Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: Baiting in PA in 2014-2015

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by palmatedbuck04 View Post
    I hope they never legalize baiting in PA
    Haha I agree with you! I'd rather have legalized Sunday hunting, then baiting anyday.



  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sussex, NJ
    Posts
    7,241
    Quote Originally Posted by 12-Ringer View Post
    Yep, that was their rationale and that is why it was limited to the suburban and urban zones....trying to draw deer out of backyards and into the small municipal parks, conservancies, public land where bowhunting is permitted

    Joe
    Ended up doing just the opposite in NJ. Nobody wants to carry a 50# bag into the woods. Much easier to dump it in their backyards.
    The only reason to legalize it is to get rid of more deer. Hardly any deer sign on public land here, but peoples yards are covered in deer droppings. I hope PA doesn't fall to the special interests of businesses that see them as pests. It will ruin hunting for those that don't want to bait, or can't afford to buy corn every year, just like it has here.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 12-Ringer View Post
    Yep, that was their rationale and that is why it was limited to the suburban and urban zones....trying to draw deer out of backyards and into the small municipal parks, conservancies, public land where bowhunting is permitted

    Joe
    That's just stupid. If anything just the opposite will happen. I live in 5-C in the special regs area. I hope they never legalize baiting here.
    When the man at the door said "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery!

  4. #29
    The way that the bait flys off the shelves at wal-mart during archery season I thought it has been legal for years

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy H View Post
    That's just stupid. If anything just the opposite will happen. I live in 5-C in the special regs area. I hope they never legalize baiting here.
    I never said it was smart, it is the PAGC (lol)....

    95% of my PA hunting is done in 5C, I am not calling anyone out or indicating I am a better hunter than anyone else, but there are more deer in 5C than folks want to believe and on land that is accessible to any licensed hunter. Much of the open available land is PACKED with hunters, but with careful planning you can get it and get it done....

    When baiting was allowed I was able to take my son (6 years old at that time) and have deer in range EVERY SINGLE SIT, but I never harvested one....the opportunity to present a young person with the opportunity to observe deer behavior at that close range is invaluable. Just because the allowed baiting didn't mean everyone out there laid the smack down on the herd over as pile of corn or apples. The bigger issue here is and always will be educating our ranks....it amazes me the number of folks that I meet every fall who cannot judge a deer's age (if it doesn't have spots it's good) and have little or no understanding of vey simple management strategies.

    We have to encourage our fellow hunters to look in the mirror as opposed to writing Harrisburg or *****ing on online forums, it is the quickest way to turn things around.

    Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Hills of Picksburgh
    Posts
    2,642
    Man I hope that it does not happen. Now a limited draw baited bear tag...well that's a different story!

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by 12-Ringer View Post
    I never said it was smart, it is the PAGC (lol)....

    95% of my PA hunting is done in 5C, I am not calling anyone out or indicating I am a better hunter than anyone else, but there are more deer in 5C than folks want to believe and on land that is accessible to any licensed hunter. Much of the open available land is PACKED with hunters, but with careful planning you can get it and get it done....

    When baiting was allowed I was able to take my son (6 years old at that time) and have deer in range EVERY SINGLE SIT, but I never harvested one....the opportunity to present a young person with the opportunity to observe deer behavior at that close range is invaluable. Just because the allowed baiting didn't mean everyone out there laid the smack down on the herd over as pile of corn or apples. The bigger issue here is and always will be educating our ranks....it amazes me the number of folks that I meet every fall who cannot judge a deer's age (if it doesn't have spots it's good) and have little or no undersdtanding of vey simple management strategies.

    We have to encourage our fellow hunters to look in the mirror as opposed to writing Harrisburg or *****ing on online forums, it is the quickest way to turn things around.

    Joe
    If I recall correctly the deer baiting was only allowed on Private land so I'll assume your baiting was done on non public land.. The last couple years I have decided to be part of the solution and not part of the problem on my land and the land around me that I hunt, all private. Numbers are down compared to what we normally see. I had ample opportunity to fill that doe tag this year but passed, also passed on a couple small buck. Still holding out hope to get on a decent buck late archery.
    When the man at the door said "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy H View Post
    If I recall correctly the deer baiting was only allowed on Private land so I'll assume your baiting was done on non public land.. The last couple years I have decided to be part of the solution and not part of the problem on my land and the land around me that I hunt, all private. Numbers are down compared to what we normally see. I had ample opportunity to fill that doe tag this year but passed, also passed on a couple small buck. Still holding out hope to get on a decent buck late archery.

    Glad to hear and I wish you well own the late season, I am hopeful to be able to make it out by then as I have been out of commission since my fall on 10/21.....and yes I am very fortunate to manage some prime acreage in 5C, last year I passed on 5 different deer that would score between 125-135 hoping to meet up with one of either two true bruisers on the property. I was fortunate enough to have two close encounters during the season, one getting ruined by a trespasser, the other I just couldn't get a clear shot. Unfortunately one of two was harvested roughly two miles away; definitely same deer, he scored 172". If we want deer like this in PA, folks have to be willing to let 130's go and I don't know too many who do that and that is what we need to help folks understand.

    As for the baiting, I am virtually certain it was legal on all property in the management units, but I will try to confirm. I only say this as I can recall several occasions in a Tyler Arboretum, Ridley Creek, Linvilla Orchards, and both Marsh and French Creeks where we came upon corn piles within 30 yards of stands. I don't think all those folks were breaking the law, but anything is possible.

