a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team 3 - Fandamonium

Awesome double beard RH1!!

Stormed last night and cleared up a bit this morning and the turkey's were everywhere yet again. I will prolly try and take someone out with me this weekend and try to put them on a nice tom.

* Team 20- Undeertakers*
    Elite Energy 32

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorkid1 View Post
    Awesome double beard RH1!!

Stormed last night and cleared up a bit this morning and the turkey's were everywhere yet again. I will prolly try and take someone out with me this weekend and try to put them on a nice tom.
    Thanks bud. I had no idea he had two beards until I got to him.
    "Dream Team #17"
    Bowtech Insanity CPXL Black Ops
    Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    Bowtech Allegiance Black Marble

You guys have done great in my absence. Congrats!!!

Our CT season starts Wednesday. I hope to connect on a couple birds, but they will not be of the caliber you guys have scored.
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, & Spitfire Gobbler Getter broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

In my pasture by my house so far today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Team 20- Undeertakers*
    Elite Energy 32

I went uot both Saturday and Sunday but failed to connect. Im kinda new to this game so i'm doing a little learning as I go.

They are roosting on another property about 500 yards away from me right now and wont come out in the field where I have my decoys set up. I'm going to stop at their place and ask permission to hunt there this weekend. The bird on the neighbors was gobbling like crazy for the first 2 hours of the day but wouldn't peak his head out into the field. I sat there from 5:15 until noon waiting lol. If I cant get permission i'm just gonna have to hope they decide to roost on the property i'm allowed to hunt soon lol.

Do birds generally change their roosting site or will the roost in the same spot for a month straight? Im hoping they split up and at least one of the birds moves over to my property soon.
    Mathews Z7 Extreme Sword Twilight Hunter

I have gone in and busted them off the roost right before dark when they become difficult. They end up splitting up and looking for each other the next morning. Just something to consider as a last ditch effort

9:00 PM - I just set up the ground blind in the dark (have to put it up in the dark and take it down after each hunt as neighboring kids might get too curious with my belongings...). There is a 90% chance of rain tomorrow, but it is opening day... All I know is I'm not gonna shoot a Tom while sleeping.
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, & Spitfire Gobbler Getter broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
    9:00 PM - I just set up the ground blind in the dark (have to put it up in the dark and take it down after each hunt as neighboring kids might get too curious with my belongings...). There is a 90% chance of rain tomorrow, but it is opening day... All I know is I'm not gonna shoot a Tom while sleeping.
    Good luck.. I love hunting turkeys in the rain.
    Guys were only 2 birds out of first place.. that's pretty good with a few guys still hunting we have a solid chance at winning this thing
    "Dream Team #17"

Got to bed at 10:30 PM with my alarm set for 4:15 AM. The forecast called for heavy rain overnight and for the next 2 days. I awoke at 3:30 AM to the sound of rain pounding the roof. Guessing that there would be some lulls in the downpour I decided to get up at 4:15 AM and prep for my hunt. Sure enough, at about 4:45 AM it was 38 degrees and the rain had stopped – but only to start up again at 5:10 AM.

After calling at sunrise (? – it was overcast and raining) I got some responses. Had a Tom come in and he picked off my movement as I shifted my video camera. A jake came in and ran off after seeing something he didn’t like. Finally at 7:05 AM I hit the slate hard (they were responding well to my box call and my slate – not to my HS Strut EZ Rasp and Double D reed calls) and had a hen and Tom come in. Drew on the Tom when he was at 5 yards and very close to my decoys. He turned to walk away, but turned back broadside and I let the arrow fly. The Spitfire Gobbler Getter and Beman ICS Hunter arrow made it half way out the other side of the bird before his legs or wings broke the arrow in two. He went down 30 yards away while the hen ran out of sight.

I had hoped to get the hunt on film, but I goofed up with my camera remote in trying to start the thing recording. The picture here is footage of when I put my rain gear on to retrieve the bird.

It is a cold and rainy day, but my time in the woods was well spent. I got the biggest bird of my turkey career and I didn’t mind cutting out the breasts in the cold! He weighed 23 lbs, 0 oz. His spurs are 1 3/16” and 1 1/16”, and the beard is 10 1/8” for a score of 65.75.

fantastic job,weather here is miserable but will be chasing them,so much wind this yr!

Freakn awesome job midlife. Most guys don't fill them in the rain because they lack the drive to do it. Congrats on your best bird and thanks for sharing

season starts Saturday here in PA. was all pumped to hunt after the youth season last weekend when I took a kid out and there was birds everywhere. I have a Saturday class from 9 till noon and was planning on skipping only to find out that we are taking our final Saturday so I will only be able to hunt for like an hour. with finals week being next week I don't think I will be able to hunt to much and a flight leaving for Florida Thursday morning and staying till Sunday I hope I can get it done with the limited time to hunt.
    2014 Elite Energy 35 ap snow, Elite QAD, Sword Twilight hunter, 8" dead silent Stab

Great job Midlife!! Awesome bird
    "Dream Team #17"

Thanks, guys. It was a good hunt, but I blew it this morning. Shortly after 7:00 AM I called in a hen and Tom. I knew they were coming around the right side of my blind from behind me, but I expected them to move out front and to my left near the decoys. The hen cooperated, but the Tom did not. Had I rotated in my chair when the hen passed behind a tree and before the Tom came into sight I would have had a clear 20 yard shot at him. His rope was longer than the one on the bird I shot yesterday. My brain was in a fog this morning, just like the landscape. POUNDING rain woke me up at 2:20 AM and I am just not able to think quickly on 4 hours of sleep. I'll just have to chock this one up to being yet another learning experience and draw on it for future hunts.

I should be back out there tomorrow morning, but another hunter will be joining me in this woods and hunting out of my blind. Although I will be hunting nearby, my guess is that he drills that bird.

Way to go midlife! Way to take down a beautiful gobbler dispite the weather.
    * Team 20- Undeertakers*
    Elite Energy 32

Well done guys. You have been doing some mashing while I was awol.

Last weekend I spent taking 11 of my archery team kids on a special youth turkey hunt. Unfortunately we did not connect on any birds. And naturally, we saw over 60 deer in one day (when it wasn't deer season).

I am finally getting out on Saturday morning. Hopefully I can get one to pick a fight with my new Dakota Jake decoy.
    2012 Strother Wrath
    Scott Wildcat Release
    Gold Tip XT Hunters 28.5 in. w/Blazer Vanes and Wraps

Got out yesterday morning. Heard a gobbler to the east, but could not call him in. I called it quits early and picked up garbage on the property for about 20 minutes on my way out. As I was driving out I saw a Tom strutting on the edge of the woods. I got out of my Jeep and grabbed my bow. I stalked him and shot him at 20 yards. The shot was low, but crippling. I ran after him and put another arrow in him. It was not my best hunt.

Long story short, he weighed 22 lbs even, spurs 1" and 1 1/16" and had a 9 1/4" beard for a score of 61.125 points -- not big enough to replace my first one. Grilled one breast last night - good eating on top of some Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks!

I have one more tag left, but I am trying to get my 76 year old friend on a bird, so I am probably done for the season. Best of luck to everyone still at it!!!

Good job Midlife.. guys it looks like we are only one bird out of 1st!! Who's still hunting
    "Dream Team #17"

We are in third place now (Team 9 pulled in front of us with their 5th bird), but one more bird at 59+ points will put us in first! Let's get 'er done!!

Sorry guys been real busy with finals week all week and came to florida for the weekend. Haven't been able to take my bow out yet but hopfully next weekend. Planned on hunting all next week but start a new job Monday so I won't be able to. Did kill one on Tuesday but that was with a gun. Plan on going out next weekend with the bow.
    2014 Elite Energy 35 ap snow, Elite QAD, Sword Twilight hunter, 8" dead silent Stab

Anyone still hunting?
    "Dream Team #17"

I am a little worn out after my second bird, but if I get in the mood and wake up again at 3:30 AM I might head out to see if I can get my third. What we need is for someone who has not connected on a bird to score one. Anyone still working on a first bird?

Went out to a spot today for a hunt, mostly just doing some scouting, but didnt even manage to see one turkey.
    * Team 20- Undeertakers*
    Elite Energy 32

season ended yesterday,worst season ever for not getting birds to co operate!Might try to find a place to hunt in Nebreska if there season is still going!Any suggestions anyone!

If the storms stop this evening I am going out I have till the 31st to connect. Really wish I could hunt mornings but I don't think my boss would like me calling off when I just started, having a real job and not just being an intern kind of sucks but have to start a career sometime

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast