Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homeowners Association Preventing Archery in your backyard?

Here's a funny HOA story for ya. Or at least I thought so. A friend of mine at work moved into a subdivision and everything was going good until we hit a long stretch of over time at work. We were doing 7 days a week and 10-12 hour days for several months. He was on 2nd shift and was having to work from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. quite a bit. Even if you are young, that kind of work will wear you out after a while. On top of that, he was also going through a divorce. So needless to say...doing yard work became less of a priority to him than sleeping, working, etc. The HOA started leaving notices about his yard getting a bit out of the ordinance and threatening him. After a while of this...he gets tired of it. He told them that he has been working 12 hr days for the past several months, been having family problems, and to go honk Bobo. They didn't like that and got on him harder. So what's he do? Got off work one night at 3 in the morning and fires his lawnmower up when he got home. I never did get to hear what happened after that, but I imagine it probably got good.

As for me...I'll take my country living. I have an easy solution to the fear of neighbors moving in junk beside me and all that...it's simple: buy all the land that joins me lol I don't want all the land. Just every thing that joins me.

HOA is major pain in the butt. I'm stuck here in hell. I have no where to shoot so I have to do all my shooting at the local shop.
    I shoot target archery for me.

I would try to stay away from HOA just like unions. They may look ok from the outside, but once your in, you realize the only interest they have is their own and that is never good for you.

Anyone know much about these laws? Does a HOA actually have any legal right to tell you to do anything at all? Or is it just the nagging and pretense of right that gets people to conform?

HOA's can fine you and if you do not pay it they can put a lien on your house. Which means you can not sell the house without satisfying the lien and it screws up your credit score. They can have some good points, but can also be over the top and a pain in the rear.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute, 28", 65 lb, IQ Sight, Whisker Biscuit
    2007 Bowtech Allegiance, 28", 60 lb, Toxonics K953 .019, Whisker Biscuit
    28" GoldTip XT's 5575, 85 gr. Slick Tricks, Proline Strings
    1986 Bear Super Kodiak Recurve, 55# @ 28"
    TreeWalker ProMag XLT Treestand

I dated this gal that owns the largest land development company on Maui and she lived in a subdivision that her company built.

I will never forget the stories that she would tell about the HOA. She was on the board and had to hear it all.

People walking around with rulers every night literally measuring grass and leaving issuing warnings.

They put a lien on a guys house because he refused to pay the fines levied when he painted it a shade or two lighter than the approved colors. To this day I could never tell the difference between the two colors. Think you can only see the difference through queen ***** eyes.

We would sit outside in the evenings in her Cul De Sac and she would say, "Hear they come". And she would have to be nice to them.

Well one of the reasons I never married this gal is I knew I could never tolerate that kind of bs. I figure you might have the right to tell me my grass is too long but I might have the right to tell you to go to hell too.
    Do or Do Not, There is No Try... -Master Yoda-

Quote Originally Posted by NCBuckNBass View Post
    In NC only the state legislature can pass a law pertaining to hunting. Cities and HOA can't. A city might have a law against discharging a firearm, but they can't legally make you not shoot a bow. College campus in Charlotte I bet you has archery for a gym class at UNC-Charlotte . Tell them to pound sand. Just another reason to not live out in the county the way I see it. There are some huge bucks running around in Charlotte deep in the city limits I know for a fact. I've killed a ton of deer in NC in several cities even ones that think they can ban hunting,,,,,,,,,,,cause I checked with the state and found out they are bluffing. I once got spread on the back of a cop car to be frisked 25 years ago and asked the cop what he thought I did. You should have seen the look on his face when I quoted the law to him. Next thing you know he was telling me every spot in town he had seen a big hoss crossing late at night...LOL
    What 'law' are you speaking about? They most certainly can make using a bow illegal. Some townships pass an ordinance prohibiting using any type of device delivering a projectile, this effectively prohibits using guns, bows, crossbows, slingshots etc. This is what makes hunting illegal, not the act of hunting, but you can not legally use anything that qualifies as a legal hunting device. This is also what can make shooting your bow illegal in your back yard.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute, 28", 65 lb, IQ Sight, Whisker Biscuit
    2007 Bowtech Allegiance, 28", 60 lb, Toxonics K953 .019, Whisker Biscuit
    28" GoldTip XT's 5575, 85 gr. Slick Tricks, Proline Strings
    1986 Bear Super Kodiak Recurve, 55# @ 28"
    TreeWalker ProMag XLT Treestand

They're great for yuppies that like to keep up with the Jones'. Don't really fit into bow hunting or target practice. Choose one or the other.
    2005 Bowtech Allegiance 28 DL 63#

My little brother lives in NC there HOA is looking to stop hunting in there area but they have people poaching all the time walking in his yard and to boot he had a bullet come through his sons wall can you blame them. I hate when people post there land but bad hunters ruin it for us.

I would live in a tent in the swamp before living in another in another place with a HOA .Don't do it find a place with out a HOA if you can .
    Wild Turkey Ridge & Twin Oaks ( Both gone but not forgotten )
    TRU Ball Staff
    All black Chill X : )
    All black Chill X

I lived in a POA,(Property Owners Association), community in Cottonwood Calif. Lake Calif. northern part of the state..Never live in these Commie Places again...Their a Nightmare at best...
    2005 C.P ONEIDA BLACK EAGLE-TRU GLO 6 PIN SIGHT-LIMB SAVER STAB.-3-D ROVER TM.HUNTER REST-60 LBS.-31 IN. DL.-301/2 IN. 2413.XX78 ARROW..MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.WISHED I HAD SOME.

I can concur and have done it both ways. I prefer to own raw land out side the ring and have a short drive for milk and bread where I live 99 percent of the time. Owning land in the boonies beats living in the boonies most of the time...............kids need stuff and when you get old you need stuff but when you're young and dumb living in the Big Woods in fine and nice....twice.
    You're doing what my plan is: Residence in the city, undeveloped land in rural parts of the state so I can hunt, camp, etc when I want to get away from it all. Currently I'm renting due to unfortunate circumstances. But, even renting has it's positives.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherXXX300 View Post
    HOA is major pain in the butt. I'm stuck here in hell. I have no where to shoot so I have to do all my shooting at the local shop.
    Nothng wrong with shooting at your local shop, or outdoor ranges. Sure, it's not the same as walking outside and shooting. But, it has it's benefits as well if you want to shoot leagues, etc. Also, if you really want to shoot, you can set something up in your garage. Just be sure if you miss, it doesn't go into your neighbors area. Living in an apartment, I wouldn't know anything about this kind of setup...

I am not legally able to shoot anywhere in Miami. However, that's never stopped me from doing so.

My HOA has bylaws and in them it states that rifles, shotguns and pistols cannot be fired in te development, but BB guns are allowed. No mention of archery, so I shoot. Most of my shooting is in the basement right now due to not having a fence yet. I shoot a little outside, but not much. I have a nice 15 yard range in the basement that helps with form. If I need to shoot further, that's when I take the target outside.
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
    I am not legally able to shoot anywhere in Miami. However, that's never stopped me from doing so.
    Boy could this thread come back and haunt you if thing ever went more Southern on Ya.

A & E ran a re-run of Chase at the HOA meeting about his chickens, he folded like a bad hand in Vegas. Course he knew he signed the paper so a man's word is his bond so it goes. Read the paper before you sign!
    I seen that.

He made a statement something like "I have people telling me what I can and can't do with my property, and I pay them for it?"

I can't stand HOA's. I don't have personal experience, just what family members had to deal with.

I'd rather deal with a dick next door. Still can get a dick in a HOA not to mention, dick's on the board of the HOA.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by -bowfreak- View Post
    This is I live in the county.
    My rule of thumb is if I can't pee in my back yard in broad daylight I am not living there.
    Yes
    2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo 50#, QAD,
    2010 Hoyt Alpha Max 50#,tt blade, 3D Hinge
    all Nuge strings
    Bear Take-down 55# -- Martin X200 @45#-- Martin Savannah @35#

If I ever move, the first requirement I'll tell the realtor is no HOA and preferrably no subdivision either
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know someone who is the president of a HOA. And she got stuff for her unit that later was banned. Because it was put up before the ban they couldnt do anything. So if you but where it's ok and have it in writing then they change it I think you will be ok.
    13 Bowtech Insanity 28" 70# HHA DS-XL5519, QAD Custom, Apex Game Changer, Balance X, CE Blue Streak Select 368g=310fps
    14 Scorpyd Velocity 165 Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP, 22" BEE's w/NAP's Quick Spins & Spitfire's 440g=???fps

