Thread: Newbie needs help with correct arrows for Samick Sage.

Newbie needs help with correct arrows for Samick Sage.

Ok, a little back story... I'm new to archery, no experience with compound or recurve bows. My kids originally wanted to start shooting
    and I thought this would give us the opportunity to spend more time together. I've decided to get a 45# Samick Sage, read nothing but
    good reviews on this bow. I'm trying to decide what bows to get for them, compound or recurve T/D so input on that would be appreciated
    as well. But I need advice on what arrows to get, I honestly have no idea. I'm 6"4 about 270 and I have a 30" draw. Mainly going
    to be target shooting in the back yard but would like something I could use hunting if I decided to start.I'll probably put a rest on it
    and sites, I know this is not truly traditional but I'll need all the help I can get, lol. Again, I know nothing about this, spine, grains, weight,
    all of this is greek to me so I need as much help as I can get from the people in the know here. I'm ordering from Twig Archery today,
    so I thought I'd check with you guys first. Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

According to the suggestions of archery instructors first bow weight should be 25 or less. More than enough for the backyard but also not hard enough to learn the technique. My kids were shooting 16 and 20 pounders @ the club, but instructor downweighted them by 4 pounds so that they could focus on doing it right rather than keeping the string.

By the way, if you kids have never draw a bow, 45 may be way too much for FUN.

SAWilson-I'd recommend a 35lb Samick Journey for you, and Samick Polaris/Sages for the kids. The journey is a longer bow which will prevent stacking at your DL, and isn't much more expensive than the Sage. As mentioned above, a 45lb recurve is not a good weight to begin on. I was new to archery last year and began on a 35lb recurve and that was barely light enough for me to learn proper form. You can certainly start at a heavier weight, but it would be very detrimental to your learning curve. As far as arrows go, get aluminum and NOT wood to learn on. I got 12 wood arrows to learn on when I began and had them all shattered/broken within the first 3 months because wood is not forgiving to a beginner. Aluminum is inexpensive and more durable. Twig archery sells Easton Jazz/Blues I believe which are inexpensive. John over at Twig is very knowledgable and will get you set up right. I recieved my bows from them and couldn't of been happier with the service I recieved. Hope all this helps!
    Samick Polaris 30#
    Samick Sage 35#
    Pluviophile- A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind in the rain.
    Nemophilist- One who is fond of forest or forest scenery; a haunter of the woods.
    Bibliophile- A lover of reading, one who is fond of books.

I'm in the same boat as you SAWilson. I've never shot a bow and just bought a Sage with 35# limbs myself. I'm planning on just getting some cheap arrows at Dick's Sporting Goods to start out...can always get better ones later.

AlexWV- Be sure that whoever you guy arrows from knows their stuff. When I first bought my Sage, I went to Bob Wards and explained I was new to traditional archery and needed to get some arrows. They set me up with thier "traditional guy", who promptly sold me a half dozen 32" Carbon Storm 60/75's with plastic vanes and 175 grain field tips. I walked out of that store thrilled with my arrows, and it wasn't until months later(with no decent grouping) that I came to understand that those arrows were tremendously wrong for my 35lb Sage. Now a year later I know what kind of wood, aluminum, or carbon arrows I want and REFUSE to give my business to Bob Wards, ordering online instead.

Just as an FYI, for my 35lb Samick Sage, I have found that 30" 1816 Easton Aluminum arrows with 125grain tips fly well.

Samick Polaris 30#
    Samick Sage 35#
    Pluviophile- A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind in the rain.
    Nemophilist- One who is fond of forest or forest scenery; a haunter of the woods.
    Bibliophile- A lover of reading, one who is fond of books.

I too found the Easton 1816 aluminums are almost perfect for my 40# Sage, I shoot 7 days a week 1 hour a day. 72 arrows a day since mid July, no bent arrows, fletching has held up, still deadly accurate.