Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet....

I've lost more weight quicker on other diets. So far I'm at 23 lbs of weight loss but my cholesterol and triglyceride levels have gone up. I'm actually getting blood pulled again right now so next week will be a deciding factor for me. Haven't had any sweets in 6 weeks now and in last weeks blood test my glucose level was elevated. 😒

Triglyceride levels can increase from excess carbohydrates as well as seed/veggie oils.

total cholesterol level is pretty much irrelevant. Your ratios and your ldl particle type are far more important. When you get the results, post them and I can plug them in to some formulas I have and explain everything. Also, if you're really concerned, you could have a vap test and test your crp number. The vap will actually show your ldl particle type and the crp will give you a good idea of systemic inflammation. The formulas I have are basically an educated guess, but the vap and crp would pretty accurate. You typicaply have to ask your doctor to run those. They don't ordinarily just do it

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Triglyceride levels can increase from excess carbohydrates as well as seed/veggie oils.

total cholesterol level is pretty much irrelevant. Your ratios and your ldl particle type are far more important. When you get the results, post them and I can plug them in to some formulas I have and explain everything. Also, if you're really concerned, you could have a vap test and test your crp number. The vap will actually show your ldl particle type and the crp will give you a good idea of systemic inflammation. The formulas I have are basically an educated guess, but the vap and crp would pretty accurate. You typicaply have to ask your doctor to run those. They don't ordinarily just do it
    Thanks. That's the test they ran today vap. Let's see what comes in next week.

The test came back and I'm relieved to say that my numbers are awesome. I guess my high protein/ high fat diet is NOT going to kill me of a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
    The test came back and I'm relieved to say that my numbers are awesome. I guess my high protein/ high fat diet is NOT going to kill me of a heart attack.
    awesome. it's amazing when you have the realization that pretty much everything doctors/nutritionists/food companies have tried to cram down our throats for years is utter bull****. congrats

Atkins was right all along :-)
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

I'm not going to lie, I've been somewhat concerned since last week that this diet was actually hurting my health. That study about how eating more protein during middle age coming out recently has been scaring the crap out of me but this is proof enough for me.
    Ten weeks in I have great numbers, my energy level is high so that concept that you need carbs for endurance sports is utterly false. I haven't had any gluten and basically the only carbs I get are from a few vegetables that I eat sparingly.

Formerly the great COWBOY state of Wyoming. Now, in the frozen north of Fairbanks Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Atkins was right all along :-)
    He very well may have been.

I'm not going to lie, I've been somewhat concerned since last week that this diet was actually hurting my health. That study about how eating more protein during middle age coming out recently has been scaring the crap out of me but this is proof enough for me.
    Ten weeks in I have great numbers, my energy level is high so that concept that you need carbs for endurance sports is utterly false. I haven't had any gluten and basically the only carbs I get are from a few vegetables that I eat sparingly.
    Be careful with going low carb for a really long time, it can cause some major hormonal issues (low testosterone) and did so for me. You need carbs, contrary to what the low carb paleo crowd trys to tell you, in order to keep your gut bacteria happy, and your gut bacteria pretty much run the show when it comes to our bodies. Returning to a normal carb level (100-200) corrected my problems thankfully.

Don't want to thread jack but I just did a vo2 max test. Number came in at 45.2 which is in the excellent range for my age and gender.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394746913.224303.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle48 View Post
    Be careful with going low carb for a really long time, it can cause some major hormonal issues (low testosterone) and did so for me. You need carbs, contrary to what the low carb paleo crowd trys to tell you, in order to keep your gut bacteria happy, and your gut bacteria pretty much run the show when it comes to our bodies. Returning to a normal carb level (100-200) corrected my problems thankfully.
    Great advice. Some fruit/potatoes every day or even every couple days should do the trick. Experiment to see what works best for you.

Congrats man. This way the elk gods can keep chanting max-e-mus, max-e-mus for years to come

Quote Originally Posted by kravguy View Post
    Congrats man. This way the elk gods can keep chanting max-e-mus, max-e-mus for years to come
    Lmao. That was funny. I certainly won't go down easy.

Lmao. That was funny. I certainly won't go down easy.
    Keep on keeping on you old bugger

Quote Originally Posted by rogbo View Post
    He very well may have been.
    Well he was more right then wrong. You still need yer carbs - it's just the macro that needs to be 'managed' the most.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Been thinking of what Eagle said and tried to figure out how many carbs I'm taking in right now and I'm pretty sure it's not more than 100. The funny thing is that I have not felt depleted yet and I do an abnormally high amount of cardio. For I stance yesterday I ran 9 miles super easy. Today I did legs at the gym and got home and ran 5. I think this "paleo" thing is on to something. On my long rides I've been feeling very strong and haven't bonked at all. Once I start doing over 3 hours that might change but so far it's been great.

Been thinking of what Eagle said and tried to figure out how many carbs I'm taking in right now and I'm pretty sure it's not more than 100. The funny thing is that I have not felt depleted yet and I do an abnormally high amount of cardio. For I stance yesterday I ran 9 miles super easy. Today I did legs at the gym and got home and ran 5. I think this "paleo" thing is on to something. On my long rides I've been feeling very strong and haven't bonked at all. Once I start doing over 3 hours that might change but so far it's been great.

Your body can certainly handle being fat adapted and do well in that stage for an extended time, but eventually sh*t hits the fan if you do it long enough, and I'm talking very long. I was low carb paleo for over a year when it happened to me. No fatigue issues at all, could run all I cared to and had no issue with strength training or anything else. Then I started noticing that my sleep wasn't what it once was, I had lost interest in my wife in that way, and I just didn't feel right, something felt "off". So I went in for a physical, and everything was perfect, except for the fact that I had the test level of an 80 year old man at the age of 27. At the time, I was 6' 175 and 8%BF, in excellent shape basically aside from feeling like I wasn't alive, which is a very strange feeling. So after that doctors visit, I started researching and realized that a chronicly low carb intake (less than 50 grams a day) for an extended period can cause issues. I upped my carbs (150-200 grams a day) and started eating less fat and protein to keep my cals roughly the same, and by May, when I was retested, my levels were normal, and I felt normal, still in shape physically, but mentally I was much clearer and my wife was much happier, mood swings were gone, ect.

I'm thankful I figured out what was wrong with me and was able to correct it, as not feeling alive was no way to go on living. Because of that experience, I try and steer as many people as I possibly can away from low carb paleo. Paleo is pretty much a joke anymore really though, as more and more research is coming to light. Essentially, just stay away from wheat, vegetable oils and processed foods, and you'll be golden. That's what Paleo has evolved into for me, avoiding wheat processed crap in a box.

I agree with what eagle said. The other big thing that crashes after a while of low carbing is the thyroid.

The major points of "paleo" for me are avoiding gluten containing grains, avoiding veggie/seed oils, and avoiding soy. Stay away from packaged products and you're 90% good to go

Don't want to thread jack but I just did a vo2 max test. Number came in at 45.2 which is in the excellent range for my age and gender.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394746913.224303.jpg
    Do you sound like Darth Vader in that thing? If so very cool, I want one.

Your body can certainly handle being fat adapted and do well in that stage for an extended time, but eventually sh*t hits the fan if you do it long enough, and I'm talking very long. I was low carb paleo for over a year when it happened to me. No fatigue issues at all, could run all I cared to and had no issue with strength training or anything else. Then I started noticing that my sleep wasn't what it once was, I had lost interest in my wife in that way, and I just didn't feel right, something felt "off". So I went in for a physical, and everything was perfect, except for the fact that I had the test level of an 80 year old man at the age of 27. At the time, I was 6' 175 and 8%BF, in excellent shape basically aside from feeling like I wasn't alive, which is a very strange feeling. So after that doctors visit, I started researching and realized that a chronicly low carb intake (less than 50 grams a day) for an extended period can cause issues. I upped my carbs (150-200 grams a day) and started eating less fat and protein to keep my cals roughly the same, and by May, when I was retested, my levels were normal, and I felt normal, still in shape physically, but mentally I was much clearer and my wife was much happier, mood swings were gone, ect.

I'm thankful I figured out what was wrong with me and was able to correct it, as not feeling alive was no way to go on living. Because of that experience, I try and steer as many people as I possibly can away from low carb paleo. Paleo is pretty much a joke anymore really though, as more and more research is coming to light. Essentially, just stay away from wheat, vegetable oils and processed foods, and you'll be golden. That's what Paleo has evolved into for me, avoiding wheat processed crap in a box.
    Is it possible that the meat you consumed had hormones* in it that overwhelmed your system and caused your issues? Unless you are raising all your own meat there is no way to be sure that it is chocked full of this added chemicals or that. ( *I wonder if those added hormones in our food system is leading to this low T issue men are seeing ( or at least the low t shot clinics say men are having)

Why no grains? I get the over processed part but it sounds as if you and not on the rug say no grains at all and I am curious on that.
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/
    This link covers the basics

Phylates. Lectins. Gluten. Plants don't have daggers or claws to protect themselves. They can't run away from predators. So they put toxins in their seeds to keep animals from eating them. Except us human animals thought it would be a good idea to cultivate those poison crops and call them food by adding other things to them. Grains have no innate nutritional value whatsoever. Everything "good" in that bread you're eating was added in to it. And phylates and lectins ade actually anti-nutrients. They block the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals. Phylates, lectins, and gluten also act as inflammatory substances in our bodies. And as we all know now, inflammation is the cause of cardiovascular disease. So...

Meat I ate was either wild game, chicken or a grass fed steer we had bought at that time, so no, hormones in meat had nothing to do with it. Even with that, it's been proven that those hormones can't be transferred from the animal to a human through consumption, so it doesn't matter anyhow.

I don't say to avoid grains, just wheat. I eat corn, oats and beans all the time without any issues.

I eat white rice, organic corn and certified gluten free oats without issue. Some people are more sensitive to those things than others. Wheat is nasty stuff. Especially the wheat sold in the us. The dwarf wheat plant that they developed has astronomical levels of gluten and the other nasties. Definitely avoid wheat at all costs

Formerly the great COWBOY state of Wyoming. Now, in the frozen north of Fairbanks Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Well he was more right then wrong. You still need yer carbs - it's just the macro that needs to be 'managed' the most.
    absolutely, where most people bungle the Atkins method or Mark's method, or any lower carb style is in keeping to ridiculously low carb intake (-20 grams) for way too long. Even atkins, advocates, nuts, fruits, sweet potatoe, etc. He truly never put a number on carb intake (other than a brief induction period) but advocated finding that carb intake level that allows you to maintain a certain weight or physique once achieved. If it's 100 grams per day then great. If it's 500 grams per day...good on that as well. Hint: it's probably not 500 grams

Meat I ate was either wild game, chicken or a grass fed steer we had bought at that time, so no, hormones in meat had nothing to do with it. Even with that, it's been proven that those hormones can't be transferred from the animal to a human through consumption, so it doesn't matter anyhow.

I don't say to avoid grains, just wheat. I eat corn, oats and beans all the time without any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I eat white rice, organic corn and certified gluten free oats without issue. Some people are more sensitive to those things than others. Wheat is nasty stuff. Especially the wheat sold in the us. The dwarf wheat plant that they developed has astronomical levels of gluten and the other nasties. Definitely avoid wheat at all costs
    thanks.... some stuff to think about for sure....
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast