Thread: Archery shop review/warning!

Archery shop review/warning!

Broken arrow archery of Merced, CA. owned and operated by Gary Belcher. The absolute worst place to bring your bow! If you live in the central valley of CA your money is way better spent driving to Predator Archery in Gilroy, CA.

IT'S TIME TO HANG IT UP GARY BEFORE YOU DESTROY SOMEONE'S BOW!

I took my new Encounter and Brute X to have him set them up. He beat the crap out of my bows, fumbling around, banging them against everything, dropped my Encounter, accidentally let it go while using a scale hanging from the ceiling. Just about knocked his teeth out! While on the hook he let it go and it slid down the scale hook and smacked the cam. He sreved the peep in with some lame multi half hitch knots and left the tag end hanging about a half inch, I complained a bit and he tried to tell me how he is a "Professional" and knows exactly what he is doing. When installing the NAP Sizzor drop away rest he could not figure out how to set the string to activate the rest, I had to go over the procedure several times before I had to finally insist that he do it like i was telling him to. After fumbling with it for a half hour, I ended up doing it my self as he stood there bad mouthing the rest and swore that he would never work on or install on of "Those piece of s**t rests again" on top of that, he couldn't even tie the string loop knot either. after several attempts i just did it my self. He put my bow down on his tool and parts cluttered counter and started to work on it there. I asked him to put my bow in the bow vice and work on it there before he ended up scratching/damaging my bow. He placed my brute in the press upside down pressing on the outside of the limbs while stating "your not supposed to do it like this but..."

When he jacked my sight bracket on my brute AND BANGED INTO THE LIMB POCKET WITH A HACKSAW! I came unglued. I packed up my s**t and ran out of there.

I have been using Predator for years and Curtis and Mike know just about all there is on how to handle and set up your equipment! I should have know better than to expect the same treatment and REAL professionalism from a D-BAG like Gary Belcher.

If you like your bow manhandled and beat up, take it to Broken Arrow. You might end up with a Broken Bow instead!!
    Proper Practice Promotes Perfect Placement ->----------------> (X)

Thumbs up San Diego's east county Bow & Arrow shop review

On a way better note!! San Diego's East county Bow & Arrow shop is by far a top notch shop!
    Bruce and his staff will go out of their way to make you feel confident about have them working on your Archery equipment.
    By explaining do's, don'ts, and why!! When you leave there you'll feel like family!
    This is probably the best shop in San Diego County
    http://www.bownarrowshop.com/
    Doug
    Bowtech Assassin
    Gold Tip Arrows
    Black Gold Rush
    Jim Fletcher Release. Fletch Hook lifetime warranty!!!
    http://fletcherarchery.com/

Predator's is terrible. They have managed to screw up everything I have asked them to do for me, including one arrow order that they f***ed up 5 TIMES IN A ROW! The shop is cluttered and disorganized. You can stand in line for hours waiting your turn. The lessons are great…until you realize that the lesson plan is exactly the same EVERY TIME! And they don't really care to give you good service if you aren't going to spend big bucks in their store. They also strung my friend's compound wrong so that the strings rubbed together, and it almost derailed and blew up in his face when he fired it. Mike also attempted to string my olympic recurve by putting the limb tip against his foot and pressing the limb against his legs and trying to force the string up the other limb instead of using the stringer sitting on the table 3 feet away, and all the while saying (sound familiar?) "you shouldn't do this, but…" The other members of my archery club (interestingly enough, excluding the hot girls; make of that what you will) have had similar experiences...
    Last edited by tjlavelle; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjlavelle View Post
    Predator's is terrible. They have managed to screw up everything I have asked them to do for me, including one arrow order that they f***ed up 5 TIMES IN A ROW! The shop is cluttered and disorganized. You can stand in line for hours waiting your turn. The lessons are great…until you realize that the lesson plan is exactly the same EVERY TIME! And they don't really care to give you good service if you aren't going to spend big bucks in their store. They also strung my friend's compound wrong so that the strings rubbed together, and it almost derailed and blew up in his face when he fired it. Mike also attempted to string my olympic recurve by putting the limb tip against his foot and pressing the limb against his legs and trying to force the string up the other limb instead of using the stringer sitting on the table 3 feet away, and all the while saying (sound familiar?) "you shouldn't do this, but…" The other members of my archery club (interestingly enough, excluding the hot girls; make of that what you will) have had similar experiences...
    Couldn't agree more!

Predator's is staffed by a sorry cast of bumbling fools . I tried to give them $900 for a new bow on 3 separate occasions. Each time I made an appointment ahead of time, showed up on schedule, then waited over an hour for extremely unprofessional service. Even though they had the bow I wanted in stock, not once was I able to test shoot it at my desired DW and DL, despite specifying what I wanted each time I scheduled. Overall, it was the most frustrating and unbelievable retail experience I've ever had. Simply amazing they're still in business!!
    Elite Energy 32 (29.5", 70 lbs), Limbdriver Pro V, Elite quiver, Fuse Carbon Blade 8.5, GT Velocity XT 300.

I recently visited a few archery shops in norcal, Fat Shafts Archery in Benecia and Frontline archery in Dixon. I personally was not impressed with Frontline Archery and won't visit it again. Went in for a simple peep site and dloop install on a new bow, called ahead and gentlemen said stop in and he would take care of it. When I arrived and few hours later he said he was busy and asked if i could leave the bow, He would install everything that evening and adjust it when I return the next day. I said sure no problem. When I return the next day at the time instructed too, my bow was still on the rack with nothing done to it. Frustrated after two trips and 40 miles I asked for my bow and left.
    So I google archery shops near Fairfield and see Fat shafts archery. I give them a call and they say stop in anytime and they would help me out. So I head down there. When I get there I notice that there shop is well organized and professional. They have some inventory of new bows and an indoor range. The tech greets me as I walk in and ask how he can help me. Told him what I needed and he starts right on it. After he gets finishes he has me shoot a few to make sure everything was perfect for me. When I ask him how much I owe him he said 12 $. What a deal. I pay him that and some extra for dinner. Great Shop!!! Just my two cents.

That's too bad. It's getting to be more and more the case these days... to the point where if I'm even shown the slightest amount of customer service, I feel special.

My local shop, Riverside Archery, is an awesome shop. Great selection, smart and friendly staff. My only criticism of the shop was that it was like you needed to hold the place up just to get some attention. But once you get it, it seems to be yours until you walk out with what you need, be it products or answers. They've gotten much better about this in recent months.

I bought my first bow there and Chris helped me out... answered all my questions, didn't pressure me into anything I didn't want or need. Was willing to set up and let me shoot anything I wanted. I highly recommend for anyone in the SoCal, Inland Empire area.
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Knight, 60#
    2014 Bowtech RPM 360, 60#, Stormy Hardwoods BloodTrail Fade

Archery only in Newark is a good place to go imo. They know what they are doing and how to set your bow up if needed. The only downside is it gets so busy there on the weekend it's hard to get attention but they do their best and I have never left disappointed.

riv96- Frontline in Dixon sucks! I will never give him my money again. Your experience is par for the course. Paid him in full for my RPM 360, after a month of "no bows" coming in I asked for my money back. Had to wait 2 day because he already spent my money, "to fill my shelves." Complained that he needed to move money from his personal account to get my money.

Nobody I know in Solano Co. goes there, I think he says in business by equipment repair and range fees.

He's more interested in letting his dog out then help customers.

I've heard great things about Fat Shaft, but my shop is Wilderness in Rocklin. The owner set me up when he heard about my issues with the owner at Frontline. (Left the same day with my fully tuned 360)

He knows where I live and always offers to ship me the things buy from him. Top notch customer service and family owned since the 50's!
    Bowtech RPM360 - 73.8# @ 29" / Boss Hogg / QAD HDX / Tight Spot w/ my custom carbon bracket / Easton DaTORCH / Tony219er custom threads

Quote Originally Posted by GGFerrier View Post
    riv96- Frontline in Dixon sucks! I will never give him my money again. Your experience is par for the course. Paid him in full for my RPM 360, after a month of "no bows" coming in I asked for my money back. Had to wait 2 day because he already spent my money, "to fill my shelves." Complained that he needed to move money from his personal account to get my money.

Nobody I know in Solano Co. goes there, I think he says in business by equipment repair and range fees.

He's more interested in letting his dog out then help customers.

I've heard great things about Fat Shaft, but my shop is Wilderness in Rocklin. The owner set me up when he heard about my issues with the owner at Frontline. (Left the same day with my fully tuned 360)

He knows where I live and always offers to ship me the things buy from him. Top notch customer service and family owned since the 50's!
    Yep a lesson learned for me, Frontline archery will never get any business from me. I've heard great things about wilderness in Rocklin also, but I have not had the privilege of visiting them yet. Thanks for the info. Hopefully soon I'll be able to check out there shop.

Quote Originally Posted by riv96 View Post
    Yep a lesson learned for me, Frontline archery will never get any business from me. I've heard great things about wilderness in Rocklin also, but I have not had the privilege of visiting them yet. Thanks for the info. Hopefully soon I'll be able to check out there shop.
    It's a haul so I make it a day trip... Drop the wife off at the Roseville Galleria, the boyz and I go to Wilderness, maybe even Sportsman's Warehouse.
    Bowtech RPM360 - 73.8# @ 29" / Boss Hogg / QAD HDX / Tight Spot w/ my custom carbon bracket / Easton DaTORCH / Tony219er custom threads

Another +1 for Fat Shafts Archery. They took care me and set me up proper. Always answer my emails and questions when I go in.