" long coming in at 28-1/4" and the brace height measured 5-7/8". This bow measures 33-1/16" axle to axle. The only tuning that has been done to the bow, other than paper tuning, is synching the cams. I left it at the factory settings for this review.

Feel- This area is very subjective, as feel can vary greatly between different people. I'll tell you what I think, but you'll need to check it out for yourself. The bow is pretty well balanced, but not perfect. It is just a little top heavy, and wants to tip slightly forward. Not bad, but enough for me to notice as I like a well balanced bow. The bow has the factory wood grip which looks really nice, and doesn't feel bad, but I prefer side plates. I have side plates on my other Hoyts, and this one will get a set as well. The draw cycle on this bow is very nice. I love the RKT cams of the last couple of years, but the Z5 has a better draw cycle than the RKT. After shooting this bow for a little while, I got out my Spyder Turbo, and it feels like it has a hump in it. This Z5 cam is very nice in that department. On the shot the bow is very quiet and vibration free. Just a very pleasant bow to shoot.

Tuning/Speed- I haven't done anything to this bow except paper tune and synch the cams. I wanted to do this review as the bow came in from Hoyt. I used my Easton Bow Force Mapper to check draw weight, holding weight, and to plot the DFC. I used the Easton Chrony for all speeds and used an F1 chrony on one arrow weight just to show the difference in speed between the two chrony's. I shot 3 different arrow weights 3 times each to get an average, and used On Target 2 for the IBO calculator. If you've read my posts/threads before, I'm not a big fan of IBO calculators, but everyone likes to see figured speeds, and rightfully so.

Again, specs are 28-1/4" DL, and 68.4 lbs with 16 grains on the string and the following arrow weights:

image.jpg

Arrow 1- 352 grains
    305.9= 305.8 Avg
    IBO= 335

Arrow 2- 386 grains
    293.4= 293.2 avg.
    IBO= 333

Arrow 3- 454 grains
    272.0= 272.2
    IBO= 329

image.jpg

These speeds seemed way slow so I shot the light weight arrow through my F1 Shooting Chrony and got an average speed of 313 fps. With this chrono it puts the IBO at around 343. For apples to apples though, I shot my Matrix and Spyder Turbo through the Easton Chrono and got an IBO of 332 with the Matrix, and an IBO of 344 on the Spyder Turbo.

What are my thoughts? I'm going to see what a normal size string and cable set will do for it. I know some others have tried it on some of the other bows and said that it doesn't gain much, but I like to try things for myself. A normal set of strings should have a finished diameter of .100"- .106" roughly, and the stock strings on this bow mic'd .115". Also, I have done no tuning except synching the cams, and that Spyder I listed above is set at 28" with a #2 cam maxed out, and this Faktor is set at 28" with the #3 cam on its shortest setting. From my experience the #2 cams at the longest setting usually put out a little better speeds than the #3 at the shortest setting.

Paper Tuning- I tuned this bow with a Carbon Express Mach 5 350 with a 75 grain tip because it put the spine just right according to OT2, and it put the weight down for my light arrow chrono speeds. I set center shot at 13/16" and nock point 1/8" high. I had to add 1.5 twists to the left yoke and take 1.5 twists out of the right yoke, and move nock point to dead level to get bullet holes. Awesome. Very minor yoke tuning, and nock level was all that I had to do to get bullet holes at every distance from 6-21 feet.

Overall I am really liking this bow, the only downfall is the speeds that I am currently getting. When I get time, I'm going to do some more tuning, install a set of custom strings, and see what I can do with this bow speed wise. Other than the speed though, I couldn't be happier with this bow.

Here is a pic of the DFC on the new Z5 cam.

image.jpg

Very nice write up.

This years Hoyt's will make spec but not blow them away like last year.

The valley is more generous, taking away some speed.

You can see by the draw force map that this Z5 came is a smooth shooter.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    '15 LH Hoyt Pro Edge Elite-65lb- Max 1
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-70lb- Realtree Xtra
    '13 LH Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL-60lb- Orange with black hardware

Great review!!!! He's one of the best tuners on here!
    Mathews blackmax 2, elite judge,spot Hogg and Axcel sights ,limbdriver rests,octane stabilizers,gold tip arrows with blazers ,German kinetics and dead ringer trauma broadheads

Its slow for a bow with a brace height measured 5-7/8

Tagged for later. Thanks, I've been waiting for such a review
    Eric Frein is a gutless coward

The #2 cam in the 28" draw would have picked up 6 - 8 fps.
    Bowfreaks Archery, LLC 417-466-4797 find me on facebook
    Authorized Hoyt, Mathews, Mission, Obsession, PSE, Strother, Fuse, Muddy, Black Gold, Easton, Beman, GoldTip, Carbon Express, Scott, TruBall, Tru-Fire, Ripcord, Trophy Taker, Covert, Bowfinger, Tight Spot,and Tree Limb dealer.
    Advanced Bowstrings Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bowfreak View Post
    He's right...
    '13 HOYT Pro Comp Elite (Spiral-X) 60# & 29½", 330 grains @ 290 FPS
    '14 HOYT Faktor 34 (Z5) 60# & 29½", 330 grains @ 302 FPS
    '13 HOYT Carbon Matrix G3 (Z5 conversion) 64# & 30", 330 grains @ 320 FPS
    '09 HOYT Katera XL (Z3) 64# & 30", 374 grains @ 295 FPS
    SPOT HOGG, B-STINGER, GOLD TIP, TROPHY TAKER, SLICK-TRICK, HOT SHOT, TIGHT-SPOT

Someone should pay you to do a review of every bow on the market. Well done and I love the results. Bow sure does hold its speed well with a heavy arrow and less than IBO draw.
    Team 34 - The Penetrators
    Bear Motive 6 29"/70#

Quote Originally Posted by whack n' stack View Post
    Very nice write up.

This years Hoyt's will make spec but not blow them away like last year.

The valley is more generous, taking away some speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by drehunter View Post
    Great review!!!! He's one of the best tuners on here!
    Thanks guys. Don't sell yourself short drehunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Doofy_13 View Post
    Someone should pay you to do a review of every bow on the market. Well done and I love the results. Bow sure does hold its speed well with a heavy arrow and less than IBO draw.
    I like the way you think!! Thanks!

Home from work and really enjoyed your review, very well done. I've been longing to shoot this and the F34 since they were announced.
    Eric Frein is a gutless coward

awsome review... ordered my FT last week cant wait to shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowfreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbentley392t View Post
    He's right...

I mentioned that fact in the review. It has been my experience that the smaller cam is a little faster as well.

Great review! Likely one of the best I've read here lately....

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away.

Great write-up J! You will wring some more out of her, I am confident. Get one of those Carbon Spyder 30 or 34's in, do a review and sell it to old bud on the cheap!!!

How would you describe the deadness of the bow on the shot (light arrow), as compared to the Obsession bows (which are dead as the come IMO)?

Quote Originally Posted by LetThemGrow View Post
    Great review! Likely one of the best I've read here lately....
    Thanks! Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Great review J. Hope you can get more out of it with custom set of threads.
    Stormy Hardwoods Green PSE Source. Hoyt Carbon Element G3. Scott Releases. Easton Da Torch Arrows QAD Rests Axcel Sights Ulmer Edge Steel Broadheads ARCHERY DOES NOT REQUIRE TRIGGER GUARDS!!

Very nice review! Interested in seeing how much more can be squeezed out of the #3 cam. I have a Faktor 34 on order in 29.5" draw. I was able to shoot the Faktor turbo at my local dealer. Thought the Z5 cam was very smooth, with more valley than my RKT.

What speed do you think a 28.5 dl and 65# will get at ibo?
    4 Time IBO World Champion almost 5!
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder turbo 28.5" 60#
    Black eagle Challengers
    Stan Just X release
    Shrewd stabilizers and scope

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Burnt View Post
    Great write-up J! You will wring some more out of her, I am confident. Get one of those Carbon Spyder 30 or 34's in, do a review and sell it to old bud on the cheap!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd350 View Post
    Great review J. Hope you can get more out of it with custom set of threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse76 View Post
    Very nice review! Interested in seeing how much more can be squeezed out of the #3 cam. I have a Faktor 34 on order in 29.5" draw. I was able to shoot the Faktor turbo at my local dealer. Thought the Z5 cam was very smooth, with more valley than my RKT.
    Thanks guys. I'll see about posting an update when I put the new threads on.

Quote Originally Posted by stoz View Post
    What speed do you think a 28.5 dl and 65# will get at ibo?
    Based on the bow that I have, if you were dead legal with just a loop and peep on the string I'd say around 315 fps.

Ok thanks.
    4 Time IBO World Champion almost 5!
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder turbo 28.5" 60#
    Black eagle Challengers
    Stan Just X release
    Shrewd stabilizers and scope

Nice job. Just the info everyone wants.
    " shoot the heaviest bow that you can comfortly " Fred Bear

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast