Thread: shorter draw modules? string? Help?

shorter draw modules? string? Help?

Hey guys- I pulled the modules out of my AFX80 the other day, and they're marked E!!!!

But I wouldn't mind a shorter draw... In fact, I'd LOVE it. Anybody got my mods (I don't know which ones, just want one shorter than E) that they wanna swap for my Es?

Also- who should I see about a string? Mine went **KAPOW** today. I see 'em on eBay at 47", but I'm supposed to use a 47 1/8" string. Will that make a real difference?
    Orange Faktor 34, 30"/80#, 325 fps

If your AF is 48 tip to tip and you have E that suggests it is a medium draw if so you really cannot go any shorter with what you have. Meaning E is 28 to 29, F is 29 to 30 and G is 30 to 31 inch. To go shorter making it 27 to 28 you would need a couple of things a set of small cams, Orange Power Cables and Cop/Green Yoke Cables and C Draw Modules for 27 to 28, B would be for 26 to 27 and A would be 25 to 26 draw. If you only want 65% let off For a medium it is 12, 15 or 18 for a short 9, 42 or 39. This would be a way to get it shorter but the costs for s set of the small cams which are older ones and not what is used on the newer models gets pricey... The string length will stay the same 47 1/8. I am using an old spec sheet for the draw modules and cable colors...Hope they are the correct colors and info... As for a string maker the one I used is no longer in business and I have yet to find one that makes Oneida Strings with the double served loop ends Oneida required I contact several AT String makers and some never replied a few did and advised that don't make strings for Oneida's. Factory are okay but they are mainly black no custom colors. I would get the right length of 47 1/8. You should be able to find one maybe on eBay just contact a seller and see if he will make that length and maybe one with the colors and material you want. I have used Trophy and 452 plus materials that is what I prefer... Others will chime in what they use and who makes them. I still have a couple to hold me over for now...

LFM

Quote Originally Posted by LFM View Post
    If your AF is 48 tip to tip and you have E that suggests it is a medium draw if so you really cannot go any shorter with what you have. Meaning E is 28 to 29, F is 29 to 30 and G is 30 to 31 inch. To go shorter making it 27 to 28 you would need a couple of things a set of small cams, Orange Power Cables and Cop/Green Yoke Cables and C Draw Modules for 27 to 28, B would be for 26 to 27 and A would be 25 to 26 draw. If you only want 65% let off For a medium it is 12, 15 or 18 for a short 9, 42 or 39. This would be a way to get it shorter but the costs for s set of the small cams which are older ones and not what is used on the newer models gets pricey... The string length will stay the same 47 1/8. I am using an old spec sheet for the draw modules and cable colors...Hope they are the correct colors and info... As for a string maker the one I used is no longer in business and I have yet to find one that makes Oneida Strings with the double served loop ends Oneida required I contact several AT String makers and some never replied a few did and advised that don't make strings for Oneida's. Factory are okay but they are mainly black no custom colors. I would get the right length of 47 1/8. You should be able to find one maybe on eBay just contact a seller and see if he will make that length and maybe one with the colors and material you want. I have used Trophy and 452 plus materials that is what I prefer... Others will chime in what they use and who makes them. I still have a couple to hold me over for now...

LFM
    Thanks for the reply, LFM, but my bow is WAY over 29" draw. I'm thinking somewhere close to 32... Could it just be that far out of tune?
    Orange Faktor 34, 30"/80#, 325 fps

Cedar Hills makes a quality string for the Oneida bows. All of the bows I have rebuilt for the sanctuary have their strings. Here's his email, gwonder@comcast.net I am sure he can build the string you need at a price that's better than most. Ask him about colors, two tone or even three tone...
    Administrator for The DV Sanctuary, a non profit center supporting victims of Domestic Violence.
    Donations for sanctuary gladly accepted through PayPal = dvsanctuary@mail.com

I bought an AF a few months back that had the same issue, very long draw with e mod. Measured draw was 30 3/4. Cables were the wrong length despite the color matching the charts. I have no idea why. It is a 2000 model and I here there were some games being played to sell off the old stock as the transfer to Claude Pollington approached. Now it has slightly shorter than spec cables to get to about 27 in draw. Once they were installed I found the limbs were tilted forward too far and I had to twist the string down to 46 inches to get them parallel.

I am still puzzled seeing how you can get an AF with large cams if that is what you have down to 27 if it was 30 3/4 with E Modules E are good for either 28 to 29 for medium or 31 to 32 for a long w/ the larger Cams or other wise you would have an AF with the small cams and the E's don't work they would need to be A, B or C Modules and again slightly long or shorter cables sure possible but I cannot see cables that far different giving that much of a difference and Mosparky is saying he is not getting 27 they he now has the still wrong cables unless he had someone make him shorter to get it down because an E Module standard draw is 28 to 29. I again have a "custom" LFM which does not use the standard color cables because it has Med Aero Force Out Boards that are 1 inch long in the length of the curve of the so it requires slightly different length cables. And again some requested special cables to meet their draw and Oneida could have made them for that person as my LFM is being it is 46 Tip to tip and the string length was when I got it and the guy I got it from was knowledgeable Oneida Shooter had no idea it was not a "standard" LFM I realize this because when I get a bow I check it over and replace the string just to know it is okay. When I put the standard length string on it the bow was already draw back some and not like the several I had I put them next to the others I had and so I align the outboards and it was longer than a standard LF Outboard Limb. So I matched up to my Aero Force and it was the same so that is when I contacted CPO to see what a string could be and they had no idea why because they have never seen one built with these outboards. And years back some guys that were known to customize Oneidas & did similar things like this to get the draw to a slightly different length and one I contact that was around in Oneida Archery then suggested a string length and I had one made and it was wrong still I then sent the string out to a guy that made strings for Oneida's and he measured it and it was what was on the bow when I got it to get the right string length which is 45 .75 which again is all up to who customize the bow... Also you have to take in consideration is that others have gotten into making cables for Oneida's since they did not want to use the "factory" ones I know of 2 that do / done this so now maybe this is why some have variations in Oneidas for a reason or just for the new or original owner of that bow. This is why things look to have changed because if they have used Oneida Factory cables would be much closer but these days when some have other than them on the bow they have it is hard to know why you have something other than what was the Draw Standard for an Oneida. Again not sure how you are using a bow string on a AF that has a string length down to 46 when again a Short and a Medium Draw AF have a standard strung length of 47 1/8 I am again puzzled why you need to twist a string down to 46 if you have the factory standard length cables on the bow if it did not meet the Specs brace height of 6 7/8 to 7 1/8 and the measurement from the cams to the string top and bottom measurements because they need to be the same. So if you do have factory cables I would be contacting CP Oneida and asking them to measure the standard and then have them check their stock maybe they are not the right length. I have never had nor do I know how they measure the cable is it by overall length from one end to the other or is it the length of the cable that is used and then having the cable around the piece the clevis pin slides through I just have always bought the color coded cable which are either pwr Orange and yoke Cop/Green for a short draw AF or pwr Yellow and yoke Cop/Blue for a medium. So again it might be possible that Oneida Labs made an AF in 2000 as stated they did sell some bows just to unload old stock I had a LF that was sold to a dealer and his son got what he and they tough was a LFM when I got it it was not an LFM because the riser did not have the beveled riser design but a flat riser where the rest attaches to. I sold that LF to a bowfisherman that was looking for an low cost Oneida. That is why I learn how to ID a LFM being the riser design and the wood grip has a screw that holds it in place while a LF is fiction fit grip.

SO again there are others that made cables not saying that Oneida Labs did not goof it up but since others now make them hard to know as well as some customizing bows anything could be the cause but most should know this unless the person is the second or third owner that might have no idea what they have and it might have worked for them or have no idea what the specs are for it just used the bow and now sold it thinking it is a spec bow when it is not... Hard to know since these models have not been made in years possible 14 or longer... Something has changed them and again I would be contacting CPO to get to know how to measure these cables and check the ones on the bow in question if you can remove them and know how to put them back on. The stock I have of cables are both from CPO as well as a past employee of Oneida Labs/ CPO he sold his stock off once he decided to get out of doing service on the ones he had and sold his Oneida's off he had several I used and got a deal on them and he was known as a Oneida Tech and did the Tech Tape that was out for the AF & LFM years ago so I think they are the spec cables for medium AF's and LFM's since that is most what I have except a Super Short Aero Force that has 1 inch shorter Outboards a nephew currently shoots...

LFM

My cables are custom and just slightly off the factory length. When I got the bow, I checked it over pretty good. outters matched what should be AF med/short, powers matched, cams measured as meds, even the string was right. Cable colors were right. Draw came up way longer than expected. I know these bows have been around awhile and there are lots of folks having them customized. That opened the door to suspect the cables were not original. I have no idea why the ends had been repainted but they measured wrong. I had custom cables made that would rotate the cam just a bit, thereby shortening the draw an extra inch, due to my use of a release aid. My brace at that point was very low and the limbs were tilted forward with the stock string. Once I twisted the string down to get the limbs parallel the brace was perfect. The geometry of these bows gets a bit much for my mind.
    I agree that things just don't seem to add up and make no since, but I quit trying to understand why the measurements don't make since, long as it fits and does what I want.
    I guess it's possible the shorter cables are preloading the powers a bit thereby creating the need for the shorter string.

I try and stick with the spec factory parts that way there is no questions as to why some are having issues but again over time some have went with cables made by others right or not that is maybe why some bows are out of what was the standard / spec for the bow. And some change them and no one knows this till it has changed hands a few times and now the new owner has an issue to having the draw work for them.

I would contact CP Oneida and see if they would give out the cable lengths and measure them for the model you have and see if the ones on the bow are correct ones. Or if they won't just buy the cables you need and go from there and install them and see if it is close to spec as to draw length and will work for you... That would be my suggestion if there is any questions as to the right draw range of the bow...

I have yet to have this but it is possible since 2 have mentioned this...

LFM

You need to install draw stops to set your draw length. The modules only give you where the valley and the let off happens. They do not affect draw lenght.

Okay, but I have never used Draw Stops on Any of my Oneidas, been shooting Oneidas since 1995 and really don't see a need for them I don't need a solid back wall. I draw and when my anchor point is made I am good to go but I am a Bow Hunter and sometimes moving around to get a shot slightly changes my draw set up so having a back wall is not needed at least for me. As I have posted it seems that some are getting bows with none spec cables whether they are slightly too long or too short and that seems to be what some are finding when they get a medium draw range bow and it can go to 32 inch draw and not just up to 31. I guess that is what happens when others now are making cables for Oneidas...

LFM