Archery Talk Forum banner

Team 6 - Cluck Dynasty

7K views 152 replies 12 participants last post by  nanuke22 
#1 ·
Congratulations! Here is your team for the 9th Annual Archerytalk Turkey Contest! Please begin by signing in and having 1 member send a PM to each of the remaining members advising them of what team they are on with a link to this thread. Use this thread for discussion purposes including posting trail camera pictures, discussing tactics, etc. Discuss among yourselves a team name and have your team come to a majority. Once a team name is chosen, have one of your teammates post it in the Team Name Registration thread. Please keep your team in the loop as the season goes on. Hunt smart and have a safe and successful season! Good luck to each and every one of you!

12-Ringer
BowTechForever
Chupacabra
huskyarcher
Jtrader
KimberTac1911
ksjim
nanuke22
wipy
Wv helium

#3 ·
Hey guys! Checkin in! Youth day can't come soon enough

#5 ·
Yo-yo...checking here from SE PA - we open the last weekend in April can only hunt until noon unti May 19, then we can hunt the entire day. We also cannot hunt in Sunday's.

I am really looking forward to this spring as I lost my entire fall hunting season last year, when my Summit broke on 10/21/13; here a thread I started....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2116248

I have been hitting the PA hardwoods pretty hard this late winter/early spring, searching for sheds and rehabing my ankle...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2183775&page=3

I will be doing what I can to get my 10-year old on a bird this spring. I am not sure if he will go with his Infinity Edge or the crossbow, likely the crossbow, but he is really anxious this year. We had a few close encounters last year and he has been hooked.

We need to get some team names going too....
Dawn Patrol
Gobbler Getters
Beard Busters
Spur Collectors

Doesn't really matter to me, just thought I'd send a few ideas out...

I put together a little bio thread so that the member of our 2012 and 2013 deer teams could get to know each other a little, seemed to be a mild success so I thought why not....feel free to add something I may have missed....

Name: Joe Milnes
Hometown: Aston, PA (WMU 5D)
Occupation: Supervisor of Special Education Services for public school district
Family: wife-Laurie (13 years), Son- Tyler (10 years old), Daughter- Camille (8 years old)
Pets: Two German Shorthaired Pointers Sir Hunter Nose-A-Lot (Hunter), Little Miss Birdie Bell (Birdie)
Biggest Buck to date: (164 5/8" 11-point)
States hunting in 2014: PA, KS, IA, (maybe DE) - probably only hunting turkeys in PA
Other hobbies: building and running trail cams. Check it out www.the12-ring.com ($20 discount to any team member)

Nice to meet you all in advance,
Joe

#6 ·
Hey guys

Looks like just the 4 of us so far. I'll PM the other members who haven't checked in by tomorrow afternoon.

So, what's everyone's turkey experience like? Shot a bunch? Shot a few? Anyone trying to make it happen with a bow for the first time this Spring? Hunting public or private? Love to hear what everyone's gear of choice is too. Looking forward to getting to know everybody!

I couldn't possibly care less about a team name. Have fun with it!

Darrick

#7 ·
Checking in fellers! April 12th here in NC. Cant get here any faster, looking for my first bird with a bow.

Info-

Dalton Lewis
Age-21
Occupation-School, (Community college, soon to be Appalachian St. That is "achain", like scratchin, not flippin "aichain" like lace-in.) Youth director.
Pet Peeve- People that cant say Appalachian right. LOL
Team names: Cluck Dynasty

#8 ·
Cluck Dynasty has a bit of a ring to it....:tongue:

As far as experience, I have plenty....as far as harvests not so many - (4) spring birds., that's it. Lot's of could have, should have, would have(s), especially since I started with the bow, but it is what it is. I really enjoy calling and outwitting them, have called for other successful hunters and I would like to think they would have been my harvests, but I didn't shoot it, so I don't count it. I am typically huntign heavily pressured public land in Potter County or in and around Hickory Creek State Park. Could have easily taken a couple last year with a shotgun, but I had my GT with me and couldn't get a clear enough shot with the bow.

I have been fortuante that 2 of the 4 were nice PA Easterns, both over 20lbs and both with 11"+ beards and nice spurs in and around the 1" mark.

Here is a little clip from last year's youth hunt, I don't claim to be a photo/video editing guru and I was taking footage from 4 different cams and a cell phone AND the main camera man (my Pop) had the battery run out when those gobblers finally came into view. We didn't connect but the boys, especally my son, were hooked.......

don't strain yourself too hard, you'll hear the birds, but never really get a good look....

Funny thing, the next week I am driving to work and this what I encountered in the middle of the road. I didn't have any calls or cameras, so this is my voice and footage from my phone....GO FIGURE :confused:

Pulled a cam the other day and these guys were around locally, so there might be a good chance for a connection this year...

Score or not, you guys can definitely count on an A+ effort from me:wink:

Joe

#9 ·
hey im checking in from wisconsin. i have the third week in april here for my season. if there are any birds left after this winter here still over 2' of snow on the ground

#14 ·
im trying to get my second bird with a bow. Youth day here in PA is April 26. regular season is may 3rd. cat waiyt!
Wild turkey Turkey Galliformes Recreation Trophy hunting

7:07 am last year on youth day.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I hunt up by lake walkenpaupack.

#20 ·
How's it going guys checking in. Got about a month until season starts here. First 2 weeks til noon and last 2 weeks all day. Got the whole week off work for all day. Been seeing a lot of birds this winter. Will be mostly hunting by the house but I do have a weekend planned in southern ohio

#22 ·
Whats up killers, will be hunting NJ, PA and Kansas if I get some free time... Good luck to you guys!!

#23 ·
Checking in

Hey guys! This is mike. I currently live in kingwood, wv. I have two awesome places to hunt trukey this year. I also have the opportunity to hunt in two different counties so I hoping to score a big one for us this year. I can't wait to get started. Our season doesn't start till April 28 the and it's driving me crazy. Been practicing every chance I get. Thanks for having me on your team!

#24 ·
I will be hunting turkey with a bow. Only way to go. I will be using a mathews helim 65 lb draw, easton da torch arrows and thinking about using a ramcat broadhead with the blades reversed for added cutting power. Last year I shot a turkey with a 3 blade rage and it didn't expand so I think I will use a fixed blade this year. I will try to film my hunts this year also for video footage this year. I will be using a box call, a slate call, and a push button call. I would love to try a mouth call but I am allergic to latex. So far last year I was able to call in turkey's every time with the calls I have. I will probably use my avian turkey decoy. I have the feeder hen and it seemed to work very well. I thought about adding another decoy but I think I can bag one with just one decoy. Any tips you have would greatly appreciated. I will be out there every chance I get throughout the season.

#25 ·
I'm Darrick. I live in MN. Much as I love deer hunting, I love turkey hunting more. I switched from a gun to a bow about 7 years ago and never looked back. I use my same set up for turkeys that I use for deer. Shooting Slick Trick Mags with 57 lbs. off my Darton 2800. This year I picked up a Bullhead (w arrow) and I may try it. It shoots great. I like the idea of being able to guarantee that first bird goes down in range to increase the chance of pulling a double or triple if there's a group and they beat up on him after the hit. Got a gazillion calls of all kinds. Way too many really. But they all seem to have a use at one time or another. Got a few decoys but my DSD's are really the workhorses - especially for early season in the prairie states where they are often still in Winter flocks. I usually hunt out of a blind. I've shot a couple stalking, but it's tough and I got lucky. I'm renewing my goal from last year to take one over decoys, but without a blind and with my recurve. Last year conditions were tough so I never tried. Maybe this is the year. I'll make at least two trips west this Spring to fill the 3 NE tags and 2 SD tags I drew this year and I should have at least 2 WI tags. I might hunt MN late season, but this year I'm gonna have to do more work travel than normal in May so it's iffy. So, anyway, that's my deal...

If we were hunting seals we'd have a great name for the team, but I don't know that Turkey Team Six has the same ring to it.

#27 ·
Alright guys, let's get this name thing nailed down so we can be a proper team. Here's a list of all the names I've seen thrown out on the thread. Everybody please vote so we can register the name:

Spur collectors
Beard busters
Gobbler getters
Dawn patrol
Turkey Team Six
Cluck dynasty
Trash talking turkeys
Traveling turkeys

Cast your vote or feel free to write one in if you've got another idea or I missed one. Thanks!

Darrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.