a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String spreader effects

String spreader effects

I just bought a used DST 40 which included a set of uninstalled Barnsdale string spreaders. I noticed that they're quite a bit wider than the OK spreaders. Presumably they increase the tension on the cables more too. I saw in another thread that someone noted that they had to remove a twist from the cables when adding spreaders to bring the cable tension back to normal.

Is there a standard approach to setting up a DST 40 with spreaders?

Without making any changes to the cables, what impact would adding the spreaders have on the bow's draw weight or any other specs? (Novice bow mechanic here.)
    Current setup: OK Archery DST 40, DS Advantage rest, Axcel ax2000 sight, True Spot scope, Gold Tip XXX Pro and VAP shafts, Carbofast stabilizers (staff shooter)
    Upshot, my archery podcast: http://www.upshot.fm/

Barnsdales spreaders are going to lengthen the draw a little and the draw weight will increase slightly. The will lengthen the draw about 1/8". If you don't like it take a twist or two out of all four cables.

I have the Barnsdale spreaders on my Accuriser and I sold the OK spreaders....
    both can work for year around shooting but I was setting up my DST-40 for long distances and competition, the spreaders would not give me what I wanted from the bow...
    basically you just play with it, take couple twists out from cables evenly until you get a best feel for yourself....no magic there, the DST is one of the friendliest bow out there for tuning....don't worry for measurements, just twist cables and string in or outward until you like the feel, you will see the endless scenarios
    this what I sad is with or without spreaders
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

I tried the OK spreaders on my 36 and found they walked too aggressively for me. My 40 arrived and I put them on it. No more walking problem. I only plan to use them for indoor as I want to shoot 4 inch

feathers. For field and target I plan to take them out. I find no difference in the bow at 20 yards indoors. Timing is still on and bow feels the same, with or without spreaders.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

here are the spreaders we talking about:

20131226_180915.jpg
    20131226_180948.jpg
    20131226_181022.jpg

The great thing about this setup, is that they are crazy adjustable. If you put the spreaders in, you can pull a half or full twist out to take up the small change the spreaders make. You probably wont even notice the changes.
    OK Archery DST40
    AlphaMax 35 - "Deer Shiner" Blue Fusion

Reaper Custom Strings

Simply tie knots as if you where tying in a nock set. Above and below on each side of widest part of OK spreader . When not using spreaders this allows for easy removal. this eliminates any walk issues you may have.The OK spreaders are designed to be the exact width of the window riser. The Barnsdales are wider and create un-necessary cable spread.

what is the length between the cables with the ok spreaders?

Quote Originally Posted by foudarme View Post
    what is the length between the cables with the ok spreaders?
    the spreaders will make the cables wide same as the riser window opening.

Quote Originally Posted by bigHUN View Post
    the spreaders will make the cables wide same as the riser window opening.
    thanks...too expensive for me, I will use the N&B trick !

Quote Originally Posted by foudarme View Post
    thanks...too expensive for me, I will use the N&B trick !
    yes, you are right....I made those as well but didn't like how they look...so ordered the OK spreaders....than didn't like how they work...sold them....and refletch my arrows with low profile vanes and way happier

I'll sell my OK spreaders for usd$60 shipped in USA, or $cad$60 shipped in Canada..
    Mark
    OK Archery DST 36, Davis Sight System and scope, CARBOFAST 28"/12" Black-X, Hamskea drop away blade, DCA Target w/pin nocks, T.R.U. Ball Absolute ST, Scott Longhorn Pro Brass, Stan Element
    Use code "Mark69" for 10% off at www.deercrossingarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by cone1 View Post
    Simply tie knots as if you where tying in a nock set. Above and below on each side of widest part of OK spreader . When not using spreaders this allows for easy removal. this eliminates any walk issues you may have.The OK spreaders are designed to be the exact width of the window riser. The Barnsdales are wider and create un-necessary cable spread.
    Thx for this tip. Was going to try just the side toward the center of the bow as that is the "walk" direction.

Now if OK would just make the spreaders slightly different widths…like 1/8" ?…so the split cables don't rub.
    Always OnTarget2!
    www.pinwheelsoftware.com
    Software For Archers (SFA)
    Tapes And Charts (TAC)
    Shaft Selector (SS)

What vanes did you use? I have tried several brands and can't get enough clearance on my DST 36

Quote Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
    What vanes did you use?
    I would also like to know what vanes DST owners are using when not using spreaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
    What vanes did you use? I have tried several brands and can't get enough clearance on my DST 36
    yes, it will be enough clearance, look harder....AAE Max 2.0 or Flexfletch FFP 220 are shieldcusts and both these are low profile, will clear any largest shafts available on the market, unless you use broomsticks

I believe the magic number for vanes and fat arrows is .360 and smaller in height

I am shooting GT 22 pros with aerovane III and get just enough clearance on my Absolute, I think. I noticed the right side (inside) cable has a touch of fuzzing on it and don't know if its from me loading the arrow or the vanes are just kissing the cable as they fly by... they certainly appear to have clearance when looking down behind the arrow at rest, but I'm wondering if the cables oscillating at the shot are just brushing the vanes.

Do the spreaders affect speed at all? I'm apprehensive to put them on and then have to change my marks since I have them finely tuned at this point. Anyone ever just serve the cables with something like .007 halo instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    I am shooting GT 22 pros with aerovane III and get just enough clearance on my Absolute, I think. I noticed the right side (inside) cable has a touch of fuzzing on it and don't know if its from me loading the arrow or the vanes are just kissing the cable as they fly by... they certainly appear to have clearance when looking down behind the arrow at rest, but I'm wondering if the cables oscillating at the shot are just brushing the vanes.

Do the spreaders affect speed at all? I'm apprehensive to put them on and then have to change my marks since I have them finely tuned at this point. Anyone ever just serve the cables with something like .007 halo instead?
    Not sure how much speed they will affect but they do affect draw length since you are in a way changing cable lengthr

Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    Not sure how much speed they will affect but they do affect draw length since you are in a way changing cable lengthr
    I did notice an ever so slight DL change, but oddly enough it changed the way the bow drew. I'm skeptical, but I swear it felt smoother. I've struggled with the arrow chattering across the blade, but now it's silky smooth. Weird, right?

I shot in my back yard and confirmed all marks are still spot on out to 45yds.

Now I feel like I have gobs of space to load the arrow. That fuzzing on the cable drives me nuts!

Found a nice little side effect... The closer you run the spreaders to the cams, the firmer the wall gets. Nice way to micro tune the back wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    Found a nice little side effect... The closer you run the spreaders to the cams, the firmer the wall gets. Nice way to micro tune the back wall.
    Carefully you don't run them too close then draw back and hit them with the cam. I'll have to mess with mine, sounds interesting.

So what would be the "better way" to go - smaller vanes or spreaders ?
    Please take note that because of the rising prices of the arrow manufacturers I can do no more warning shots !

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman2 View Post
    I've seen zero impact on accuracy from the spreaders on my field bow. The only down sides I've seen is they're ugly and a pain to get to stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman2 View Post
    Smaller vanes whenever possible. One less moving piece to the machine which means one less thing that could go wrong.

That being said?.......You can do this with the 2314's but not the 2712's so if you are looking at shooting anything with a larger diameter than the 2314 you will need spreaders.
    Proud authorized dealer for Ok Archery bows and Carbofast stabilizers.
    DST40 and DST38 (Absolute), DS Advantage Sights and Rests, Carbofast Stabilizers, Stan Just X
    "Tuning can only be relevant if you have consistent form; and if you have consistent form , tuning then becomes irrelevant." Bernie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast