Archery Talk Forum banner

A quick rant about Hoyt lead time!!!

4K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  nagster 
#1 ·
I ordered a Hoyt Pro Comp Elite Xl Green RH GTX Cams on November 28 from my local shop. At the time I was told that it would be a 6-10 week wait. I figured, hey thats not too long for the best right?

I went into the shop two days ago and they said that they had just herd from Hoyt that my bow would not be in until the SECOND WEEK OF MARCH!!!

15 WEEKS! I don't know whether or not I was naive to expect it sooner than this, but come on! I don't understand how a company that corners as much of the target bow market as they do can have such a poor production process.

All this being said, I feel bad for my local shop. They have been great and I have no doubt that I am not the only one grumpy with this process. This is the bow I want and I know it is probably worth waiting for, but that being said I am nothing short of disappointed.

-How long did your order take?

-Were you happy with the transaction?

-Does Hoyt have to do better?

-Is it worth the wait?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same bow, got it from the classifieds here for probably $800 less than you and got it in 4 days after I ordered it. It arrived MINT... I changed strings in another week (only because I wanted to, the stock ones were fine)... took a total of 10 days from finding it here to shooting it at my range with new strings.

So, why would you order a brand new bow that's last year's model? If you wanted a model that only came out in 2014, I understand, but a PCEXL hasn't changed one bit from 2013 to 2014.

That said, I've called Hoyt for some technical support, and they've been nothing short of awesome.

Do they have to do better? They do if you cancel your order. If you don't, they are doing just fine.

Is it worth the wait? What are you replacing? I replaced a VE+, and I'm not sure this is better... it isn't worse for sure, but is it that much better? Probably not.

#3 ·
i ordered a carbon spyder turbo in max 1 just 4 days after they came out back in mid october.
I thgen picked up a black one that somehow came in the shop dec 23rd. 9 weeks later it was the first one that came in. Then it was another 4 weeks till they had any others in stock. 13 weeks after the bows came out they started hitting the shops around here. And thats for a "production bow". I cannot not complain too much as we get to see the new bows EARLY in october then order.
Target bows are different, you gotta wait awhile. All them "pro's" get em first ya know. Gotta represent at lancaster and vegas ya know.

#4 ·
You've gotta remember, that you placed your order when the 2014 models had just been released...so therefore at that time Hoyt was already deep in the process of production on the bows for ALL of their pro-staff members and top priority dealers, getting bows out to those who needed them for things like the ATA Show/Lancaster/Telford/Vegas/etc. Most of the top dealers had already received their pre-order forms long before most consumers had placed their specific orders, so with that being said...you were already waiting in line from the very start.

Another thing to consider is that especially with the anodized target bows, those take a considerable amount of more time due to the finish...Hoyt DOES NOT anodize their own risers in house at the factory in Salt Lake City, all risers to be anodized are shipped to "George Industries" in southern California. I can only imagine the duration of that entire process from the time the risers are machined, inspected & approved, shipped to California, anodized...and then shipped back to Hoyt to finally be assembled, can take a good chunk of time.

One of my very best friends ordered a Carbon Spyder 34 back in October and was told 6-8 weeks wait time, we live in Utah only 120 miles from Hoyt's facility and it still took 8 weeks to the very day for his new bow to arrive...I know it sucks to wait but you've gotta realize that there are literally thousands of people worldwide who placed orders for new bows between October & January, Hoyt is doing the very best they can to fill orders as quickly and efficiently as possible I can assure you.

#5 ·
I ordered a Hoyt Carbon Sypder Vicxen like the 10th of Jan.. Said should just be 3 weeks...I'm still waiting.. Possible ship date of the 14th of this month keeping my fingers crossed as I start 3-D shoots this weekend. Will have to shoot my old faithful I guess lol..

#7 ·
I hear what you're saying, genuinely I do...but we as general consumers don't "accept" anything when ordering a bow. There's no official agreement made, no contract signed, no verbal communication between yourself and Hoyt directly...etc. If a guys' patience is really that thin, and he becomes that legitimately upset by waiting for a BRAND NEW top of the line bow to be carved out of a block of aluminum...then cancel the order and go elsewhere to spend your money. QUALITY takes a little bit of time!

#15 ·
Gotta remember that in addition to ordering yours during the releasing etc of the 2014's, they were probably doing a year end inventory as well (common time for businesses). Common practice leading up to inventory is to let parts run down so there is less to count.
Sounds like you are a victim of circumstance.

#20 ·
I have no dog in this fight, but everything here is all excuses for the bow company (Hoyt, PSE, Prime, whoever). Right or wrong, the OP was told 6-8 weeks and is now creeping into DOUBLE the estimate. I don't care what, or how, or why... it's absurd to take the guy's money (assuming a deposit was made) and then string'em along like that.

These companies need to do a better job of communicating ETA's to their dealers. They also need to work with their dealers on how they should be communicating with customers. It all starts at the top.....

Personally, I'd cancel the order and take my money elsewhere. Plenty of top notch target bows out there.

#24 ·
I know when I bought my hoyt last year the guy had to order it and he said "I want you to stand there while I call and put this phone on speaker so we both get the same information on how long it will be". That was the first time I ever been there and I got the idea he had maybe been down this road before of hoyt telling him one thing and doing another and having the customer flip. Lol. I appreciated that about him though.

#29 ·
It amazses me that a company as big as Hoyt that's suppose to be at the top of the game has no clue as to how long it's going to take to build a bow. Then the fanboys get on here and give you every excuse under the sun as to why your build time just got doubled when it really comes down to poor planning in the production depatment. They'd be better off telling you you can order a bow but we don't know when your going to get it.

#31 ·
Things must be improving----previously there have been waits for 6-8 months. Things are looking up!:darkbeer:

#32 ·
I wonder how many of these circumstances are:

Hoyt's fault?

Dealer guessing?

Dealer not ordering (better pricing in quantity? Just a pure guess...)

I don't believe the staff stuff to much. They can't even put there order in until the first week of December.

#34 ·
From what I was told, Hoyt does not stock target risers. When I ordered my AE last year I got it in about six weeks.

#35 ·
Try being left handed and have a short DL. I wait for everything that's ordered brand new. If I ordered a Target colored 2014 bow right when they were released, I hope for delivery before the 2015's get released.:wink:

On a serious note. If it was going to take 15 weeks from the beginning they should have told you. However stuff does happen, supplies get back ordered, production lines get shut down for repairs, people get sick. A lot of little things can add up and push delivery time back. It sucks, but either wait or cancel. Its that simple.

#36 ·
On a serious note. If it was going to take 15 weeks from the beginning they should have told you. However stuff does happen, supplies get back ordered, production lines get shut down for repairs, people get sick. A lot of little things can add up and push delivery time back. It sucks, but either wait or cancel. Its that simple.
In other words, "reality" happens...not everything can be rainbows & unicorns all the time.

#37 ·
I ordered a faktor turbo lefty blackout, 27.5, 55-65# was told 4 to 5 weeks. It was at my dealers shop in 1 week 5 days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.