Thread: MASSACHUSETTS Deer harvest totals

MASSACHUSETTS Deer harvest totals

From outdoor writer Mark Folco's Open Season column in our local paper...

" MassWildlife reported this week that the preliminary deer harvest total for 2013 was 11,413 animals (excluding the Quabbin hunt and any data not yet received). Although preliminary, this figure is up four percent from last year’s total harvest. The archery season harvest of 4,474 was up 15 percent from last year, the shotgun season harvest of 4,625 was down seven percent from last year, and the primitive season harvest of 2,314 is up 11 percent from last year.
    Zone 11, which is mostly Southeastern Mass., had the highest total again this year with 2,662 deer taken. Of that total, 1,154 were taken during archery season, 990 were taken during shotgun season and 518 were taken during muzzleloader season. The shotgun and muzzleloader totals were also the highest in the state with the archery season harvest coming in second to Zone 10, which had 1,167 deer taken during that season.
    MassWildlife reports that the preliminary harvest data for Zones 1-5 shows a decrease in female harvest and a corresponding increase in adult male harvest, indicating that deer densities in these zones are increasing toward management goals. Deer densities in Zones 6-9 appear to be within goals. Densities in Zones 10 and 11 are still above goal, but more towns are increasing access to lands for hunting, which is one of the most important parts of managing deer in a suburban setting. Deer densities on Martha’s Vineyard (Zone 13) and Nantucket (Zone 14) remain significantly above goals, but preliminary results from this year’s harvest show an increase in the female harvest that is critical to reduce deer densities.
    Online reporting/game checking was available during deer season for the first time during the 2013 archery and primitive arms seasons (hunters must still report harvested deer at a check station during shotgun season to facilitate collection of biological data) and over 70 percent of the deer taken during those seasons were reported by hunters through the MassFishHunt system.
    The MassWildlife Deer Project Leader analyzes harvest, biological, and hunter effort data, along with hunter success rates, female versus male harvest, and other factors to manage deer populations in each zone. An analysis of this information is now underway for the annual spring deer management review. A complete harvest summary will be released shortly after the review."
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT
    Carbon Express Mayhem Hunter 350
    Axcel Armortech Vision PRO w/Perry's No Peep
    Vital Gear KazAway Arrow Rest
    100 gr Grim Reaper 2" Razortip Whitetail Special

More than twice as many deer taken during archery????
    I'd like to see a breakdown in doe vs buck harvest for both seasons and how many doe permits issued vs reported.
    And this being the first year "honest" hunters can electronically report (not to mention print their own tags ), yes you read that right, how many deer "inadvertently" were NOT reported????? But hey F&G (and insurance companies) tell us they are closer towards their management goals.

I don't know how the numbers are up so high, most of the guys I know had a real tough year. I didn't connect the dots until Dec. 28th. Come to think of it no one I know had a banner year in Mass.
    My wife beat cancer

I got 2 of the archery deer in zone 8.
    Thanks for the info season ticket
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

Break it down by zones and you will see where deer numbers are and go back 5-10 years not just last year. West of Rt 495 is terrible.

Quabbin kill for 2014 was 122 deer. They should stop the quabbin hunt. It's disgusting how bad the Massachusetts deer herd is now compared to what it was.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31 w/ RKT conversion/ QAD Ultrarest / HHA / Scott Exxus

Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector66 View Post
    I got 2 of the archery deer in zone 8.
    Thanks for the info season ticket
    Your welcome BoneCollector.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Trout View Post
    Break it down by zones and you will see where deer numbers are and go back 5-10 years not just last year. West of Rt 495 is terrible.

Quabbin kill for 2014 was 122 deer. They should stop the quabbin hunt. It's disgusting how bad the Massachusetts deer herd is now compared to what it was.

DJ, I know for me, the last few days of archery, the deer basically disappeared for me.
    I only saw two deer the rest of the season after archery. Prior to that I was seeing deer everyday, and getting them on camera also. I did hear A LOT of shooting every day once shotgun opened, as the orange army was pushing every piece of land around me. The zone that I am in, everyone gets a doe permit if they apply for one and can buy more until they run out. I only take one doe during archery providing I see a big one, and then I won't take a doe until the following season if the opportunity presents itself. There is no doubt in my mind that Massachusetts is bowing under to the insurance companies and want the deer herd as small as possible. I'm willing to bet they (the Ins. Co.'s) are dumping plenty of money into the MA coffers to make it happen.
    As far as the harvest numbers go, Mark Folco is a friend of mine and will ask him if he has access to the previous years numbers
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

OK, here we are:

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2012 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader, David Stainbrook, reports a total of 11,022 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2012 seasons.

By season, the total breaks down as follows:
    •4 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,903 taken in the archery season
    •4,950 taken during the shotgun season
    •2,081 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •84 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt

Deer populations are managed according to deer density goals established to maintain healthy deer populations in balance with the environment and people. Goals are set at levels that allow sustainable deer harvest and deer viewing opportunities for hunters and wildlife watchers, and at levels which minimize impacts on property damage, public health issues, and safety.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2011 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 11,154 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2011 seasons.

•8 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,765 taken in the archery season
    •5,349 taken during the shotgun season
    •1,959 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •73 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt WOW! Big decrease at Quabbin...
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2010 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 10,815 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2010 seasons.

I found the total to be 10,815 not 10,851 as they reported, they apparently added wrong.

•5 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,778 taken in the archery season
    •4,846 taken during the shotgun season
    •2,068 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •116 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    •2 deer taken unknown?
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2009 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 10,581 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2009 seasons.

•4 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,492 taken in the archery season
    •4,927 taken during the shotgun season
    •1,958 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •200 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2008 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 11,297 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2008 seasons.

•3,521 taken in the archery season
    •5,793 taken during the shotgun season
    •1,895 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •80 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2007 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 11,723 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2007 seasons.

•7 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,303 taken in the archery season
    •6,020 taken during the shotgun season
    •2,246 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •147 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2006 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 10,596 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2006 seasons.

•3,385 taken in the archery season
    •5,604 taken during the shotgun season
    •1,482 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •117 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

White-tailed Deer Harvests 2005 Deer Season

Deer Project Leader reports a total of 12,060 white-tailed deer harvested by licensed hunters during the combined 2005 seasons.

•7 deer taken during the special deer season for paraplegic sportsmen
    •3,162 taken in the archery season
    •6,449 taken during the shotgun season
    •2,325 taken during the muzzleloading season
    •117 deer harvested during the Quabbin Reservation hunt
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

Here is the data from 1966 to 2004:

Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

OK DJ Trout, I broke it down by zone for you, at least as far back as I could find records available. It seems from 1966 to 2004 there are only totals available.

Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

NOTE: The zone breakdown totals above, do not include the Quabbin Reservoir Lottery hunt harvest.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

Saeson Ticket, Thanks for the numbers. The effort is appreciated. I guess we need to look back further than I suggested earlier, but the Zone info is not there.

If you look at the early 90's numbers you will see a drastic increase in the total harvest. Why? ......beacuse this is when they extended the the hunting seasons.

Archery season went from 3 weeks to 6 weeks.... Shotgun went from 1 week to 2 weeks..... Muzzleloader went from traditional 1 week to hunting til December 31st.

The problem is hunters were still allowed 2 bucks and a doe, if drawn in the lottery system. So..... years go by and not much changes. The same amount of doe permits are issued year after year. Hunters in the western part of the state start complaing about the lack of deer. (Zones 1-4) It falls on deaf ears.

So.... the problem migrates easterly into zones 5, 6, and 7 while eastern Mass boasts good harvest numbers. The deer project leader views the heard as good based on the total yearly harvest and I truly believe that Mass Wildlife has never had any scientific way of estimating the deer population.

Now just recently they have reduced doe permits in some of these westerly zones. But it's going to take more than that to get the deer herd back to normal in my opinion.

1. ONE antlered deer per hunter, per year.

2. Stop shooting does completely for 2 or 3 years in the low deer density zones.

3. NO CLOSED SEASON ON COYOTES!!!

There are more reasons but these are main ones to me.

I know that I am going to catch heat for this, but I think they should outlaw driving also. Too many guys shooting at anything that moves down this way.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

Quote Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
    I know that I am going to catch heat for this, but I think they should outlaw driving also. Too many guys shooting at anything that moves down this way.
    I don't think it should be outlawed but groups that drive deer, without a doubt, factor into this, and to me it's mostly because there is percentage of groups that will shoot more than one doe on a permit if they can get away with it. I know this for a fact and over the years this, in my opinion, has also taken a toll on the deer herd.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Trout View Post
    I don't think it should be outlawed but groups that drive deer, without a doubt, factor into this, and to me it's mostly because there is percentage of groups that will shoot more than one doe on a permit if they can get away with it. I know this for a fact and over the years this, in my opinion, has also taken a toll on the deer herd.
    The problem with most of the guys that push that I have seen, is that there is no discrimination on what they pull the trigger on. It doesn't matter to them if it's a mature buck or doe or a yearling, if it runs by, they shoot at it. If they don't find it right away, they figured they missed.
    I have seen guys with half a dozen deer in a truck, some that probably didn't weigh 40 lbs. Then, to make matters worse, if they get it home without any problem, they just cut it up and don't tag it out of embarrassment.
    Hoyt Carbon Element RKT

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they issued no doe permits in zone 1,2,& 3 for a few years.
    Seems to be feast or famine out here lately.
    Definately not the same amount of deer there used to be out here... at least where I hunt.
    Mathews Creed
    HHO Optimizer 5019
    Beman ICS Hunter 400
    NAP SpitFire Maxx
    Rip Cord Code Red

Tough season for me too. ~130 Hours in the stand before I connected on an 8-pt December 20th. Although, I did take one coyote down earlier in the season, and another yote escaped by a twig... Need to buy an AR15 and take up coyote hunting.

Zone 11.

Hey down there in Massachusetts!!! Sorry for some of the hard hunting going on in some parts!!! The problem in Vermont is that most of the good land is being posted. We heard about Nantucket and Martha's vineyard.. We do not want to step on anybody's hunting and we all can relate to hard hunting.... Coyotes are a big problem up here!!!! I took me almost 35 years to shot a buck... Lots of empty tags... Can anybody help us out with the bow hunting on Nantucket and or Martha's vineyard??? Friend of mine go to Ill,Ohio, etc. and spend a lot of green.... We would appreciate any help you can give our small group of three or four......

Vthunter.....