Ive lived in a hoa since 1997, I shoot in my side yard. I live on a corner lot, and the street deadends to the west of me. Behind the house is nothing but dense woods, which is where the street ends. I just put up a bag target or a 3d animal along the fence line and fling away.
    I can shoot out to 30 yards max. Now I have had sheriffs called on me 3 different times and they end up telling me other people need to mind their own buisness as they walk away. Never had a problem with the hoa as far as I know.
    PSE Axe 6, T.T. rest,Sure loc sights,Doinker stab.,CXL 250s ,X-2 vanes,First String,Truball H.T-2 release.
    Katera XL,T.T. rest,Spot Hog sight,First String,Beman shafts,Thunderheads,Max Pro
    -----------------------------------------
    'Out past the cornfield where the woods got heavy;'Bob Seger

my neighbor told me there are places to go shoot your bow. I replied where I live my range is in my yard. this lady has called the law on every neighbor around for something or other, mostly shooting guns. the funny thing is I opened a gun auction house about a year ago and one of my best customers is her husband and now he shoot regularly over the hill from my house. talk about two faced people, ok for them but not you.

Quote Originally Posted by -bowfreak- View Post
    Should have said this is why I live in the county and not in the city.
    Yep I rather live in Russia , you can paint your house with out town meeting!! Hoa suck. If you want to spend all that cheddar & be able to piss on you neighbors house from your back porch have at it !!

My HOA reads " No discharging of firearms, to include Rifles, shotguns, pistols and any type of Bow and arrow" I have been shooting my glen del buck every day for 5 months and have not been questioned once........
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo Blackout

If it has two lungs, i hunt it......

I had my experience with a HOA also. I am hunting private land adjacent to a large development. I went in through the development, parked on a city street, broke no laws. When I stepped out of my truck and walked 10 feet, I was on the private property. I never hung around my truck, slamming tailgates, talking loud, tried to do everything possible not to offend the neighbors. The closest house to my parking spot was 100 yards. I never brought out dead animals until after dark, and never if any of the neighbors were outside.

I began having a neighbor talking to me about complaints from the HOA. I rechecked the laws through a city policeman and I was in the right, but apparently unwelcome. This same neighbor that had been nice to me, drunk, on Christmas eve accosted me at my truck and things almost got physical, and would have if I had not walked away. Then I found out that he was a HOA officer, and that he was complaining. He was calling DNR 50 times a day and finally law enforcement met with me and explained that I was in the right, but, the HOA didn't want me there. When DNR met with me, the neighbor, drunk, came over and began to rant and rave. The officer had to explain that he was standing on private land, not HOA land and had to leave or face tresspassing charges. Both myself and DNR tried to explain that the neighborhood had a problem with wild hogs moving in and would be in the neighborhood if it were not for me hunting them keeping them pushed into the swamp. The drunk HOA officer called us all liars, etc.

To make a short story long, I started going in through another access point. Now the hogs go into the neighborhood and root up yards, and chase joggers and dog walkers at will. The drunk neighbor actually called, hogs rooted up his yard and scared his wife and kids, and left me a message and wanted me to trap or hunt the hogs. I told him to go pound sand, I call that poetic justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Inc. View Post
    Boy could this thread come back and haunt you if thing ever went more Southern on Ya.
    The odds of that are so remote that I don't mind the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCMan View Post
    I had my experience with a HOA also. I am hunting private land adjacent to a large development. I went in through the development, parked on a city street, broke no laws. When I stepped out of my truck and walked 10 feet, I was on the private property. I never hung around my truck, slamming tailgates, talking loud, tried to do everything possible not to offend the neighbors. The closest house to my parking spot was 100 yards. I never brought out dead animals until after dark, and never if any of the neighbors were outside.

I began having a neighbor talking to me about complaints from the HOA. I rechecked the laws through a city policeman and I was in the right, but apparently unwelcome. This same neighbor that had been nice to me, drunk, on Christmas eve accosted me at my truck and things almost got physical, and would have if I had not walked away. Then I found out that he was a HOA officer, and that he was complaining. He was calling DNR 50 times a day and finally law enforcement met with me and explained that I was in the right, but, the HOA didn't want me there. When DNR met with me, the neighbor, drunk, came over and began to rant and rave. The officer had to explain that he was standing on private land, not HOA land and had to leave or face tresspassing charges. Both myself and DNR tried to explain that the neighborhood had a problem with wild hogs moving in and would be in the neighborhood if it were not for me hunting them keeping them pushed into the swamp. The drunk HOA officer called us all liars, etc.

To make a short story long, I started going in through another access point. Now the hogs go into the neighborhood and root up yards, and chase joggers and dog walkers at will. The drunk neighbor actually called, hogs rooted up his yard and scared his wife and kids, and left me a message and wanted me to trap or hunt the hogs. I told him to go pound sand, I call that poetic justice.
    I love this! God Bless you!
    Do or Do Not, There is No Try... -Master Yoda-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast