Thread: Bitzenburger vs Bohning Pro Class fletching jigs

Bitzenburger vs Bohning Pro Class fletching jigs

I posted this in the Arrows and String sub Forum but I am getting no responses, so I thought I would pose the same question here.

I'm looking to start a small archery shop out of my shop as a side business. Mostly making/fletching arrows, installing strings, tuning, installing peeps and so on.
    I've been using a JoJan fletching jig but had a lot of trouble fletching small diameter arrows with offset on it. I've now got rid if the Multi and I am looking to get something more professional. I can't afford screw ups when doing customers arrows.
    If I go with the Bohning, I can afford 4 straight jigs and a extra set of clamps in helical. Or...Should I get a couple Bitz' in straight with the extra clamps in helical with the nock receivers that are required. 2 Bitz' and accessories would be my budget for now.
    Any major differences (beside plastic vs metal)? Would having more jigs be beneficial?

What does everyone think? I appreciate any helpful suggestions.
    Mathews Creed- The best SHOOTIN' bow I've ever owned!

Personally I'd go with the Bitz.
    If you are having issue with small diameter arrow purchase the zenith upgrade.
    http://www.zenitharchery.com/home.htm
    The difference with the plastic vs metal is you can easily clean any glue residue of the metal. No so easy on the plastic.
    New Breed Cyborg | Mathews DLD | Hoyt Carbon Matrix | Tallon Whisky-Jack Longbow
    New Breed Archery Field Staff
    Supporter of Nuge's Strings

I've heard that the clamps of the Bitz is also fairly soft being made
    out of Aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbear74 View Post
    I've heard that the clamps of the Bitz is also fairly soft being made
    out of Aluminum.
    While that may be true aluminum is still harder than plastic.
    New Breed Cyborg | Mathews DLD | Hoyt Carbon Matrix | Tallon Whisky-Jack Longbow
    New Breed Archery Field Staff
    Supporter of Nuge's Strings

I own both and for me, it's not even close. The bitzenberger is a LOT better.

- A little glue spill on the clamps & you have a real mess with the plastic clamps. Just need a little acetone with the bitz
    - The bohning I have is marked Right Wing, but is clearly a left wing clamp
    - the bitz magnet is a bit stronger than the Bohning.
    - the bitz is just better made & easier to use (especially with the zenith upgrade)

When buying equipment for a business you will be ahead in the long run to buy the best you can afford. It's cheaper in the long run.

Definitely get the zenith upgrade. For those of us who only fletch a couple of dozen arrows a year, it's a lot easier to do a good job. Next year, you may have built up the skill to use the bitz without the upgrade, but for now you'll be glad you got it.

JMHO,
    Allen

For what it is worth, every shop that I have been in that fletches arrows uses the bitz. I would strongly recommend the Zenith upgrade. Since you will probably be fletching mostly carbon arrows with vanes, you will probably be using Cyanoacrylate glue, which sets up in the absence of air. You have to press down on the clamp with the vane in it to expell the air between the vane and the shaft or the vane will not stick to the shaft. Without the Zenith upgrade, if you are not very skilled, on the vane where the nock lines up with the clamp, there will be a gap, as the shaft wants to flex away from the clamp. I know from experience. The Zenith upgrade is not that expensive and greatly reduces the possibility of this happening.
    Since the bitz lasts and lasts, you might be able to pick up a used model. I got mine from a yard sale over 30 years ago and it is as good as new. Just my thoughts. Good luck

Bitz for me.
    WWW.PROLINEBOWSTRINGS.COM OR CALL 513-801-5984
    HAYMONDSARCHERY.COM OR CALL 315-681-1676
    DEERCROSSING ARCHERY DEALER

Thanks guys. I've been leaning more and more toward the Bitz.

I only have experience with the Bitz and I don't think I'll ever have to replace it.

if you're going into business fletching other people's arrows.....get the Bitz clamps, simply because that's what people recognize as the best clamp......"customer relations"

How many jigs are you going to buy? If only one or a couple, you might want to consider the Firenock Aerovane Jig. Highest quality jig on the market, but they'd get expensive quick though if you wanted a full rotating fletching table full of them though (They're in a different price league too...)

I was think off getting two Bitz's. For now anyway. Can maybe add another couple down the line.

Do you need clamp release tape with the Bitz?

It also looks like you remove the nock on the Zenith upgrade. Is this right?

Ttt

The Bitz is the only way to go, I use a zip strip to remove vanes and glue and then a Bitz with a right helical clamp... I use easton axis which are pretty small shafts and do it with no problems

Ordered two Bitzs today. Will have to wait a little to order the helical clamps. Still got questions about the Zenith upgrade though.