Thread: Target archery

Target archery

SO id like some help on how to become a better target archer!! I have been a fairly sucsessfull bowhunter my entire life and as of the past two years enjoy shooting paper spot league and archery crickett.The problem i have is im not very precise and can only afford 1 bow so im doin it all with what i use for hunting except,I use target arrows and a longer stab. Any tips and pointers be great it seems like most of my issues are punching the trigger and my vision is not the best i cant really hone in on the x very well.Thanks in advance

Spend a year committed to learning how to shoot a hinge release correctly.

2012 Vantage Elite +, B Stinger, Copper John, Gold Tip, TRU Ball

Most of the target bows are the same as hunting bows with a fancy paint job. Check the classified here and find a good deal on a target site. Then you can hone in on those X's. As said above, a good release want hurt either. In the summer, put the target site on, and when hunting season comes along, change back to the hunting site. Everything should be the same.
    Larry

Merlin Super Nova,Carter Chocolate Addiction,Sure-loc site,Schrewd scope,and Doinker stab.

I can tell you from experience what doesn't work. Trying to buy scores by spending money on expensive equipment, most of all the bow. Maybe spending some money on a competent coach????
    Treat Lowballers like Terrorists -
    DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH EITHER!

I've learned a lot in the last month. I'm using my 3D bow for archery and I know a target bow would be a better choice but I'm limited in budget as well. I just started using a verifier a few weeks ago. It clears the pin up very well. The X(target) is still blurry but you just have to center it. Just got loner target arrows from a friend Monday night and was amazed at what a difference they made. Been using vbars along with the front stab to fine tune the balance. The other thing that's working is training on the mental game. Staying in the shot(follow through). 1 shot at a time. I shoot a lot at 4 or 5 yards to work on form and repeatability. Shot a 298 44x Mon night. Wanted a 300 as we all do but was pretty happy with my highest x count ever. As far as punching the trigger obviously you need to break that habit(I know I'm captain obvious). I had that problem as well, in 3d . Solved it by going to a hinge. I've also had a ton of help from the owner and the guys at the local shop, don't be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLurker View Post
    I can tell you from experience what doesn't work. Trying to buy scores by spending money on expensive equipment, most of all the bow. Maybe spending some money on a competent coach????
    This^^^^

Target archery is all about consistency. You'll save yourself a lot of time by learning the right way to do it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.Gonseth View Post
    Spend a year committed to learning how to shoot a hinge release correctly.
    Spend a month and 1,600 arrows (400 per week) and you will be a better shot in no time. People said your scores will go down first, but that wasn't really the case for me when learning a hinge.
    Elite GT500 70lbs 28.5"~Sword Twilight Hunter 4 pin (hunting)~CBE Quadlite 3d(3d, target, field) ~Doinker Unity ~DCA Target (3d)~DCA Hunter (hunting)~Slick Trick 100grn standards

Quote Originally Posted by chasemukluk View Post
    Spend a month and 1,600 arrows (400 per week) and you will be a better shot in no time. People said your scores will go down first, but that wasn't really the case for me when learning a hinge.
    Agreed, I actually saw immediate improvement in my scores. Couldnt break that 296 vegas for a long time, switched to the hinge and I am consistently 298+ average with higher x counts than ever before, right around 25 usually
    Bowtech - Prime - Quest - Bear - Vaportrail - CBE - Sure Loc - Bee Stinger - SKY Archery

Spend a lot of time shooting that bow. if you're really interested in target archery and want to get into it you will want an open setup. Now anyone can shoot a hunting rig well or a target rig well. Its the shooter not the bow. Find a local target archer and follow them around, learn the tricks and trades, learn the setups. A lot more than a fancy sight and long stabs go into this game if you're going to get serious. Don't let anyone tell you, that you can't shoot well with the setup you have now. I see many guys with "outdated" or hunting setups that outshoot the high-end setups everytime. Find what works for YOU not someone else. I still shoot a index finger release, no im not the most experienced or best shot ever, but it works for ME and that's what im comfortable with and shoot well. Best way to become a better archer, practice consistency and practice consistency often. Its an addictive game and I wish the best of luck to you! Keep us updated on how it goes!
    Bowtech. Easton. Scott. Sure-loc. B-Stinger. Quality Archery Designs.
    Perfect practice makes perfect. Anything worth doing in life is worth over doing.
    The Arrow Shop, Bartlesville OK.

Thanks for all the tips will be putting more arrows down range will update soon !!

All good advice on here. I would suggest working with your bow and tuning to get it to be the most forgiving for you that it can be, and also making sure the bow draw length(primary draw length) and your d loop length (secondary draw length) is both correct for you to get aligned the best way possible. Getting a hinge would probably help with punching a release. That's a mental thing and with a hinge if you build up good fundamentals with it you can start carrying that over to a trigger if you decided to go back to one.
    http://rcrchery.wordpress.com/
    A one stop area for common topics about form, shot execution, practice, bow set up, and much more.

Once again... There are a lot of assumptions going on here....

When you say "target" what exactly are you talking about?

Recommendations for a 3D bow and a spot bow could, and probably will, be VERY different.
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.