a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Competition Target Crossbow

Competition Target Crossbow

Are people who shoot this handicapped? Do you use a crank to cock the bow? Are the time limits the same as for a regular bow? My hubby has gone through radiation and chemotherapy for cancer and he can no longer shoot his target bow. He has a crossbow for hunting and was wondering about shooting a crossbow for target so he can go to competitions with me. I talked to some people at nationals last year so I realize the dw is around 95?lbs and they looked like all recurve bows. Other than that I just noticed they were pretty and they had scopes lol!

I was at the Nationals shooting crossbow last year so you may have talked to me. You do not have to be handicapped to shoot a crossbow. You may use recurve or compound limbs as long as the peak draw weight is 95# or less. No scopes or any type of lens are allowed in the crossbow class. The arrow size is limited to 21/64 maximum shaft size. Time limits are the same as other classes and a hand held rope cocking aid is allowed. I'm not sure about a crank but if you were able to complete the 5 arrows in the allotted time I think that it would be ok. Please let me know if you more questions. Gary
    Custom Target Crossbows Stryker 350 Hoyt Pro elite - Kenny Johnston Strings--______________________________ ____________
    Not many Archers make their living shooting..
    Shoot your bow because you love the sport..
    Go to work so you can buy more stuff..

at some nationals (like IBO tournaments) scoped crossbows are allowed. The NFAA and USArchery indoors follow the IAU/WCSA rules which means no magnification. Sadly, target crossbows are hard to find and expensive. Even the basic AUSBOW Tyro II is going to cost over 1600 new. The Excalibur APEX is about the only commercially available target bow in the USA and it requires lots of work to make it competitive since its hard to fit a real sight on the front of the bow (Hey Excalibur-now that bow tech bought you how about making a simple bracket that is drilled for say a sure loc sight)

there are handmade trackless bows available if one looks hard enough.

the main issue is a good trigger-my recent AUSBOW's trigger failed twice-fortunately I had a spare.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

Excallibur Apex is about 499.00 retail but you should get the mods for sight. Look up Bill Pimm. He will hook you up with what you need. Out of the box this bow will clean shoot 300 on NFAA target no problem. A llittle work with sights and trigger and it will clean it.

You should look Into KodaBow. It's a recurve limb design crossbow made in West Chester Pa. These are not only for hunting but increasing in popularity even over seas for competition shooting. Furthermore the guys using them are winning! I could write a lot here about why you should consider KodaBow , but I reccomeded you visit the web site, www.kodabow.com , there is a you tube channel with multiple videos. I also reccomeded giving them a call and speak with Chuck Matasic. Chuck will be able to answer any question you have regarding how you want this crossbow setup. Please consider checking KodaBow out , you will not be disappointed. Let me know how you make out! This bow is built to give you a lifetime of success and that's no joke!

At the Vegas Shoot this past weekend, there were a handful of target crossbows being shot. I'd never seen one before (not up close anyway) and had to take a photo!

They have the same time limit as the rest of us. Sorry I didn't get to see them shoot, so don't know how it went. Three arrows in 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-prez View Post
    At the Vegas Shoot this past weekend, there were a handful of target crossbows being shot. I'd never seen one before (not up close anyway) and had to take a photo!

They have the same time limit as the rest of us. Sorry I didn't get to see them shoot, so don't know how it went. Three arrows in 2 minutes.
    Bill Pimm won
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

Quote Originally Posted by KodaHunter0721 View Post
    You should look Into KodaBow. It's a recurve limb design crossbow made in West Chester Pa. These are not only for hunting but increasing in popularity even over seas for competition shooting. Furthermore the guys using them are winning! I could write a lot here about why you should consider KodaBow , but I reccomeded you visit the web site, www.kodabow.com , there is a you tube channel with multiple videos. I also reccomeded giving them a call and speak with Chuck Matasic. Chuck will be able to answer any question you have regarding how you want this crossbow setup. Please consider checking KodaBow out , you will not be disappointed. Let me know how you make out! This bow is built to give you a lifetime of success and that's no joke!
    unless the bow is <95 pounds it won't be legal for NFAA/ USA/ or IAU field competitions (target). WCSA has a hunting or sporting bow division though where this would be legal

Not legal at VEGAS or at the USA indoor nationals
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

Competition Crossbow.jpg

Competition Crossbow 3.jpg

Here are photos of two of the crossbows I saw at Vegas this year. They used a golf cart to transport them.

Actually, two pictures of the same bow, from different angles.

http://www.worldcrossbow.com/index.html
    Check out this site , first picture on main page , the guy in blue is shooting a KodaBow!

Quote Originally Posted by wa-prez View Post
    Competition Crossbow.jpg

Competition Crossbow 3.jpg

Here are photos of two of the crossbows I saw at Vegas this year. They used a golf cart to transport them.

Actually, two pictures of the same bow, from different angles.
    that looks like a Pennypacker built Crossbow
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

Quote Originally Posted by KodaHunter0721 View Post
    http://www.worldcrossbow.com/index.html
    Check out this site , first picture on main page , the guy in blue is shooting a KodaBow!
    yes, those are legal in the spot division

for US competitions such as VEGAS-NFAA nationals and US Archery tournaments, they are not
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

xbow.jpg

This is one of my target bows
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

Hi All it"s Been a while I see some one is interested in target crossbow . Call on Bill Pimm he buys / sells new / used crossbows Also ask about CHIT-CHAT Crossbow Magazine it has some bows there for sale . AND a lot of info / shoot dates / clubs / contact info TERRY X
    TRADITION IS THE ENEMY OF INNOVATION

Quote Originally Posted by terry x View Post
    Hi All it"s Been a while I see some one is interested in target crossbow . Call on Bill Pimm he buys / sells new / used crossbows Also ask about CHIT-CHAT Crossbow Magazine it has some bows there for sale . AND a lot of info / shoot dates / clubs / contact info TERRY X
    Good advice, I have bought several AUSBOWS through Bill including the one in post 13-that was Bill's main bow until he bought one of the adjustable track jobs
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

The NFAA needs to look at the rules for crossbows and change them slightly or start another class. A Manufactures stock out of the box? if they do this other maufactures can get on board and watch the sport grow. Simple. Mission makes a MXB 320 that you can dial down to 100# of draw. I suggest start a new "class"? I think it would work. More people would get involved and when that happens everyone makes more money. Including NFAA.

true enough-that's one of ht reasons why the WCSA was founded to promote Stock or sport bows.

now that bow tech has bought Excalibur, maybe they can do what GLOCK has done with the GLOCK SHOOTING SPORT FOUNDATION. easily accessible target events held at local indoor ranges and outdoor gun clubs using GLOCK pistols. APEX crossbows are relatively inexpensive, easy to set up, fun to shoot an are target legal already.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

I have a hand made cross bow about 90 years old that I completely refurbished and need 50 pound draw weight limbs 17 to 19 inches per limb length, either straight or recurve. I purchased this cross bow from a husband & wife who were international champions back before 1970 and it is one beautiful bow. I actually purchased both of their crossbows and gave her crossbow to the crossbow association in our state. Do you know where I can purchase limbs? It has 60 pound draw weight limbs, which I cannot pull back far enough to load. My archery shooting days are coming to an end, since I had shoulder replacement in February.
    Broken Arrow 79
    Last edited by broken arrow 79; August 8th, 2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add more information

In NFAA crossbow competition, you are only allowed to load by hand or with a rope assist. No cranks allowed.

Why not just let crossbows punch paper at 100 yards(oh anything to really push modern crossbows to their limits), no limits on the bow, there, the 3d bow guys aint gota be scared anymore lol. ill do 3d compound bow only because gainesville ga has no crossbow action from all my research. how i would love me some crossbow tournaments with stock hunting crossbows.

does anyone know where crossbow limbs can be purchased?
    I need 45lb draw weight recurve crossbow limbs, 1/3/4 - 2 inches at attachment point on bow and each limb would be 15 - 16 inches in length

Since I am unable to find 45 or 50 lb. draw weight crossbow limbs for my target crossbow, I will see how good I am at making them myself, so the next couple of weeks will be quite an experience, but it may take longer to do them.

Great, got another Stauffer target crossbow with 48 draw weight limbs so I can learn how to shoot crossbow, while my other crossbow is being worked on by Odrun.