a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO Barnetts actually suck!!!

DO Barnetts actually suck!!!

Ive got one locally for sale the preadator for $400, but im told dont buy a barnett. Is it a matter of preference or are they acutally not good?

ive owned 3 and soon 4 barnetts with zero issues with them, they had some issues from 2009-2011 but they seem to have corrected and tweaked everything, and the customer service is great...i would buy a barnett raptor or barnett recruit compound for your first crossbow..or wildcat
    Greatree Highlander recurve
    Browning Ted Nugent Bloodbrother bow

I had the same impression when looking for a bow last season but took the gamble on the BCX Extreme on a killer deal and I couldnt be happier!!! I think there's a stigma about them cause they used to be a lower quality value brand but they've stepped it up in my opinion. l also had purchased a pk of Barnett branded Easton Headhunter bolts and 1 was damaged, I emailed cust. serv. at Barnett and they shipped me out 2 new bolts no questions asked. Awesome service!!! I cant speak for the predator but the BCX Extreme is awesome.

I've owned a couple of them. I had no issues. I wouldn't buy one however that didn't have an aluminum flight rail.
    2014 Bear Agenda 6

Yes buy a 2014 model, my quad 400 has the aluminum flight Rail

Quote Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
    ive owned 3 and soon 4 barnetts with zero issues with them, they had some issues from 2009-2011 but they seem to have corrected and tweaked everything, and the customer service is great...i would buy a barnett raptor or barnett recruit compound for your first crossbow..or wildcat
    Why the raptor or recruit as my first crossbow?

It's more compact, light, a lot more narrow at the limbs, great speed, updated and new technology and trigger and aluminum rail, the predator has older mechanics

It's more compact, light, a lot more narrow at the limbs, great speed, updated and new technology and trigger and aluminum rail, the predator has older mechanics
    Does it have the speed to take down a deer or hog?

Yeah recruit compound gets 300-310 fps And the raptor gets 330-340 fps, more than enough to kill any big fans in North America

yeah I agree Barnett is still trying to get over a bad reputation from when their bows were bigger and crappier.

I think as long as you take care of em...it will be fine. If you want a bow to beat to death....get an excal

I haven't handled all of them but out of the ones I have handled I like the BCXtreme, Ghost385, Ghost410. I'm not a fan of the Wildcat, Jackel, or Predator(Penetrator?).

For the price the Recruit seems fine. Kinda cheapy to me and I wouldn't want it. But again.....it's only $300 so what do you expect?

I haven't handled the Raptor yet but I hear good things.
    Xpedition Xcentric | Athens Exceed 300 | Trinity Archery Field Staff | Excalibur Micro

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRhodes View Post
    yeah I agree Barnett is still trying to get over a bad reputation from when their bows were bigger and crappier.

I think as long as you take care of em...it will be fine. If you want a bow to beat to death....get an excal

I haven't handled all of them but out of the ones I have handled I like the BCXtreme, Ghost385, Ghost410. I'm not a fan of the Wildcat, Jackel, or Predator(Penetrator?).

For the price the Recruit seems fine. Kinda cheapy to me and I wouldn't want it. But again.....it's only $300 so what do you expect?

I haven't handled the Raptor yet but I hear good things.
    Yea I think I might as well not buy a predator.

i shoot a ghost 410. bought it back i December. it has an aluminum shot rail. I have had no issues with it. Killed 4 deer with it in temps down in the single digits. performed perfectly. In fact I know it will slap sticks at 100 yards. very tight groups. Its light weight as well.

The Raptor has an aluminum rail?

Bandman72

The raptor is a great bow that's all you need to know bandman

Completely honest.........

In the past let's say 2 years.... I am shocked at the amount of problems I have seen brought into my shop with Barnett. Limbs, 2 for sure cracked parts (above safety,etc), string issues, etc. Only Horton would come close overall... mainly with limbs damaged. All the more affordable models that I have seen anyway.... Predator, Quad, etc.

Just going by what came through my door. I always say that almost any XB that is working correctly will shoot accurate.
    Mathews Z9 (No Cam HTR ordered) - HHA Slider - Trophy Taker Pronghorn Pro - B-Stinger Stabilizer - Tru-Fire Edge - Grim Reaper Fatal Steel 125 - Gold Tip Kinetic XT - Trueflight Feathers (Always)... _ 2 kills with Mission Dagger XB - Gold Tip Laser 3 - HHA Optimizer XB scope & adjustable mount system_ ___ - _____ Facebook: Hunters Choice Archery Pro Shop

I had a few guys in stores tell me not to buy Barnett. They said they worked on them more than any other brand. But they always tried to steer me to a more expensive XBow everytime too. I got a Barnett Vengeance. It's a beast and I love it. Not to say I wont have trouble down the road but, if I do, I will deal with it then.

Certain bows in the past few years had a lot of problems. Their newer stuff seems to be pretty good but I'd personally stay away from the Ghost 410. It seems that the engineering hasn't quite caught up to the speed of some of their bows. I've seen several problems with that bow recently but most of the others are doing well. I work for a shop that sells high volumes of crossbows so we see which bows have consistent problems. I'd also stay away from the Jackal even if you're offered a good price on one. Those are junk IMO and had several splinter the limbs on the first draw/shot out of the box.

They have good customer service and I've seen them warranty stuff well after the 5 years that their warranty is good for. IMO, they do better in the 330-350fps range. Seems like when they try to push the speed further than that, the bows don't hold up well.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    Bear Motive 6
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

Had a predator, sent it back twice in the first two months, sold it and the guy just resold it with no problems. Guess I got em fixed for him, if you have to buy this brand id stick with the newer slower models for sure, though the jackel is one I don't hear to much about negatively speaking. Sounds like they have there act together, but it isn't a sales pitch by most clerks, a lot of places wont sell them because they break down so easy. Best advice you need, shoulder every bow you can get your hands on in your price range and research them on these forums, you always get good and bad, but most of us aint trying to sell you nothing.

I have a jackal, a predator, and now ghost 410.The only problems I've had is the string on the ghost 410 other than that they are real good if you take care of them all have been shot hundred times

Yes, they actually suck. I bought a Recruit Recurve. It came with gouge marks on the prod/limb. This was not a returned item as I originally asked the seller and they denied. I contacted the place I got it from and they were more than happy to contact Barnett for me as the manufacturer said to me they would replace it after I sent it back and paid for the shipping on the new one, to Canada. So Barnett wanted me to pay for around 45-50 in shipping. The distributor ended up eating the cost for the limb and convinced Barnett after three weeks to send them a limb to them instead and they would forward to me, which they did. Barnett was unwilling to send it directly to me. The new limb looks like a MK-150 completely unmarked (just black, there is some scratches on the rubber coating) and the end caps Barnett tried to install do not fit it. I understand some will say it is only a $200 crossbow in the US. Here it is at least $240 before the 13% tax and shipping, $270 may be cheap for a crossbow but it still is not a small amount to the common man. I am hoping the distributor will take it back, will never buy another Barnett. Customer service Rep for Barnett was Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by branger View Post
    Yes, they actually suck. I bought a Recruit Recurve. It came with gouge marks on the prod/limb. This was not a returned item as I originally asked the seller and they denied. I contacted the place I got it from and they were more than happy to contact Barnett for me as the manufacturer said to me they would replace it after I sent it back and paid for the shipping on the new one, to Canada. So Barnett wanted me to pay for around 45-50 in shipping. The distributor ended up eating the cost for the limb and convinced Barnett after three weeks to send them a limb to them instead and they would forward to me, which they did. Barnett was unwilling to send it directly to me. The new limb looks like a MK-150 completely unmarked (just black, there is some scratches on the rubber coating) and the end caps Barnett tried to install do not fit it. I understand some will say it is only a $200 crossbow in the US. Here it is at least $240 before the 13% tax and shipping, $270 may be cheap for a crossbow but it still is not a small amount to the common man. I am hoping the distributor will take it back, will never buy another Barnett. Customer service Rep for Barnett was Anna.

you bought the low end of barnett, should have bought the raptor, jackal, recruit compound for a little bit extra and you would have a different opinion on barnett

My opinion is based on Barnett not just the crossbow. They did not want to make it right with me. Gave a hard time to the distributor trying on my behalf after I tried to deal with them directly. Sure the low end of their, or any companies crossbows are not going to be the same as the higher end. It still was not a $50 dollar item in a bargain bin. Barnett answers emails the same day, picks up the phone when you call; however good customer service is not only a fast response it is an appropriate response.

you bought the low end of barnett, should have bought the raptor, jackal, recruit compound for a little bit extra and you would have a different opinion on barnett
    Customer service "should be" blind to the model you purchase. From the beginners to the top of the line it should be the same. If the model has their name on it they should support it!

One of my friends bought a Barnett Recruit and had the string snap while cocking it. Bow had less than 200 shots through it and string snapped somewhere along the right cam (I think that's what they're called on a crossbow). He took it back and got a new one and hasn't had a problem since. I guess it's just hit or miss with them.

I would of been the first to tell anyone to stay away from the barnett from experance from years ago; bulky, heavy, horrid trigger, cheap looking , ect.

Now!! I'll tell anyone not to over look the barnett. The higher end models that is, can't speak of the cheap ones but hell what would one expect , cheap is cheap . Any manufacture Xbow on the low end is basically junk.

I just purchased the 2014 barnett BCX and totally impressed with the unit. The bow is stupid fast, quietest Xbow iv ever shot hands down, accuracy is simply amazing ,rail, limb and riser engineering is awesome , light and compact and the trigger and safety is absolutely perfect. I don't like the material the for arm is made of, but damn I'll get over that.

I had my gal out shooting long range today on turkey targets at 50 yards and she was just drilling headshot( keep in mind this was her first time shooting a Xbow ). I can shoot 2" groups at 60 yards with it, haven't tested the waters on 70-80 yards yet but plan to. With out a doubt this bow could get a pass through at 60-80 yards. The penetration at 50 yards is more then 175# ten point and a 150# parker safari magnum gets at 10 yards.

Iv owned many and still do. Being totally honest the BCX is the best Xbow iv ever shot hands down.
    K&K Vindicator- 80#/32" Axcell PRO HD HS/Tight spot/AAE Pro drop/SS1/GoldTip Biggame 100- 490g@320FPS W/110#KE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast