Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Creed or Chill r?

7K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  BrokenLimbs 
#1 ·
I am going to get a new Mathews bow soon. I am just curious what everyone likes the best. I am either going to get the Chill R, Or the Creed. I am not getting the Creed xs as it has to short of a axel to axel hight. And I want good stability, because i am a tall guy.
Let me know what you like the best, and your reasons!
thank!

#4 ·
Shoot both. I shot a ton of bows and ended up with the Chill R because it fit me best. I liked the longer length over the Creed XS. I did really like the Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo but didn't think it was $500 better than the Chill R. Very happy with my bow.

#7 ·
I own both bows and have different applications for them. The ChillR is a ultra fast bow even at the 60#/28"dl I have it at( field and 3DAAA). It is way smother in the draw cycle then last years Chill, way smother then the Creed xs. that being said My Creed 70# 28"dl is my hunting rig and what I like to call my "dessert bow!" Smooth all the way through the draw from start to finish,nice wall and dead in the hand. Your also getting good speed from a solo cam. The Creed is the bow I can't get enough of!

#8 ·
Both are good and both need to be shot before you make up your mind. People will like small things about different bows based on personal preference. I shot the original Chill and the Creed last year and bought the Creed. Have not played with the new ChillRs yet.

#21 ·
This has been my experience as well. Tested both. To me the Creed is just a outdated bow. It was great in its day and is still a great bow but its just over shadowed but some BETTER bows. The ChillR will likley be my next Purchase. Still comparing the Chill R next the Bowtech Experince. Struggling with my choice.

#14 ·
I have both a Creed and Chillr. 28.5 x 70 lbs. creed and 28.5 x 64 lbs. chillr. Creed is my back up, but only because the chillr is new and we're still on our honeymoon. Either one is sweet for it's own reasons. If I were buying only one today; I'd go with the chillr because of it's longer a2a/string angle, it's quieter (IMHO), faster at a lower draw weight. That said, unless Mathews produces a longer a2a Creed, it'll be with me for the long haul like my Drenalin should have been.

#18 ·
I own both currently.

Creed. My go to hunting bow. Tree stand and blind use. Compact, quiet, and deadly accurate to 60 yds. I absolutely love the factory wood grip and wall. I have one con. If I don't concentrate on holding into the wall it will take off on me. .380 gr arrow at about 285fps.

ChillR. My long range bow. Stalking. Again quiet and deadly accurate. I can fire accurate groups to 100 yds. The valley is longer than the creed. The wall is also softer but is easy to transition from one bow to the other. No cons. Same .380 gr arrow shoots 309fps.

I say buy both if possible.

Edit. I wanted to add that both bows are dead in hand after the shot.

#27 ·
Every time I start shooting my Chill-R, I'm reassured I made the right choice. This bow has to be the "most fun to shoot bow", that I have ever owned!

Draw cycle is a dream. Valley is great IMO, the balance is good and the results are OUTSTANDING! I have about 500 shots through this bow in just one week, and I'm shooting it better than I've ever been able to shoot any new bow I ever owned. In fact, I shoot it at least as well as my other bow (Bear Carnage ~ also a "good shooting machine") after almost three years and thousands of (~5000) shots! (I think the Focus grip on the Chill-R must have something to do with this, the Carnage's only downfall IMO is it's grip.) Irrespective, 40 yards with this bow feels like 30 yards on the z7 that I recently traded in on this new bow.

#30 ·
Yep, and 700 shots later, still thinking the same. HOWEVER.... I must add the following with regards to the bow being "dead in the hand:"

It's a good thing I checked all the hex screws from Mathews. Had I not, the bow would have fallen apart! ("Dead in the hand" comes at a price aparently.) Almost every single hex screw that the factory put on the bow loosened up.... By loose, I mean VERY loose. String dampener flopping, roller screw very loose too. Only ones that remained tight were at/near the axles. If this happens again, I'm going to redo them w/loctite.

CHECK YOUR BOWS (even if they're quiet)

PS: Even with all these loose hex screws, the bow was still very quiet.

#29 ·
When I shot both of them at a local shop, I immediately fell for the Chill R. It felt a lot more comfortable and felt smoother. I believe they are both very good bows and you'd have to shoot them both yourself to decide which one you like best. My buddy got the Creed and he hated the Chill R so it's all personal preference. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.