Thread: Excalibur Recurve vs equal value Compound Crossbow.

Excalibur Recurve vs equal value Compound Crossbow.

Looking for some advice. Recently recieved an Excalibur Axiom as a gift. Having shot regular bows for over 40 years, I am not very knowledgable on Crossbows. I have been trying to find out some pro's and cons of the different types. ie recurve vs compound. The Excalibur touts simplicity, and having been through growing pains of growing up shooting compounds through out the speed bow era. I realize simplicity can be good. In moderation! Are Compound models far superior in tunability, accuracy, speed, size, etc? Should I keep the Excalibur or exchange it for a Compound Crossbow of equal value? What recomendations do you have?

Thanks,

Keep it, you won't be disappointed.

You have Excalibur Axiom which is one of their bottom line bows in price range. The Axiom is still as acurrate and simple as their top of the line bows. They are plenty fast to kill anything you're hunting in the woods. I've had an Excal for 3 years now and they're very simple to use and with the right arrow they're hard to beat. In the same price range their speed is pretty good, tunability is superior because there is nothing to tune on a recurve crossbow other than to add a few twists in the string. The only drawback I see in a recurve is they're wider than a compound crossbow. If I was going to upgrade to another crossbow it would be the new Excalibur Matix line which is 6 inches narrower than the Axiom that you have. Excalibur has great customer service if you ever need it with a compnay that has been making crossbow for over 30 years now. One thing where a recurve is superior is that you can decock it everytime when you're done hunting or shooting where the majority of most of the compound models you have to shoot the arrow out of it. Good luck and have fun
    Elite Energy 35 and Carbon Express CXL 150's
    Excalibur Matrix 330 and 380 and Black Eagle Executioners
    Slick Trick Grizz Trick 2 and QAD Exodus Broadheads

To answer your questions directly...

Compounds are not superior in tunability. They generally require the same timing/synch tuning as a vertical compound bow, which means invest in a press or take it to a shop to adjust if needed.

Every crossbow should be more accurate than the shooter. If anyone brags about the accuracy of a certain crossbow it is mostly because they have good quality arrows and shooting ability. It generally is not the brand or type of crossbow that makes the difference.

A compound crossbow will be narrower, probably a bit quieter, and faster than the axiom. They are also usually heavier and must be fired to unlock where the Excalibur can be let down without shooting it.
    <')))><

You wont be dissapointed with the Axiom, just as accurate as any other Excalibur. I have been using Excalibur sincce the late 80s with no complaints. I own the vortex which is more than i need to havest game. If your into speed them the matrix models are next in line.

Been shoot Excal since 92 and love love love them. Keep it.

I have been shooting several xbows over the last two months. I am in the same boat as you and I narrowed my choices down to a Ten Pt or a Matrix 380 (the newer ones witht he anti dry trigger). I decided to keep saving up and get the Matrix! Awesome shooting, as was the compounds, but just felt better when I shouldered it and lighter.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.......

I actually just traded a like new TP Shadow UL for a Excal Matrix 355. I loved the Shadow but me being out of work and no shops real close to my house I look at it this way no cables to pay for and if the string goes during hunting season I can change it at home and out hunting I go. I did shoot the Axion the other day just to try it at Gander Mountain and was putting some nice groups with it at 30 yards.

Stay with the Excalibur. I've been making strings for them since they used Astro Daco scorpion limbs back in the stone age. The simpler you can go into a hunting situation the better. I've been preaching that since I worked at The Crossbow Place in Jeromesville Ohio while I was in college.

Excalibur Recurve vs equal value Compound Crossbow? IMO there IS no compound to equal the Excalibur recurve! I have to laugh every time I see someone post something like: "What recurve should I buy for a backup to my compound crossbow?" Exactly backwards thinking. If you make the recurve your go-to bow, the compound will rust away before it's needed as backup!!

Jack ><>
    They that sow in tears shall reap in joy
    Middleton DTM 375 SS
    Man Kung 300fps Frankenbow, MK-150A3B forcefeed fisher
    Jack Pine Brush Hog & Death Dart Arrows
    Jack Pine Bionic Bowstrings

That's what I'm talking about Jack.

And Lefty don't leave out the 355 it's not a shabby bow by any means just got my scope on today and wow I had not had a Excal since the Equinox and it was shooting 350 but what vib it had at the shot even with after market string stops just nasty. I have not been interested in them but the Matrix had me wondering so I had to trade my new TP for it. While I loved the way it shot not near as loud as Matrix but love the durability of the Matrix could say I'm a happy camper with M355.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pine View Post
    Excalibur Recurve vs equal value Compound Crossbow? IMO there IS no compound to equal the Excalibur recurve! I have to laugh every time I see someone post something like: "What recurve should I buy for a backup to my compound crossbow?" Exactly backwards thinking. If you make the recurve your go-to bow, the compound will rust away before it's needed as backup!!

Jack ><>
    Hey Jack hope all is goin well. Jus as Jack Pine says ppl. get it backwards. You should always buy a quality recurve crossbow 1st. Then after that add a Compound style to yyer stable when you can afford to play wid it.
    Kong Matrix 405 Fast Strong n Deadly
    Marie Laveau Matrix 355
    Banshee MXB 320
    vixenmaster strings

Quote Originally Posted by smokepolehall View Post
    Hey Jack hope all is goin well. Jus as Jack Pine says ppl. get it backwards. You should always buy a quality recurve crossbow 1st. Then after that add a Compound style to yyer stable when you can afford to play wid it.
    I am doing well Mike, glad to see you pecking away at the keyboard, brother.
    Jack ><>
    They that sow in tears shall reap in joy
    Middleton DTM 375 SS
    Man Kung 300fps Frankenbow, MK-150A3B forcefeed fisher
    Jack Pine Brush Hog & Death Dart Arrows
    Jack Pine Bionic Bowstrings

My Matrix 355 is driving tacks at 20, 30, and 40 yards with the Excal arrows and the Excal Bolt Cutter 150's.

Quote Originally Posted by cc122368 View Post
    My Matrix 355 is driving tacks at 20, 30, and 40 yards with the Excal arrows and the Excal Bolt Cutter 150's.
    X2 Great crossbow.

Matrix 380,
    Savage axis 243,
    Mossberg 500 3 barrel combo,
    Traditions Pursuit 50 Cal,