a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Blazer vanes for target shooting

Blazer vanes for target shooting

I was just wondering, are the 2 inch or 1.5 inch Blazer vanes any good for shooting FITA? Many have recommended Kurly vanes and the like, but I'm not certain they're worth putting on an arrow that isn't a high quality target arrow. So what about the Blazers? What are your thoughts and/or recommendations?

I can't recall how much the blazers are, but if you don't want to hassle with the fragile spin wings, spin vanes, kurly vanes or K spinners, get some 187 shield cut Flex Fletch. They are the most durable thing going. I use them on my field arrows-so did Joe M and John Magera (Limbwalker) uses them too. I have shot my best 4 fitas with K spinners but I had a near 1200 with FF ACE's a year ago and that is a very good score for me
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

I shoot Flex fletch

Over the past couple months I've been shooting 1 3/4" Flex Fletch vanes on an ACE 620 shaft. I shoot 90 grn ss points with G nocks... Length from tip to nock groove is 29". I shoot G3 36# limbs at this 29" draw. Gives me 38# on the fingers.

I do not know why but I find that I shoot better groups with these vanes as apposed to shooting spin wings. Perhaps it is all in the tuning of the bow?

I also find installing these vanes more accurate than installing the spin wings.

Tom
    Last edited by massman; August 30th, 2005 at 12:14 PM.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but may I add a question: is there a formula for matching vane size to arrow type? Now that I have to fall back to my old Vapors 2000s for awhile (because JOAD camp enlongated my draw), I need to refletch them with vanes. Would the FF187s work for these?

Thanks!

Artemis, probably would work - especially if out of a compound.

VG, I'm assuming you're talking outdoor FITA stuff (not the 18m or 25m indoor rounds)? If so, I'd suggest going with the 187 FF as well. Much lower profile I believe than the Blazers and I don't think you want a high profile vane if you have a chance you may be shooting in any kind of wind. You could always consider the 2.25" FF shield cut vanes if you prefer something a little longer but still having a relatively low profile.

Couple thoughts anyways..........

>>----->

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I'm mostly interested in the outdoor FITA stuff. I've ordered up some FF 187's to give them a try. Would these not work well for indoor shoots. Is there a particular standard that one should adhere to when selecting the proper fletching for arrows? Short and low for outdoor and long and tall for indoor? At my current skill level I'm sure it's not going to make much of a difference, but it'd be nice to know for the future.

Here is my personal preferences...

I like to shoot vanes outdoors. Vanes because shooting only 38# on my fingers I need an arrow with min resistance to reach the 90m distance. I also shoot vanes outdoors because they are less effected by weather.

Indoors shooting only 20 yrds max. I can get away with shooting a large shaft with feathers. I prefer feathers indoors because I shoot a one spot target and feathers help me stabilize my arrow quickly. They can also be shot together in close groups with minimal damage to the feather. Even a slightly damaged feather will group.

I find that a damaged vane will not group all that well. Especially at longer distances.

Tom

i know that this is may odd... i shoot recurve FITA... i use quick spins.. 1.5......... they work the best for me..... and group nice.. i have tried flex fletch.. K vanes curlys.. all of them and the more and more i shoot these i love them... not many people here on the WC shoot them out of a recurve, but i like them.
    -Tom

What kind of arrows are you using the Flex Fletch 187's on? Will these be too small to use on Beman ICS Energy 410's? Would the 2.25 or the 3.10 be a better choice for these arrows? The reason I'm asking is that I wasn't sure if you were putting these are the smaller diameter arrows such as the Navigator or X10s. I have some FF187's, but they just seemed a little small on the shaft. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about how effective various size vanes are at stabilizing an arrow.