a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio may raise non resident fee's

Is this the 4th year in a row that the deer take in Ohio has gone down. I started bow hunting 4 years ago and I thought the take was up around 230k-240k taken. Then it went to 220. Then to 218 and now to 190. Thats a huge drop. My numbers may be way off. Im going by what I thought I remembered seeing. I have yet to fill a tag in Ohio. Not because I havent had the chance, but I just dont want to shoot a small buck and doe have been few and far between. The last 3 years I would get a big doe up in Michigan, hunting my wifes grandparents place. But I didnt get to hunt up this year. So I guess there are some hunters who dont fill tags to offset those who do. I didnt take anything this year, but I had a lot of action. Mostly the same deer seen, but always hope one straggler will come walking by that I had not seen. Hearing the numbers going down is really discouraging to hear or read for that matter. I guess we'll see in years to come how the herd will rebound or not.

2010 Elite Z28 RT AP.

Theres another thing coming for some non residents/hunting leaser's.....Im willing to bet that the price for land hunters are leasing in 2014/2015 is gonna climb significantly.....I just got my property tax statement for our 40acre farm in the mail....It went up $250 for the year on just 40ac.....Im glad the ODNR is raising there rates.....Its still worth it, if you dont think it is, just go somewhere else. Its just that simple.
    Blacked Out Mathews Chill 28/70 .....HHA DSXL5519, QAD HDX, KTech 5 twin, T3 Quiver, Gold Tip XT 75/95's and Rage Chisel Broadheads

I will come to hunt Ohio if they raise the non-res prices. I think the increase of non-res fee may keep some of the out of staters from coming but for the most part it will not.

Ohio is 35th in the way of pricing for non resident fees. I would be very curious where the state of Ohio stands in the way of resident fees. If Ohio took a 90% increase in license sales across the board, for resident and non-resident, I think then the DNR would have the funds they are searching for.

Resident license fees in Ohio is laughable. I think if I were a resident in the state of Ohio I would be happy to have the non resident license sales carry the bulk of the weight. 19.00 for resident license, and 24.00 for an either sex tag. Heck, I know the non residents have it good coming to Ohio and hunting cheap (especially for the amount of public land available) But, in the same token.... resident license fees are a joke!

Another "if I were an Ohio resident" scenario...... I would not like have non resident guys leasing up all the private farms, and crowding the public lands... but it is happening in every state. The blame for that cannot lie on the non resident hunters, because every farmer I have talked to in Ohio about hunting his place is leased by locals!

Hey, it is what it is, and *****ing and complaining about it on an online hunting forum isn't going to change anything for you, go to a commission meeting and make your voices heard. Start petitions, demand your local representatives stand with you and if not, vote them out.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyaspike View Post
    Theres another thing coming for some non residents/hunting leaser's.....Im willing to bet that the price for land hunters are leasing in 2014/2015 is gonna climb significantly.....I just got my property tax statement for our 40acre farm in the mail....It went up $250 for the year on just 40ac.....Im glad the ODNR is raising there rates.....Its still worth it, if you dont think it is, just go somewhere else. Its just that simple.
    Ya,,, the taxes basically doubled in one year.

Well instead of holding out for a mature buck I'll just have to make sure I fill my tags to get my money's worth if they raise it that much. Eating a $150 tag is not so bad, not going to eat a $255 tag, even if that means just killing a 2.5 yr 8 point that I would normally let pass. I've spent a lot of money on unfilled tags from passing deer in the past in Ohio, not going to do that at $255.

Ohio hunting has been going down hill for about 4 or 5 years. Why someone thinks it's a good idea to charge more for a lesser quality product is beyond me but we will adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by backstraps01 View Post
    I will come to hunt Ohio if they raise the non-res prices. I think the increase of non-res fee may keep some of the out of staters from coming but for the most part it will not.

Ohio is 35th in the way of pricing for non resident fees. I would be very curious where the state of Ohio stands in the way of resident fees. If Ohio took a 90% increase in license sales across the board, for resident and non-resident, I think then the DNR would have the funds they are searching for.

Resident license fees in Ohio is laughable. I think if I were a resident in the state of Ohio I would be happy to have the non resident license sales carry the bulk of the weight. 19.00 for resident license, and 24.00 for an either sex tag. Heck, I know the non residents have it good coming to Ohio and hunting cheap (especially for the amount of public land available) But, in the same token.... resident license fees are a joke!

Another "if I were an Ohio resident" scenario...... I would not like have non resident guys leasing up all the private farms, and crowding the public lands... but it is happening in every state. The blame for that cannot lie on the non resident hunters, because every farmer I have talked to in Ohio about hunting his place is leased by locals!

Hey, it is what it is, and *****ing and complaining about it on an online hunting forum isn't going to change anything for you, go to a commission meeting and make your voices heard. Start petitions, demand your local representatives stand with you and if not, vote them out.
    You obviously didn't do any research before spewing about the cost of resident tags. From what I've seen they are comparable to most states and more expensive than a lot. And as far as getting our voice heard , that's likely what caused the proposal for raising nonresident licenses. If the proposal goes through it puts ohio fees more in line with other big buck states. MORE in line. Still cheaper than most.

Quote Originally Posted by scottiwad4 View Post
    Bumping the cost up to $255 isn't going to keep nonresidents from coming. Hell , that's still lower than most other big buck states. And I realize that you want to believe that none of the nonresident hunters affect the herd , but you're wrong. I know of a group that comes every year from Maine during gun season. Each one buys every legal tag they can for the county they're hunting. So 3 tags each for the 12 of them. They fill every one of them that they can. In their best year they killed 32. Typically it's around 20. Now that they've ruined the population there , like locusts , they are looking to move on to the next place to start over and do it there. I know this is an isolated issue , but don't think for a second this is the only non resident group that does this. One guy on here even posted how awful his season was until he came to hunt in ohio. He shot four deer in a week.
    While I agree that's way too many deer to shoot JMO......isn't that the fault of your own Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife who keep giving out way too many doe tags just like NY,Pa,In,NJ,In?.Those are the only states I've hunted in so I know there are more but I'm only speaking from my personal experiences.
    117 Whitetails to 160" and counting.

To late now far as keeping them out. Too many got in on the cheap and are hooked.

If the Ohio DNR wants the deer herd to go down, dont you think raising the prices on out of state license is stupid. If some out of stater's dont buy tags and dont hunt, thats less deer getting killed. Duh less hunters means less kills equals deer population going back up. Its common sense I guess the Ohio DNR has no common sense. LOL. JMO and it is not worth anything
    Mathews ZXT
    Maximum Hunter 250
    Rage Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerNYS View Post
    While I agree that's way too many deer to shoot JMO......isn't that the fault of your own Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife who keep giving out way too many doe tags just like NY,Pa,In,NJ,In?.Those are the only states I've hunted in so I know there are more but I'm only speaking from my personal experiences.
    Just really using that example to prove a point to the ones that say nonresidents have no impact on the herd. Ultimately it's up to hunters to show restraint in areas that need it. Dnr can only set limits based on a wide spectrum. By county in ohio. In two of the three counties I hunt you can see fields full of deer in one area , then 10 miles down the road you can sit for days without seeing anything. The overall bag limit for the counties are probably about right. The dispersal of the deer are just way off.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSSMAN2 View Post
    If the Ohio DNR wants the deer herd to go down, dont you think raising the prices on out of state license is stupid. If some out of stater's dont buy tags and dont hunt, thats less deer getting killed. Duh less hunters means less kills equals deer population going back up. Its common sense I guess the Ohio DNR has no common sense. LOL. JMO and it is not worth anything
    The amount they are talking about isn't going to price many people out of coming here. They've been open about their intent of lowering the numbers for years. Now I believe they are saying the intent is to maintain. This year they lowered the overall bag limit , and lowered the amount of reduced priced antlerless tags to one per county.

While I hate to see the price of anything go up, I think its in-line with other states, Like stated earlier, I think a ,charge what the state the non-resident is coming from charges, would be a fair way to do it, maybe it would bring there prices down ?

Quote Originally Posted by ROSSMAN2 View Post
    Do a little research and you'll find N/R harvest is around 5% of your deer. Lets say you dissuade 20% of NRs from not returning due to cost, now you have reduced harvest a whopping 1%!!!!

If you think this will fix the deer population decline you are mistaken, you need to be pointing fingers at your residents and DNRs ridiculous doe tag numbers.

Raising prices $100 bucks will not do anything and I'll gladly pay it. I already spend well over 3k a year between leases, gas and hotel bills to hunt Ohio. People spend 1000s each year to hunt deer and $255 is still cheap when it comes to N/R license.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgargasz View Post
    Now if they could control the slob residents they might be on to something.
    I have been a nonresident hunter/land owner in Ohio for more than 20 years. Back when things were good, the slob residents as you like to call them were only a mild problem compared to the massive influx of out of state hunters now trying to live the dream. Ohio has some issues now that jacking fees isn't going to solve.

Just really using that example to prove a point to the ones that say nonresidents have no impact on the herd. Ultimately it's up to hunters to show restraint in areas that need it. Dnr can only set limits based on a wide spectrum. By county in ohio. In two of the three counties I hunt you can see fields full of deer in one area , then 10 miles down the road you can sit for days without seeing anything. The overall bag limit for the counties are probably about right. The dispersal of the deer are just way off.
    '
    '
    Understood but I think in today's world most guys shoot as many deer as they can for bragging rights.In most areas besides some urban areas that not whats best for the deer herd.Why not take that out of the equation?
    Most will argue that public land has much fewer deer than private land(I agree) but then why not have different doe limits for state and private land.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that making decisions in very broad areas isn't working.They are basing their decisions on MONEY and not the deer herd.
    This goes for all the states I've hunted in not just Ohio.
    On my two leases (Oh and Ky) I shot 1 buck from each and 1 doe from Ohio because one of the bucks taken had an infection threw most of it's body. I could legally have shot 8 I think.Why? Because I've taken more than my share of deer in the last 30 years and the leases aren't over run with deer like NY and Pa were back in the early 90's.
    Bottom line is our states are broke and our deer herds are their answer.
    Rant over !

Ohio may raise non resident fee's

Bumping the cost up to $255 isn't going to keep nonresidents from coming. Hell , that's still lower than most other big buck states. And I realize that you want to believe that none of the nonresident hunters affect the herd , but you're wrong. I know of a group that comes every year from Maine during gun season. Each one buys every legal tag they can for the county they're hunting. So 3 tags each for the 12 of them. They fill every one of them that they can. In their best year they killed 32. Typically it's around 20. Now that they've ruined the population there , like locusts , they are looking to move on to the next place to start over and do it there. I know this is an isolated issue , but don't think for a second this is the only non resident group that does this. One guy on here even posted how awful his season was until he came to hunt in ohio. He shot four deer in a week.
    You'd be wrong. It'll keep me from coming to Ohio. Non residents shoot less than 5% of your deer harvest and makes up less than 15% of your hunting population, but by all means believe what you want.
    Proud Shooter of Breathn Built bows
    John's Custom Archery Killing Staff
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

Quote Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
    i think reciprocal fees are the best plan.
    I agree and reciprocal bag limits. I want 3 of your bucks. If I'm paying the same I'm killing the same amount of deer. Let's do this!!!
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

I'm game on the increase. I'm from North Carolina been to Ohio twice. Tag soup both times. Really enjoyed hunting there and the people I have met are really nice unlike Kansas. Hope to kill a good one there someday good lord willing. Raise the prices if will help out the dnr

I'm ok with it. Hunted Ohio this past season for the first time an had a blast! Past on several deer. I love to hunt, Ill pay whatever it takes to continue to do so...

I have been hunting Ohio for 6 years. I've shot 3 bucks, and 3 does and 1 turkey in that time. If the fees are increased I agree and I will still go there to deer hunt. I will also not want to eat my tag if the cost is high.
    2013 Elite Pure 70lb Black Riser/ Max 1 Limbs
    2012 Elite Pure 70lb Black Riser/ Black AP Limbs
    CBE Tek Hybrid 5 pin sight, Scott Backspin, Exxus Core, Silverhorn Releases
    Silver Flames, Solids, DRT's, Deep six, Easton Axis 300's, DCA Hunters 300

Quote Originally Posted by whack&stack View Post
    You'd be wrong. It'll keep me from coming to Ohio. Non residents shoot less than 5% of your deer harvest and makes up less than 15% of your hunting population, but by all means believe what you want.
    So don't come. Nobody will notice because plenty of others will. You are the first one on this thread to say a raise in price would stop you from coming.

I don't care where you go the residents want to blame the outsiders for driving the deer numbers down. How do you blame the nr who comes for a week or two when the residents hunt for months. The answer is to reduce the kill. Restrict non-residents to 1 deer, but also restrict residents to something more appropriate. Unlimited tags for doe is crazy. If hunters cant police themselves do it through tag restrictions. I remember the days in Ia. when it was 1 buck, no doe and they drew for the tags.

Quote Originally Posted by buckstop515 View Post
    I don't care where you go the residents want to blame the outsiders for driving the deer numbers down. How do you blame the nr who comes for a week or two when the residents hunt for months. The answer is to reduce the kill. Restrict non-residents to 1 deer, but also restrict residents to something more appropriate. Unlimited tags for doe is crazy. If hunters cant police themselves do it through tag restrictions. I remember the days in Ia. when it was 1 buck, no doe and they drew for the tags.
    I don't blame the NR hunters for the overall lower numbers. That was planned by the DNR. They openly stated that. There was never unlimited doe tags. The doe limits were definitely liberal. They lowered the limits this season with a new goal of maintaining the population

So don't come. Nobody will notice because plenty of others will. You are the first one on this thread to say a raise in price would stop you from coming.
    That's fine. I'm sure I'll be in the minority. The facts of how many NR and how many deer they kill remains unchanged.
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

I don't blame the NR hunters for the overall lower numbers. That was planned by the DNR. They openly stated that. There was never unlimited doe tags. The doe limits were definitely liberal. They lowered the limits this season with a new goal of maintaining the population
    They lowered them? That's new news to me. They lowered them per county but increased them over all if you hunt multiple counties and created an early either sex season. If you're trying to maintain the population why introduce an either sex only season?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast