Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSE (or hybrid cam) tuning tips

Mmiles, I think your comparison is good. My only clarification would be that it doesn't even matter if the arrow is flying cleanly.... Even with a hard tail left...the arrow doesn't drift right with distance (with a field tip).

Wow thanks for taking the time to type all this great info out. Very nice to have it all one spot.
    Road Crew Pro Staff
    I shoot bows

Good stuff tmorelli. Thanks for sharing.
    Bow and arrow with sharp pointy thing on the end.

It is great info...Thanks for taking the time to type it out...Grizz
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...

Threads like this help newb tuners like myself! Thanks...
    PSE DNA 70#, PSE BM XS 70#.

Paper tuning is a good start after setting the basics. Use level form

Bare shaft at 20 yrds next. Use level form.

Walk back tune only after you have the skills to shoot level.

Level is the key word here. I could get a perfect paper tear and see my old bow drift 8 inches on a walk back. All due to being 1/2 a bubble off plumb/ level.

Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    Its all there already. That's my point.... 25 years and countless bows and setups of my own and for others....no walk back.... No French. No issues.

You tell me why...
    Consider this.

A lot of it comes down to how level your form is when testing. More so for finger shooters. Hold the aim after the shot , Many archers are sloppy and think they are testing their bows right , when they are trying above personal skill. Some people don't need to be told to aim and follow thru. It just comes natural. Others like myself had to develop muscle memory. When the set up is matched well, it comes down to human failure to repeat.

I have a question regarding bare shaft tuning, if you look at your bare shafts and not straight into the target (Rhinoblock), say the nocks are high and right as compared to the straight fletched arrows. Is that how the bare shaft is coming off the bow?
    Drenalin LD-Spot Hogg Hunter-HDX-Bee Stinger Premier Plus
    Centroid LR- Hogg Father- Bee Stinger Premier Plus- LD Micro Elite- GT Ultralight's
    Heli-m-Hogg-It-HDX-Bee Stinger
    Chill X - Hogg Father-HDX-BeeStingers- Carbon Injections

Quote Originally Posted by va limbhanger View Post
    I have a question regarding bare shaft tuning, if you look at your bare shafts and not straight into the target (Rhinoblock), say the nocks are high and right as compared to the straight fletched arrows. Is that how the bare shaft is coming off the bow?
    If it is repeatable, yes. Be cautious of target caused issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    Paper tuning is a good start after setting the basics. Use level form

Bare shaft at 20 yrds next. Use level form.

Walk back tune only after you have the skills to shoot level.

Level is the key word here. I could get a perfect paper tear and see my old bow drift 8 inches on a walk back. All due to being 1/2 a bubble off plumb/ level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    Consider this.

A lot of it comes down to how level your form is when testing. More so for finger shooters. Hold the aim after the shot , Many archers are sloppy and think they are testing their bows right , when they are trying above personal skill. Some people don't need to be told to aim and follow thru. It just comes natural. Others like myself had to develop muscle memory. When the set up is matched well, it comes down to human failure to repeat.

"Level" form?

Are you just talking about the second axis?

Yes, second axis must be set right and repeatable to shoot accurately during or after tuning. I'm not sure if holding the bow level is a learned skill.

Since none of the arrow flight tuning methods I use involve moving the sight..... I'm not sure where you're going with this.

If I have the bow running at least as well as me....and I possess the skill to do anything I want with it....why would I go walk back tune?

If it is repeatable, yes. Be cautious of target caused issues though.
    I think I know what you mean? Your talking about using soft target bags or possibly getting a bad arrow angle from hitting other shafts in the target?
    I'm just starting to get into bare shaft tuning and so far the toughest thing for me has been sometimes deciding on what course of action to take to correct an issue. Seems sometimes there can be more than one adjustment needed, or maybe one adjustment should be made before all others. That sort of stuff, but it sure is a challenge and that's what makes it interesting for me. I'm sure I just need to put in more time with it and it will become clear. Thanks.
    Drenalin LD-Spot Hogg Hunter-HDX-Bee Stinger Premier Plus
    Centroid LR- Hogg Father- Bee Stinger Premier Plus- LD Micro Elite- GT Ultralight's
    Heli-m-Hogg-It-HDX-Bee Stinger
    Chill X - Hogg Father-HDX-BeeStingers- Carbon Injections

Quote Originally Posted by va limbhanger View Post
    I think I know what you mean? Your talking about using soft target bags or possibly getting a bad arrow angle from hitting other shafts in the target?
    I'm just starting to get into bare shaft tuning and so far the toughest thing for me has been sometimes deciding on what course of action to take to correct an issue. Seems sometimes there can be more than one adjustment needed, or maybe one adjustment should be made before all others. That sort of stuff, but it sure is a challenge and that's what makes it interesting for me. I'm sure I just need to put in more time with it and it will become clear. Thanks.
    Yes on the target. Don't make a decision off one arrow.... Make sure its repeatable.

I think I basically typed my summary in the sequence I attack a new setup. If yours is "established" then I think sequence isn't so important. Attack the problem...one thing at a time. Most guys like to take care of the vertical stuff first....I guess I tackle the worst first. In any case, fixing one often improves the other too.

Thanks for all the great info. I have a new bow coming in and have been trying to find all the info I need in order to get it set up.

I had a question about bottom cam lean at full draw. Should I be shimming the cam to get it vertical? Or just get it close to vertical without going past. The bow is a full throttle and I have been reading lots of posts about how the draw stop is almost missing the cable etc...

My last bow was a bowtech and am used to having the cams being the mirror image of each other. I don't have any experience with this type of cam system or how the cam lean should look before I start fooling with tuning. I assume I should get the top cam vertical at fool draw and the bottom the same or at least close.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jfk742 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info. I have a new bow coming in and have been trying to find all the info I need in order to get it set up.

I had a question about bottom cam lean at full draw. Should I be shimming the cam to get it vertical? Or just get it close to vertical without going past. The bow is a full throttle and I have been reading lots of posts about how the draw stop is almost missing the cable etc...

My last bow was a bowtech and am used to having the cams being the mirror image of each other. I don't have any experience with this type of cam system or how the cam lean should look before I start fooling with tuning. I assume I should get the top cam vertical at fool draw and the bottom the same or at least close.

John
    Tune first. Let the tune tell you what the cam lean needs.

The only reason I'd shim before tuning is if I felt a cam was dangerously close to drawing past the stop...that isn't anything I expect to see on any of the factory built pse's.

This should be a sticky at the top of this forum BTW. Who do we need to talk to, to make that happen?
    Strother Wrath - 60# 29.5" QAD Pro HD, Hogg Father, Doinker Elite Supreme Hunter, T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme

PSE Supra Max, NAP SmartRest, Doinker Elite Supreme, Spot-Hogg Hogg Father & Spark Pro, T.R.U. Ball Absolute 360/HT 3 Pro

Bump for an extremely informative thread.
    southpaw
    compound/single cam/60#/26.5"/379gr/247fps
    traditional/recurve/40# @ 28"/uber slow

Quote Originally Posted by JPR79 View Post
    Bump for an extremely informative thread.
    No need, we got it stickied!!
    Strother Wrath - 60# 29.5" QAD Pro HD, Hogg Father, Doinker Elite Supreme Hunter, T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme

PSE Supra Max, NAP SmartRest, Doinker Elite Supreme, Spot-Hogg Hogg Father & Spark Pro, T.R.U. Ball Absolute 360/HT 3 Pro

Question about tuning with the flex cable guard. So if I want to eliminate a left bare shaft tear, I would tighten the flex guard or loosen it?
    TEAM ELITE!
    ENERGY 35 & 32
    GOLD TIP ARROWS, CBE SIGHTS
    BERNIES CONTROL FREAK, TRU BALL
    AIRBORNE!

Quote Originally Posted by CRISSMAN6903 View Post
    Question about tuning with the flex cable guard. So if I want to eliminate a left bare shaft tear, I would tighten the flex guard or loosen it?
    You would tighten it down.

Careful though, this is and should be a very fine adjustment. If you have to do much with it, I'd say you may have missed it elsewhere in your tune. In theory, the more "backed off" the flex guard is, the more benefit you get from it (torque reduction).

Nice thread. good info in it so it is stuck
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you"-Jeremy Clarkson

Good thread, will help people save a lot of time
    2012 Hoyt Alphaelite for 3D :2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo 3D/Hunting,2011 PSE Vendetta XL for hunting/3D

Archery is like farting, try to force it and it will turn to sheet!

Tag on tuning. Thanks

Philosophically, I tend to think many of our tuning methods and other rituals are really about putting our minds at ease with our equipment. What we have confidence in performs the best for us.
    SHAZAM! Best insight I've read on AT in years.
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

How did I miss this ? Nice write up Tmorelli. I see I'm gonna have to hang out in the PSE forum a little more often..

Found It. Thanks for posting and Troll on!
    Vantage Elite +'s (77#, 60#, 55#) And a Matrix with Spirals for hunting
    Things I Like: Honey Badger Bowstrings, Gold Tip Arrows, Affordable Stabilizer Weights (ASW), Grave Digger Broadheads, and DS Advantage Products

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast