a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Hickory Creek Inline/Vertical crossbow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775

    Hickory Creek Inline/Vertical crossbow

    I get occasional questions on the HC Vertical Crossbow and Drawlocs I'm sure there are folks here that have more experience than I do with the Drawlocs on vertical compound bows so maybe some folks here can relay their experiences with it. My older version Inline that i set up horizontally may not be the best setup for most folks but I like like it. I'm using a Zeiss Z-Point red dot reflex sight (parallax free) mounted on the riser, sighted in for 30 yards. I use a Ten Point SteddyEddy attached underneath the barrel and it's also used as a fore end grip. 72 lb draw (nice:-) shooting 400 grain 27" Easton ACC's right at 300 fps and it's as quiet as a mouse. Sting and cable wear is virtually no existent and it can be easily uncocked after the hunt. The bow is super versatile. I wanted to shoot mine with the rear pistol grip/trigger horizontally so it would feel similar to my vertical bow triggers I used to shoot....so I did it:-) I anchor my hand on my face just as I did with vertical compounds and it will drive nails at 30 yards. It's a neat little arrow slinger for sure
    Pictured below are photos of my horizontal setup and the latest vertical trigger forward version which makes an awesome little hunting bow.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775
    A couple more photos:-) The bow can be quickly dismantled for traveling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    I will say this that Wes and I meet Jerry and shot this bow. I told Jerry that I would talk about my experience. Well let me say beside the Scorpyd this was the only other bow I would have bought at this years ATA show. Its light supper quiet and easy to draw. Fast and just an all around blast. Jerry is one great guy and has a real passion for his bow. I will be getting one. If anyone has questions on how this bow shoots or shoulders please pm me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775
    Can't do this with a conventional crossbow:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    859
    Does this form factor introduce the possibility of string interference from heavy winter clothing? Anyone have actual shooting experience with that condition? Looks like you would need to be careful just like with a normal vertical compound bow.
    NRA Life Member

    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    mtn view oklahoma
    Posts
    932
    heavy clothing didnt bother my shooting at all, beens string is held in place you can bend bow arm however needed to clear. i think its a great bow, wouldnt have got rid of mine if it had lighter limbs, my state calls it a crossbow and we have 100lb min dw, it killed my shoulder cocking it, otherwise awesome bow and very very accurate,
    2013 MXB 320
    Hawke,BEEs/Ramcats
    2012 SZ350
    Hawke, BEEs /Ramcats

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Troy, MO
    Posts
    6,118
    I want one of these some day. I think the 80 - 100 pounder would be sweet. I would love to shoot one but I'm afraid if I did, I would buy it.
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Excalibur Micro

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    I already have the original Draw Loc and now the newer version I bought in the past year. The newer one is what Jerry's new in-line vertical crossbow seems to be based on. In Indiana the minimum poundage for bows is 35# and minimum poundage for crossbows is 125#....figure that one out with today's technology!

    Moon, it would seem your in-line vertical crossboww would be much easier to draw than a convential crossbow by hand and that it's longer powerstroke will give you much more speed with all else being equal: poundage drawn and arrow/bolt weight. I don't own a crossbow and don't know how the noise levels compare when they are compared new out of the box and then compared with common noise and vibration reducing add on's such as Limbsaver, BowJax, etc.

    Both styles now have the ability to be drawn with a cranking device now that Jerry figured out how to simply adapt a Barnett crossbow crank aid.

    Crossbow technology seems to be increasing very quickly with both styles listed above. As a fairly new user, I simply don't know enough about all the designs to know which one to buy, if I was choosing just one to use for hunting today. I really like the light weight design and adequate speed of the in-line vertical. I hope other experienced shooters will comment on this. Thanks for starting this thread Moon!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775
    Phatom1, I think Raleigh has posted some good info on HC's products. Check with him.

    As to noise levels, I've never seen a crossbow that shoots as quietly as my little 72 lb draw Inline but I have no experience with the heavier draw versions.
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Arkansas
    Posts
    143
    I've got the HC Inline and shoot it vertically, the same way Moon has it pictured in post #4. I shoot it with a red dot sight and I'm always amazed at its accuracy and quietness. I've shot it with heavy gloves and coat with no problems whatsoever. I've owned several crossbows in the past and have shot some of the later models and have yet to find anything I would prefer over my Inline. It's sweet.
    Man knows not his time..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Thanks Moon, I will check out Raleigh's HC threads.

    beltcutter, thanks for the info on noise comparison. I significantly reduced the noise on my DrawLoc by wrapping the stirrup with Limbsaver bow grip wrapping and a BowJax silencer made for rods slightly larger than most cable guard rods(stabilizers?). A mini S-coil also helped and string leaches also. Pretty quiet set-up with those small additions. I am not aware of the Inline coming standard with any silencing additions, so I expect I would be adding the same things to one as my DrawLoc.

    3 questions: Does anyone know what the longest draw length is on HC Inline? And the actual let-off? How does the HC warranty compare to some of the high end crossbows and bows...lifetime?

    I would be buying the lower poundage limbs too. I reallly like the option on my DrawLoc of using the cranking assist for long sighting in and tuning sessions. For hunting, the ability to be able to draw it by hand and leave the assist stuff at home just makes the hunting package that much lighter. I could not do that with any of the crossbows I am aware of.

    Thanks in advance for more info on crossbows and the Inline!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Moon, Now that HC has a scope mount for the Inline, will you be moving your scope back closer to the eye and possibly gain some advantage in low light situations? And also add the HHA Optimizer you like so well?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797

    Smile Come on Hickory Creek vertical Inline crossbow owners!!!!

    If you own one, what do like and dislike about it? How does it compare to other crossbows you've owned or shot?

    Thanks!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Troy, MO
    Posts
    6,118
    I have a strange question:

    How close does the string get to your trigger finger? Is there any risk of getting your trigger finger in the path of the string?
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Excalibur Micro

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    mtn view oklahoma
    Posts
    932
    i dont recall clint but i dont think it was very close.
    2013 MXB 320
    Hawke,BEEs/Ramcats
    2012 SZ350
    Hawke, BEEs /Ramcats

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775
    Phantom1, I played around with a rear mounted scope a bit but I like my little Zeiss Z-Point set up for 30 yards. I know exactly where to hold that dot out to 40 yards plus I shoot it wth both eyes open so I don't give up anything on close up low light shots.
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Get one you wont be sorry

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Phantom1, I played around with a rear mounted scope a bit but I like my little Zeiss Z-Point set up for 30 yards. I know exactly where to hold that dot out to 40 yards plus I shoot it wth both eyes open so I don't give up anything on close up low light shots.
    OK Moon, I can see how both eyes open would help in low shooting light, but aren't you using a different scope with an Optimizer on all your crossbows? Those pictures you posted above at the drawn position are really making that inline look cool...looks so compact and lightweight.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
    Get one you wont be sorry
    mainstreet, I am not sure the inline will give me significant improvements over the DrawLoc I have now. The DrawLoc has the same trigger and frame to hold the string back, just not quite as compact. Maybe not as fast per pound of draw weight...I'm getting 270 fps at 68# with a 400 grain arrow. Fast enough for large mechanicals to pass through whitetails.

    I think with the Inline I would have to shoot it at 125# minimum. My DrawLoc can legally hunt down to 35#, if I understand the Indiana law correctly. Still tempting just looking at the Inline though, so cool!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    To all Inline owners or Jerry Goff, I still have these questions from above:

    3 questions: Does anyone know what the longest draw length is on HC Inline? And the actual let-off? How does the HC warranty compare to some of the high end crossbows and bows...lifetime?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saucier, MS
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1 View Post
    To all Inline owners or Jerry Goff, I still have these questions from above:

    3 questions: Does anyone know what the longest draw length is on HC Inline? And the actual let-off? How does the HC warranty compare to some of the high end crossbows and bows...lifetime?
    Hi Phantom,
    The In-Line Crossbow has a standard 19 3/4 inch power stroke. The grip and the shoulder stock are somewhat adjustable to fit most all shooters. The let off is 80% and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty that covers Manufact.. defects.
    Thank you for your questions,
    Jerry
    Jerry Goff
    Hickory Creek Inc,

    www.drawloc.com

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,775
    Phantom 1, I have 5 recurve crossbows set up with the Zeiss Z-Point red dot reflex sights as I'm using on the HC Inline. Since I have it mounted in the normal scope position on the crossbows and way out front on the Inline, it shows the versatility of the Z-Point (no eye relief restriction).
    MOON

    Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Goff View Post
    Hi Phantom,
    The In-Line Crossbow has a standard 19 3/4 inch power stroke. The grip and the shoulder stock are somewhat adjustable to fit most all shooters. The let off is 80% and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty that covers Manufact.. defects.
    Thank you for your questions,
    Jerry
    Jerry, I figured it was lifetime warranty. The quality of my new Draw-Loc is on par with higher end products, so it made sense that the Inline Vertical crossbow would be of that quality. I really don't think any crossbow compares to your Inline when it comes to speed vs. poundage drawn. I am surprised other crossbow manufacturers haven't increased their power stroke and reduced their draw poundage to make them easier for disabled shooters, and women and children too. Good for you and Hickory Creek though!

    With your new crank to draw option and the already lower poundage to draw while hunting, I just can't see a reason to buy other crossbows when your upper body is disabled. The overall weight of the Inline is as low and in most cases, much lower than other crossbows.

    I really like how several companies in the outdoor and hunting business are providing lifetime warranties (Elite bows, Nikon & Burris scopes..just a few I know of and no receipt or paperwork required either) and now Hickory Creek. It makes it easier to justify buying when all you will ever need to pay for replacing will be normal wear items like strings and cables. It's more like an investment in the future of your hunting rather than buying perishable items like deer urine. You can hand it down to your kids when they get old enough to hunt and shoot or it's time to buy the newest generation of a product(Inline generation 3? What's next Jerry Goff- all carbon Inline?)

    Anyway, thanks for answering my questions! Hope it helps others on the fence about what to buy. Phantom1

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Phantom 1, I have 5 recurve crossbows set up with the Zeiss Z-Point red dot reflex sights as I'm using on the HC Inline. Since I have it mounted in the normal scope position on the crossbows and way out front on the Inline, it shows the versatility of the Z-Point (no eye relief restriction).
    Moon, Good to know. I need to find a place that carries it and have a look. Have you ever compared both scope set-ups right to the end of shooting light and even beyond the 1/2 hour after sunset? I still would think that scope closer to your eye would let you see better. I have a pretty good scope on my T/C Encore handgun and it doesn't seem like I can see as well as even less grades of scopes I have on my long guns. Of course I can only turn mine down to 2-3 power and you have 1x power and both eyes open. I do allow my other eye to open and close some at the end of legal light and it has helped, even with some magnification or also my peep on my bow. Thanks for info and for starting this thread!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saucier, MS
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1 View Post
    Jerry, I figured it was lifetime warranty. The quality of my new Draw-Loc is on par with higher end products, so it made sense that the Inline Vertical crossbow would be of that quality. I really don't think any crossbow compares to your Inline when it comes to speed vs. poundage drawn. I am surprised other crossbow manufacturers haven't increased their power stroke and reduced their draw poundage to make them easier for disabled shooters, and women and children too. Good for you and Hickory Creek though!

    With your new crank to draw option and the already lower poundage to draw while hunting, I just can't see a reason to buy other crossbows when your upper body is disabled. The overall weight of the Inline is as low and in most cases, much lower than other crossbows.

    I really like how several companies in the outdoor and hunting business are providing lifetime warranties (Elite bows, Nikon & Burris scopes..just a few I know of and no receipt or paperwork required either) and now Hickory Creek. It makes it easier to justify buying when all you will ever need to pay for replacing will be normal wear items like strings and cables. It's more like an investment in the future of your hunting rather than buying perishable items like deer urine. You can hand it down to your kids when they get old enough to hunt and shoot or it's time to buy the newest generation of a product(Inline generation 3? What's next Jerry Goff- all carbon Inline?)

    Anyway, thanks for answering my questions! Hope it helps others on the fence about what to buy. Phantom1
    Phantom,
    I would think, the big reason for not making the Crossbows power stroke longer, is it adds mass weight and length to an already heavy bulky product. Our "Vertical Crossbows" mass weight is distributed much differently making it seem lighter than it already is.
    Thanks
    Jerry Goff
    Hickory Creek Inc,

    www.drawloc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •