Thread: Great feature for women bowhunters.

Great feature for women bowhunters.

Thought I would share this awesome feature with the other ladies out there. My new Martin Alien has 3 sight mount holes. I don't know about you but on every other bow I've had I've had to just about bottom out my sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kewl!
    2014 HOYT Carbon Spyder 30 AP Snow Camo, HHA Optimizer, Limbdriver Pro V purple arms, Easton bowfire 480 purple and white vanes, Grim Reaper, Stokerized purple/snow camo
    Excalibur Matrix 330* 18" Diablo, Varizone scope

Got Archery? Then you got Game!

Quote Originally Posted by shel74 View Post
    Thought I would share this awesome feature with the other ladies out there. My new Martin Alien has 3 sight mount holes. I don't know about you but on every other bow I've had I've had to just about bottom out my sight.
    I know I just don't get it...I've got a 27 inch draw and pull 47lbs. and with my 3-D arrow I'm getting in the high 270's on speed, but my sights are like yours almost bottomed out...Daughter is the same way same poundage but 28 inch draw...
    2014 Carbon Spyder 30 Vicxen Series....

This is my sight now with 20, 30, 40 and 50. Incredibly happy with it, I've never been able to use all my pins with my other bows.
    25.5 draw 49#
    image.jpg

i have been showing my wife how to sight in her first bow here recently and was worried about the sight going so low when trying to set the 20 yard pin as high as possible in the housing so she could have room for all 5 pins. We went to get her some lighter arrows and guy at the shop said might be the rest. glad i seen that it is common she's shooting like 45 lbs. not to jack the thread but what brand and weight arrow are you ladies using for hunting around 45-50#.
    Mine ~ '13 Hoyt Spyder Turbo Blackout ~ Hogg Father ~ TT Smackdown Pro ~ Carbon Blade ~ FMJ ~ Spot Hogg Wiseguy
    Wife's ~ '14 Hoyt Charger Vicxen Blackout ~ Fuse Helix ~ TT Smackdown Pro ~ TR Static ~ Gold Tip ~ Spot Hogg Wiseguy

Not being able to adjust the sight low enough could also, and commonly does, have something to do with your peep sight being too low. I see it all the time where I work. People anchor super high because they think that you should just anchor naturally when they first start out. The problem with that is that since they are just starting out, they don't have any form so it all feels the same. Typically for the ladies, I'll set their peeps a little lower than for the men even. I make sure that their knuckle, where their index finger and hand meet, is under their ear lobe and behind their jaw. It's a great anchor and is low enough to start your arrow out on a better trajectory so that you can use your whole sight. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....kind of. For ladies I put their knuckle even lower and behind the jaw. I put a star where I have them anchor. If you can imagine, that knuckle will be just beneath the ear lobe without having to smash the ear.
    Ulmer Anchor 2.jpg
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

Quote Originally Posted by bowguy357 View Post
    i have been showing my wife how to sight in her first bow here recently and was worried about the sight going so low when trying to set the 20 yard pin as high as possible in the housing so she could have room for all 5 pins. We went to get her some lighter arrows and guy at the shop said might be the rest. glad i seen that it is common she's shooting like 45 lbs. not to jack the thread but what brand and weight arrow are you ladies using for hunting around 45-50#.
    yeah on my old bows I would have to measure to make sure I wasn't going to hit vanes on the sight!
    I shoot the Ted Nugent Gold Tip 3555.
    Love my Martin Alien!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    Not being able to adjust the sight low enough could also, and commonly does, have something to do with your peep sight being too low. I see it all the time where I work. People anchor super high because they think that you should just anchor naturally when they first start out. The problem with that is that since they are just starting out, they don't have any form so it all feels the same. Typically for the ladies, I'll set their peeps a little lower than for the men even. I make sure that their knuckle, where their index finger and hand meet, is under their ear lobe and behind their jaw. It's a great anchor and is low enough to start your arrow out on a better trajectory so that you can use your whole sight. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....kind of. For ladies I put their knuckle even lower and behind the jaw. I put a star where I have them anchor. If you can imagine, that knuckle will be just beneath the ear lobe without having to smash the ear.
    Makes sense since ladies hands tend to be smaller. I think part of the reason too is before the last few years women's bows were just mini men's bows and didn't have the flexibility to adjust to the shorter, lighter needs.
    Love my Martin Alien!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    Ulmer Anchor 2.jpg
    I agree, this is most likely the cause, too high of an anchor point. I see it all the time even with men and higher poundage bows.

Try to get a lower anchor point, move peep up to correct place and then adjust sight. Raising the peep will enable you to raise your sight housing. Yes, lighter arrows will help a little but with a lower anchor you will see instant results.
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

Quote Originally Posted by bowguy357 View Post
    Ladies I shoot with are shooting 45 lbs using Easton axis 500s
    Praesto et Persto

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Ladies I shoot with are shooting 45 lbs using Easton axis 500s
    Me too, 45,lbs at 28" draw and I shoot 500,spine VAPS.
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

I shoot the black eagle challengers for 3d and the black eagle carnivores for hunting. I'm shooting 50#

2014 Elite Spirit, QAD Ultra Hdx Rest, CBE , Truball Sweet Spot 2, Black Eagle Challengers, Bohning Vanes
    Member of Black Eagle, Bohning, and Truball Prostaff