Thread: NY Crossbow law gains support

NY Crossbow law gains support

I just read on Crossbow Nation that NY Gov. Cuomo is supporting crossbows as legal hunting implements.

For crossbow hunters in NY it is time to write your elected representatives to offer support for passage of legislation legalizing crossbows

Efforts in 2013 to reauthorize the "2011 and 2012 gun-season use of crossbows" were thwarted by Assemblyman Sweeney, chairman of the environmental conservation committee , who feels that since cross-bows are "superior weapons" they should not be used in any season.
    http://www.outdoornews.com/August-20...perior-weapon/

Lets hope that politics won't get in the way of allowing crossbow hunting for 2014.

Press release from NYS Crossbow Coalition follows:

For Immediate Release: January 8, 2014
    Phone: 315-882-1540
    Email: rick@nycrossbowcoalition.com

Statement from NYS Crossbow Coalition
    on Governor Andrew Cuomo’s 2014 State of the State Address

(Albany, NEW YORK) The New York Crossbow Coalition today issued the following statement from Coalition’s President, Rick McDermott:

“The New York Crossbow Coalition greatly appreciates Governor Cuomo, in his State of the State address, specifically lending his support to our efforts to recognize crossbows as a legal hunting implement in New York State. New York State hunters have been arbitrarily denied the use of crossbows for too long. The Governor’s announcement today will help pave the way for the state’s sportsmen and women to legally use crossbows in New York State. Over the past few decades the number of hunters has steadily declined. With the Governor’s support, we are hopeful that the Legislature will agree to take action to reverse this trend by allowing DEC to provide additional hunting opportunities for crossbow hunters. We are also supportive of the Governor’s efforts on behalf of sportsmen and women to increase access to state lands, provide liability protections to private landowners and create a new adventure license. These actions will assist the State in properly managing the State’s deer and wildlife populations, provide new opportunities for hunters and help stimulate the state’s economy.”

To read the Governor’s 2014 State of the State address, visit the Governor’s website at http://www.governor.ny.gov/

About The New York Crossbow Coalition

The New York Crossbow Coalition is a pro hunting grassroots organization dedicated to promoting the hunter recruitment and retention opportunities provided by the crossbow. New York Crossbow Coalition advocates for the civil rights of all sportsmen and women of New York, regardless of age, sex or physical abilities, by pursuing the classification of a crossbow as a legal bow for use in any season where archery equipment is permitted, including archery only areas. A majority of our members consist of current and former bowhunters and other sportsmen and women.

Efforts in 2013 to reauthorize the "2011 and 2012 gun-season use of crossbows" were thwarted by Assemblyman Sweeney, chairman of the environmental conservation committee , who feels that since cross-bows are "superior weapons" they should not be used in any season.
    I guess Rep. Sweeny has hunted with one of these "superior weapons"? or just taking the word of the anti-crossbow bowhunters?

My guess is the latter...

The good hunters of New York state want crossbows and these minority hunting groups can't change that no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I guess Rep. Sweeny has hunted with one of these "superior weapons"? or just taking the word of the anti-crossbow bowhunters?

My guess is the latter...
    My thoughts are he has NEVER hunted with a crossbow or he would know the truth about this "superior weapon" BS! He is just drinking the kool-aid of the NY anti hunter group that fights inclusion every year! He is probably looking at re election & campaign donations as well!! Politicians should NOT be involved in this.....Look at Wisconsin the politicians' there were more worried about lobbyist than the resource for many years! Put the decision in the hands of the biologist & people concerned about the resource NOT re-election!

NY sucks, i would never step foot in that state anyway, would most likely get robbed cuz only crooks have guns there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut72 View Post
    NY sucks, i would never step foot in that state anyway, would most likely get robbed cuz only crooks have guns there.
    I am sure there are many law abiding citizens & hunters there as well!!!

news:::Thursday, April 03, 2014
    On Tuesday, April 1, 2014, the New York 2014-2015 approved budget – which the Assembly and Senate approved on March 31 – was signed into law. Included in the approved state budget are provisions which will allow crossbow use for all small game and any big game season that includes firearms. Additionally, crossbows will be allowed during the last 14 days of the Southern Zone and the last 10 days of the Northern Zone early archery seasons. Suffolk and Westchester counties are the only areas of the state where hunting is legal that will be excluded from these new crossbow allowances. Crossbows will now be turned over to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to draft regulations.

“This was a hard-won victory that is the result of collaboration and persistence,” said Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther, Co-Chair of the New York Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus.* “Allowing use of the crossbow will enable more people to hunt with archery equipment – including those with disabilities and aging bow hunters who can no longer use a longbow or compound bow.* I’m proud to have worked with my colleagues and the sportsmen’s community to realize this change that will attract additional sportsmen and allow those who have been active sportsmen for years to stay active.”

Another critical sportsmen’s issue included in the budget is a reduction of the current archery setback of 500 feet (the distance required from an occupied dwelling which a bow or crossbow may be discharged) to 150 feet for bows and 250 feet for crossbows. This measure will greatly help the DEC manage burgeoning wildlife populations in suburban areas. Both the archery setback reduction and crossbow inclusion were recommended by the DEC in their Five-Year Deer Management Plan released in 2011.

Rick McDermott, President of the New York Crossbow Coalition and lead in-state champion of this issue stated, “The New York Crossbow Coalition celebrates the enactment of this legislation recognizing crossbows as legal hunting implements in New York State and reducing setbacks for archery equipment. We thank all who worked on this issue, including the New York Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus, for their support and commitment to sportsmen and women. These new measures will provide additional opportunities for hunting and professional wildlife management across New York, while simultaneously stimulating the state’s economy. This is a great victory for sportsmen and women in New York, as well as professional wildlife management, and is a reflection of the strong cooperative effort among all outdoors groups.” Rick McDermott also serves as the Vice-Chairman of the New York Sportsmen’s Advisory Council – a coalition of in-state sportsmen’s conservation groups that supports the Caucus.
    States Involved
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut72 View Post
    I have lots of guns and I'm not a crook. Never been robbed yet, either. You might want to get some facts before you make a statement like that. But not everyone cares about facts.
    Hoyt Vectrix

Yep as soon as someone hears ny they automatically think of the rat race in the city. To bad that 90 percent of ny is not the city

i just think of how anti-gun/unamerican everything i hear coming out of new york is on the news, almost as bad as cali.... but i try not to believe all the "facts" i hear on the news either, but i do believe it is a gun grabbing state. i can't deal with that.