a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Arrows for Samick Sage

Arrows for Samick Sage

I have ordered a Samick Sage recurve at 40lb as I haven't played with a recurve for quite a few years. 27" draw.

Thinking about arrows - maybe Gold Tip Expedition Hunter (black shafts) cut to 29 inch with 125 gn points in size 3555??

Or in aluminium 2013 either XX75 or Gamegetter

Thought I would fletch these with AAE Elite Plasti-Fletch 4” vanes (which I have). Would feathers be better?

Open to advice.....

thanks

If you are shooting off of a shelf, feathers are needed. From an elevated rest, dunno, never tried it. I had a 28# OMP (rebranded Sage Polaris) and used Easton 1916 Lites and 125gr tips. 50# sage used 2018 Easton's with 100-125gr tips, they were around 28" or so.

I am shooting Easton Game Getter 400 from my Samick SHT 50#. Boy these arrows can withstand beating in a large quantity.Always go with natural feathers for your recurve no mater is it of shelf or from rest shooting.
    I shoot GT Exp hunter 340 from my 70# compound with Blazer vanes. Excellent arrows if you ask me...
    Enlight me!

Blah blah blah this and that, here and there...
    Horton Hunter Express SL 165,Horton Legend HD 175,Bowtech StrikeZone 350, Mission Craze 70#,PSE Rally 60#, Samick SHT 50#,Win&Win ExPrime 40#+SF Forged+....Speed,KE...pffff...

I just got the same bow. I ordered "Shiny Black® TigerStreak 30" Premium Fiberglass Hunting Arrows with Replaceable Screw-In Stainless Steel Broadhead, 3-Pack" from Amazon. Going to be changing to real feathers for hog hunting. I'll let you know how they shoot. (Going to start making my own wood shaft arrows once I get use to the bow)

5. I use the Gold Tip Expedition Hunters 3555/500 shafts with 105gr field tips and 5" feathers in a helical config. Very accurate and the local shop/range has sold many set ups like this for the sage.

I have a Samick Sage recurve RH. 45# 27" DL. I shoot a goldtip 1535 and victory 600 25-45# cut @ 28". I shoot off the shelf with a Bear rest and 5" feathers fletched with a blitzenburg RW. I put the GWS 4 pin sight I got from Vision Outfitters with the bow and served in a peep in the string cause I got tired of losing arrows. Iv'e taken quite a few hogs here in Hawaii with G5 3 blade broadheads love this bow, It has helped me strengthen my upper half for my Bear Compound. This is my second Samick Sage bow. My first one after a year and a half of every day shooting ended up splitting my riser right on the bottom where the limb bolts up to the riser. It's wear the riser was laminated together. I called Vision Outfitter's about this problem and within 4 day's they sent me a new bow and 45# limbs. GREAT SUPPORT Vision Outfitter's. They sent the bow with a smart tag so I could ship my broken bow back to them with.

Last edited by kilakilaboy; July 4th, 2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Giving credit to Vision Outfitters' for there great support

@kilakilaboy, I've a couple of noob questions for you.

What's the fletching configuration of your arrows for shooting off-the-shelf? Is the cock vane up?

What's the distance you shoot at?

Where on the face do you anchor?

Interested in answered to this last ? ^^

So is it terrible to not shoot feathers off the shelf just bought the sage myself, switched from compound .. curious as in what the main reason for feather use would be

Quote Originally Posted by drew.ellrich View Post
    So is it terrible to not shoot feathers off the shelf just bought the sage myself, switched from compound .. curious as in what the main reason for feather use would be
    Vanes do not compress like feathers as they come across the shelf...they sort of "fold over" and it disrupts the arrow flight.
    Measure twice, cut once

Quote Originally Posted by Captainkirk View Post
    Vanes do not compress like feathers as they come across the shelf...they sort of "fold over" and it disrupts the arrow flight.
    Does this argument apply to shooting off the rest as well, or only to shooting off the shelf?

Only off the shelf. Shooting off a rest is the same as for any other bow; if you orient the vanes so they pass through the rest, you're good to go. Remember; shooting fingers causes the arrow to oscillate side-to-side as it leaves the bow, shooting release causes it to oscillate up and down. This generally determines what type of rest to use and feather/vane configuration.
    I shoot off the shelf, cock feather at 9 o'clock.
    Measure twice, cut once

Thanks!