    Good luck in the late season, I hope you connect with a big one.

    Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    sw Pa.
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyt170 View Post
    Did anybody here if Pa is bringing baiting back next year?
    NO way! with the new case of CWD found in adams county and spreading. I did hear of talk of banning the sale of deer urine which also helps the spread cwd.
    What do real archers say to compound archers?
    "I see your still shooting with your training wheels.

    "Mir Boziji, Hristos se rodi!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania (Spring City)
    Posts
    10,164
    Any state serious about preventing the spread of CWD should not allow baiting.
    AT People who owe me money - Cody Blackford from Macon Missouri - aka j4deer and easton11 - $50.00 - payup you toad!!!

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    9,529
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyt170 View Post
    The only thing I know Pa is not in a good spot, this year was one of my worst in 40 years. IMO IN 5C UNLIMITED DOE TAGS IS REALY HURTING THE DEER HERD
    I hunt deep in the heart of 5C. We saw dribs and drabs of deer all year. I managed to tag a doe & a buck. But no great numbers. Meanwhile, within a 1/2 mile there was a horse farm with a) no hunting b) feed troughs for horses & deer. 2 days ago I counted 77 deer in one pasture. 2 of them were bucks. They've been there all year with a ready food source. Lots of deer in at least the suburban parts of 5C . . just too many places for them to go where you can't hunt.
    Pete

    " They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." -- The last words of Union Army General John Sedgewick before being killed by a Confederate sharp-shooter in the opening battles of Spotsylvania.

  12. #37
    It will be legal in special reg areas next season
    Mathews Creed XS 70/30 2014 Desert Tactical
    Mathews Creed 70/30 2013 Black Riser/Camo Limbs
    Black Gold/Truball/Gold Tip 7595
    Rage Chisel Tip

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    I hunt deep in the heart of 5C. We saw dribs and drabs of deer all year. I managed to tag a doe & a buck. But no great numbers. Meanwhile, within a 1/2 mile there was a horse farm with a) no hunting b) feed troughs for horses & deer. 2 days ago I counted 77 deer in one pasture. 2 of them were bucks. They've been there all year with a ready food source. Lots of deer in at least the suburban parts of 5C . . just too many places for them to go where you can't hunt.
    AMEN....that is the real problem.....ACCESS......I can drive anyone that wants to go for a ride to parking lot in 5C where at any given day during the archery season there will be 1/2 dozen trucks parked, we can chat with everyone on the way out and the reports would en dismal. I can then drive you 2.25 miles and show you a field that will likley have 20-50 deer in it...no access for the masses, only the fortunate and their guests.....more than anything, including Sunday hunting which is likely the one hope I hold most dear, is that the PAGC would start a program that incents folks from allow bowhunting on their properties. It would help a little....

    Billy H, I did dig out a 09-10 digest and it appears a baiting was permitted on any lands as long as they were not a State owned. So municipalities that open their parks, community easements (like many in West Chester, Downignton, Balacynwd, etc....as well as all private landowners could allow baiting. Not sure what we ran across in Ridley, Marsh or French Creek State Parks, I guess lawbreakers??? Which is always the biggest problem, the bad apples that spoil the bunch.

    Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by GameEarGabe View Post
    It will be legal in special reg areas next season
    How do you know this? Just curious, the meeting didn't take place yet.

    Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    johnsonburg pa
    Posts
    1,633
    i sure hope it don't get passed we got enough lazy hunters in pa.
    your bow is just a Guide you are the leader of the arrow.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    southwest,PA
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by John_pro View Post
    Haha I agree with you! I'd rather have legalized Sunday hunting, then baiting anyday.
    true

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PA/ OH / NY
    Posts
    963
    Stores around here sure sell alot of "non bait" type corn and $20 per pound attractant. Just glad noone puts it near their stands that would be illegal.
    2013-2014 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #7 Magnificent Seven......It's Official!!
    2011-2012 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #29 Booners and Backstraps

    Team HOYT

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PA/ OH / NY
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by palmatedbuck04 View Post
    I hope they never legalize baiting in PA
    I can just picture wally world the night before gun season if this goes through. It will be like black friday on acorn rage!
    2013-2014 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #7 Magnificent Seven......It's Official!!
    2011-2012 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #29 Booners and Backstraps

    Team HOYT

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    southwest,PA
    Posts
    1,102
    its like that for archery season now with all the crossbow hunters. grapping all the doe n heat and rattlin up a storm on the first day.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by jhauser View Post
    its like that for archery season now with all the crossbow hunters. grapping all the doe n heat and rattlin up a storm on the first day.
    haha I always hear how since xbow legalization there has been a plethora of unethical/ lazy hunters in the woods..... I can't imagine the responses if baiting is legalized. I am most certaintly not for it, but life goes on if it's allowed

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PA/ OH / NY
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by jhauser View Post
    its like that for archery season now with all the crossbow hunters. grapping all the doe n heat and rattlin up a storm on the first day.
    hahaha nothing like a little early season estrous to get the big boys fired up!!
    2013-2014 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #7 Magnificent Seven......It's Official!!
    2011-2012 AT Deer Contest Champs Team #29 Booners and Backstraps

    Team HOYT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •