a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Shooting bow in the neighborhood

Shooting bow in the neighborhood

Oxford's incidence this afternoon brings up another important issue that should be addressed. What does the law say about shooting ones bow, a deadly weapon, in our backyards, even though we take (or at least should) extreme measures to be safe? Is it any different than shooting a gun? Do any of us shoot our guns in our basement, well, not me, we don't have those rooms in Florida. Just because a bow makes no noise, does it make it any less dangerous?......What say ye bowmen and lawmen?........ck

Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I've never seen a problem that politicians could not make worse

I live in unicorporated Will county in Illinois and have no legal problems. I have understanding neighbors, and keep a sharp eye on the back ground to my targets I occasionally back up to 60 and 70 yards by using my neighbor's yard. When the lady next door is in her back yard, I don't shoot, or I'll move to my tree stand and shoot down for a while.

I've been told by a Joliet officer whom I got started in archery that he's checked and believes there are no laws governing shooting a bow in one's yard in Joliet. So he practices in his yard. I've been told by others that "all" municipalities have rules about "launched projectiles" that can be applied to bows, sling shots, and even thrown objects, (spears, darts, rocks).
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Here in New Jersey shooting a bow is considered the same thing as shooting a gun. Consider this:

Several friends of mine were shooting in his driveway into the garage. Neighbor calls police, police come and write tickets for illegal discharge of a weapon, and IMPOUND THE BOWS. He had to get a lawyer, go to court etc, etc. but it was a couple of months before he got his bow back. I can live with a fine or a summons, but impound my bow? No !@##$$$ way!

An experianced shooter in Australia had an arrow go through his fence and killed his neighbour instantly. If you shoot in your backyard consider all possible freak situations before you do. I shoot in my garage because if I miss, I can not possibly hit anyone. And sometimes missed happen (breaking strings etc).
    Beiter Nocks
    Urban Archery

When I started shooting, I set up a target in a small public park. It didn’t take long before the cops kicked me out – telling me it was a firearm and under the same rules as applied to BB guns.

A few days later I called the police station and asked if my son and I could shoot his little bow and arrow that he got for his birthday in the front driveway. They said warmly, “Ohhh sure”. He shot for about a week before he was back to War Kraft III Temple of Dead Things computer game. And now I shoot my little Protec into my garage each night while standing in the street.

The neighbors love it because I’ve taught most of the kids and dads how to shoot and I am the ultimate Crime Watcher in the neighborhood. I know who comes and goes.

So far the cops have not driven by while I am shooting. I dread the day they hassle me. They will never take my bow – that is for sure.

It seems that we are lucky in sweden...
    Here a bow and arrow are considered to be "sport- equipment" while a crossbow is equal to a firearm.
    I shoot 30m on my backyard, but 50,70,90 I use my neighbours
    90m? well I don´t exactly live in a town... and I have the best neighbours there is.
    Lennart Nordsvahn

Here in the city of Tonawanda, NY it is illegal discharge of a weapon in City limits. A bow is a weapon no matter how you look at. That is what I was told by the local Police Dept. I then went to my local DEC (D-Con) Officer, & asked if I could Bow fish in city limits. He said yes as long as I have a fishing license, and the bow was set up for fishing (COOL.)
    I then got Archery involved in my local schools again & have helped with the P-E dept. to get things set up. My neighbors have no problems with me shooting into my garage & now the Police don't either. They say is still a weapon but till someone complains They just drive by & watch. I do think most local police wont bother you if you go about it in a SAFE manor
    Now there is a Lot of hunters, spot shooters in the city shooting & we all do our best to make sure everything around us is save as we can make it. Accidents do happen & you have to deal with it if they do
    Feather Vision National staff Shooter- PSE Dominator PRO- Stan - Black Ice / Super X 2 - Easton Full Bore / / www.FeatherVisions.com -Archery Optical Professionals. Stan Releases https://www.ishootastan.com/ . Cooper John Sights http://www.copperjohn.com/

Talking

All this makes me GLAD I dont live inside the city limits!

Scandinavia

Originally posted by Zook
    It seems that we are lucky in sweden...
    Here a bow and arrow are considered to be "sport- equipment" while a crossbow is equal to a firearm.
    I shoot 30m on my backyard, but 50,70,90 I use my neighbours
    90m? well I don´t exactly live in a town... and I have the best neighbours there is.
    Zook... Yeah, we are definitely lucky here in Scandinavia. I would surely screw things up in the US suburbs with the bow and the arrow... You don't come to think about these issues when living in the woods like me. There's a bad example about this in the UK. A fellow long-bow archer of mine had a miss when practising uphill shooting on the backyard of his house. He'd placed the target high in a tree. The arrow missed the target and hit a car on the street. Luckily no-one was hurt - but the man inside got a bit scared...

T

Hey Spot!
    Let´s stay in the woods
    Lennart Nordsvahn

You guys probably will not believe this but in my town you can shoot firearms in the city limits. There is no ordiance against it. I have duck hunted in large fields in the city limits and it is perfectly legal. Last year we hunted in a field in front of the mayors house. The cops came a few times but checked us out and told us we were fine.

in town

I live in a small town and work in a larger one. At my house I can shoot 70 yards using my neighbors yard. When I first moved there they all thought I was nuts, now my neighbors are so proud of my accomplishments in archery. I shoot on my lunch hour at the office. If I stand in the street and shoot between the houses (our office is in a residential area) to the privacy fence I have 50 yards. I have had the local police and firemen stop and watch me shoot, so I guess its ok with them.

Talking

3DMama,
    I would venture a guess that the local law enforcment and fire patrol are more interested in you "form" than your actual shooting! But that's just my opinion! LOL

Anyway, I live just outside of the City of Greensburg, and in my neighborhood, I shoot my bow in my yard, out to 90 meters! It is great to have a range at home! i only have neighbors on one side of me, and he told me I could shoot from his property if I wanted to, but I told him 120 yards is quite far enough! LOL

--mike

very funny mecrowe Well for whatever reason I can still practice everyday

Talking

3dMama,
    Just speaking from my male point of view...I know what I would be looking at...

take care,
    --mike