Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet....

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Well he was more right then wrong. You still need yer carbs - it's just the macro that needs to be 'managed' the most.
    I see "macro" used a lot in these discussions. What does it mean?

Macronutrient. Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat are the macro's. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals.

OK, thanks.

Paleo Diet....

[QUOTE=not on the rug;1069702907]http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/
    This link covers the basics

Phylates. Lectins. Gluten. Plants don't have daggers or claws to protect themselves. They can't run away from predators. So they put toxins in their seeds to keep animals from eating them. Except us human animals thought it would be a good idea to cultivate those poison crops and call them food by adding other things to them. Grains have no innate nutritional value whatsoever. Everything "good" in that bread you're eating was added in to it. And phylates and lectins ade actually anti-nutrients. They block the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals. Phylates, lectins, and gluten also act as inflammatory substances in our bodies. And as we all know now, inflammation is the cause of cardiovascular disease. So...[/
    QUOTE]

Lord help us all. You are intent on deriving your "info" from websites that make no effort to hide the fact they are selling books bent on "exposing conventional dietary science"..... So, apparently in this world of yours plants place toxins in their seeds to deter predatory consumption...? Science Lesson: Nearly all plants rely on the consumption and redistribution of their seeds to propagate their species. As to your claim "grains have no nutritional value whatsoever": grains are in fact an embryonic plant and as such contain a multitude of nutritional compounds beneficial to not only a growing plant but the mono gastric (human) gut as well.

Look, you are clearly intelligent.... educated however, you are not. You speak on here with SOME degree of intelligent "rationalization" and an extreme amount of confidence......which is extremely dangerous when founded off pseudo-science, assumptions and extrapolations of real science. With an academic background in science (including mono gastric and ruminant nutrition), I can honestly say that you have NO PLACE giving people dietary advice. Please, read all the "new age" books you desire but don't come on here and give "advice" to people who may genuinely need professional dietary advice.

i'm not basing my rationalizations on what mark sisson says. i'm simply providing a link that gives the basics to anyone searching for information. the stuff on that site is a great starting point for anyone interested in ancestral or anti-anflamatory diets.

what animals eat seeds purposefully? as in, seeks them out for consumption? birds. are we birds?

and like I mentioned above, the dwarf wheat plant is a genetically modified hybrid of what wild wheat actually is, magnifying all of the bad characteristics of the wheat plant.

i'm curious now, please tell me what all of these wonderful things are in wheat that we should be consuming? tell me what's in that bread you're eating that is essential for life. you know, what's in there that wasn't added by the manufacturer that makes it good for us?

congrats on your degree, but the last I checked, humans weren't ruminants. should we be eating grass too?

if you want to keep eating wheat, that's fine. the facts are that wheat contains gluten, phylates and lectins. those compounds are not good for you, to the point of actually being anti-nutrients. that is a fact. if you can somehow convince me that gluten, phylates and lectins are actually good for me, then i'd like to hear it. good luck with that endeavor though

^^^ excellent points

My wife and I follow a diet similar in many ways to Paleo, although not quite as strict. It's more just choosing the healthier and less processed options, taking the time to cook up said alternatives, and eating in this way the majority of the time. It's been working for a good few months now with little effort, and we've both lost a bit of weight but also have a healthier body composition. Many of the recipes we have found and now use are fantastic and pretty easy to follow. We still have our "non-Paleo" foods such as grains, just a lot less of them. Whereas before we tended towards a carb-heavy diet, now we're balancing out our macros well and ingesting a lot less grains and processed chow.
    "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13

Ben Pearson Cougar, 64", 47# @ 28.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Al_D View Post
    My wife and I follow a diet similar in many ways to Paleo, although not quite as strict. It's more just choosing the healthier and less processed options, taking the time to cook up said alternatives, and eating in this way the majority of the time. It's been working for a good few months now with little effort, and we've both lost a bit of weight but also have a healthier body composition. Many of the recipes we have found and now use are fantastic and pretty easy to follow. We still have our "non-Paleo" foods such as grains, just a lot less of them. Whereas before we tended towards a carb-heavy diet, now we're balancing out our macros well and ingesting a lot less grains and processed chow.
    This is exactly where my wife and I are at right now. Even though I run marathons, I still carried some extra flab. Since we both started this (Mark's Daily Apple is what got me going), the weight has been melting off of both of us. No more low blood sugar feeling crashes when I haven't eaten for more than 3hrs. I even ran an 8 miler a few weeks ago on a 17hr fast and felt great. No way I would've done that on our previous eating habits.

In on this. Im enjoying this conversation. I am 38, male and at 5'11" 249lbs, overweight. Ive decided not to go no carb as while I think I could drop weight, I don't find no carb a long term solution. As far as processed foods, would you consider say lite cesar salad dressing, colametta olives, etc processed food? Im shooting more for a lifestyle change, as opposed to rapid weight loss/gain

Quote Originally Posted by kcbuckeraser View Post
    In on this. Im enjoying this conversation. I am 38, male and at 5'11" 249lbs, overweight. Ive decided not to go no carb as while I think I could drop weight, I don't find no carb a long term solution. As far as processed foods, would you consider say lite cesar salad dressing, colametta olives, etc processed food? Im shooting more for a lifestyle change, as opposed to rapid weight loss/gain
    one of the most important things to avoid are seed/veggies oils . so any product or dressing that has any sort of vegetable oil, canola oil, repaseed oil, soy oil, etc in it you should avoid like the plague. 99% of all bottled salad dressings contain those products and should therefore be avoided.

imported olives and olive oil can be adulterated with cheap oils and you wouldn't even know it. google a little bit to find the studies and the results of what was actually found in the major imported olive oils that were tested. it will disgust you. stick to olive products from the usa. California olive ranch is my olive oil recommendation.

as far as carbs go, I eat plenty of them. but weight loss isn't my goal. safe starches like white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains, etc are good choices to have a few times per week. probably better to have on workout days than non-workout days. fruit is a great choice too.

I wouldn't necessarily go no carb, but rather focus on getting your carbs from vegetables and fruits rather than starches and grains.
    "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunt1988 View Post
    Instant fail. Ancestral eating isn't even a low carb diet. Try getting your information from a reputable source, not something you saw on oprah.

It always amazes me that the first people to criticize something are the ones who know the least about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Al_D View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go no carb, but rather focus on getting your carbs from vegetables and fruits rather than starches and grains.
    Starches are actually important for gut health. Particularly resistant starches found in potatoes or white rice that has been cooked and cooled, and then eaten cold or reheated

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Instant fail. Ancestral eating isn't even a low carb diet. Try getting your information from a reputable source, not something you saw on oprah.

It always amazes me that the first people to criticize something are the ones who know the least about it...
    My post did exactly what it was intended to do.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunt1988 View Post
    My post did exactly what it was intended to do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Since my June 16th post, I have cut out everything processed and containing vegetable oil. I have also quit most things with grain. Not that I will never eat bread, or something on a bun, but to be honest, I just don't crave grain since I have changed up my eating. I have been eating a lot of fruit, tons of veggies, and meat. Not sure it is paleo, not quite primal, but I am shooting for sustainablilty, not rapid loss and gain of weight. I have found since then, I actually stay fuller between meals, don't really crave, and my body functions seem more regular. Things I want to work on are less alcohol (I own a homebrew supply store, so yeah, beer is my achilies heel) and diet dr pepper, and drink more water. In the last 4 weeks almost, since being more careful what I have eaten, I am down exactly 10 pounds and am now on the last notch on my belt. I will be buying new shorts here in a week as these are just too big in the waist. I feel better. Plain and simple. Again I am looking to make a whole lifestyle change, not just lose weight then gain it back cycle etc. Thank you for the link to Mark's daily apple. Interesting stuff there for sure and has been a lot of great reading.

I started at 292 pounds and nearly diabetic (HbA1c of 6.9) in April. I started a paleo diet and crossfit the last week of May. As of today, I weigh 247 pounds, have cut my blood pressure meds in half and feel like a new man. I intend to be in the 230s by deer season.

Results don't lie. Cutting the carbs and processed junk out of my diet, combined with serious exercise has made all the difference.
    Before the Internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

Congrats to you Texasaggie and I am happy for you. But I don't think it was the result of taking out in as much as exercising and eating healthy. I know this one guy, all he does is eat bread and pasta. He's gone and passed some of the toughest army schools

Quote Originally Posted by Chopayne View Post
    Congrats to you Texasaggie and I am happy for you. But I don't think it was the result of taking out in as much as exercising and eating healthy. I know this one guy, all he does is eat bread and pasta. He's gone and passed some of the toughest army schools
    Some guys can perform well even with the worst of diets. For example, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace was notorious for eating cheeseburgers, pizza, and loads of unhealthy foods while he was competing and excelling in kickboxing.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I started at 292 pounds and nearly diabetic (HbA1c of 6.9) in April. I started a paleo diet and crossfit the last week of May. As of today, I weigh 247 pounds, have cut my blood pressure meds in half and feel like a new man. I intend to be in the 230s by deer season.

Results don't lie. Cutting the carbs and processed junk out of my diet, combined with serious exercise has made all the difference.
    This is what is happening to many. Great job TexasAggie!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6aXRwuMgg

This guy you know is probably insulin sensitive, TexasAggie is probably insulin resistant, the same rules do not apply for all.

The Paleo diet in a nutshell makes a lot of sense... just don't do an overkill and I don't know where you get your facts from but, I think the people who lived about 200 years ago lived longer and healthier than us. Yea I am not going back to the Stone Age, cos my point is the diet and not the timing, these days we do eat a lot of junk; don't get me wrong I love a doughnut every now and then but I think with everything moderation is key. I don't agree with all the Paleo way of eating but about 80% of it makes sense.. so you should just take a closer look it's not so bad.. it's just like another type of "vegetarian" FYI I am not vegetarian nor am I about to do the Paleo diet.. I don't need to

Quote Originally Posted by knapsackflowing View Post
    The Paleo diet in a nutshell makes a lot of sense... just don't do an overkill and I don't know where you get your facts from but, I think the people who lived about 200 years ago lived longer and healthier than us. Yea I am not going back to the Stone Age, cos my point is the diet and not the timing, these days we do eat a lot of junk; don't get me wrong I love a doughnut every now and then but I think with everything moderation is key. I don't agree with all the Paleo way of eating but about 80% of it makes sense.. so you should just take a closer look it's not so bad.. it's just like another type of "vegetarian" FYI I am not vegetarian nor am I about to do the Paleo diet.. I don't need to
    Uhm. Research average living expectancy. where did you get your facts from? Diets 200 years ago consisted more on grains as no one could have kings deer and meat was expensive. We're the highest it's been.
    Quote Originally Posted by loujo61 View Post
    This guy you know is probably insulin sensitive, TexasAggie is probably insulin resistant, the same rules do not apply for all.
    No they dont. But he simply dieted and tried to make one result explain everything. I guaranty with my left nut a regular diet would have worked the same.

Uhm. Research average living expectancy. where did you get your facts from? Diets 200 years ago consisted more on grains as no one could have kings deer and meat was expensive. We're the highest it's been.

No they dont. But he simply dieted and tried to make one result explain everything. I guaranty with my left nut a regular diet would have worked the same.
    Watch "The men who made us fat", or "Fructose 2.0" on Youtube and see how much better our food is now compared to then.
    A "regular diet" in theory should work the same because its calories in calories out right? Wrong... A person who has metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance) usually has a tough time losing any weight on a regular low fat low calorie diet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast