a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Do I need a bow press to change draw length?

Do I need a bow press to change draw length?

Hi,

I want to play around with my draw length and for that to happen I need to reposition the module.
    Do I NEED a bow press for this or can I use some other method?

Thanks, Q
    '14 OK-Archery Smoke, Limb driver Pro-V, HHA DS-5510
    '12 Elite Hunter, QAD HDX, Black Gold Rush

Carter Target 4+, Gold Tip XT Hunter, FOB's, Accunocks

It depends on the bow, some have rotating moduals others need to be pressed to adjust them and some you have to change the modual out for a different size.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

I have the smoke with Medium cams and #7 modules

I was told from a dealer that's it not necessary but it's easier if you press it some as it relieves the pressure from the cables making it easier to rotate the modual.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

My smoke is the same setup and if you look at the mods you can see the cables are putting pressure on the mods when the bow is at rest, so I used my press to take the pressure off then rotated the mods to where I wanted to try them. I don't think I would want to try it by forcing the mod into place but it might be possible to back out the limb bolts enough to relieve most of the tension off the cables allowing the switch, but not sure about that.

Mike
    Shutup and Shoot!

Yes it EZer to with a press

I dont see how it could be done without a press.
    Mark
    OK Archery DST 36, Davis Sight System and scope, CARBOFAST 28"/12" Black-X, Hamskea drop away blade, DCA Target w/pin nocks, T.R.U. Ball Absolute ST, Scott Longhorn Pro Brass, Stan Element
    Use code "Mark69" for 10% off at www.deercrossingarchery.com

Q,
    I pressed my Smoke to move the mods. I'm with Mark...don't think I would want to do it without pressing it.

Gary
    OK Archery Smoke

I figured... a bow press it is then

Thanks

synunm rope press? The price tag is not over killed, you can put in your pocket and do adjustments on the go....
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

I might even buy me one... a cheapo one. Hunor Archery has one for USD 390 and I would be supporting the local economy too

I'm not sure about that Synunm Rope Press... I think it's expensive @ USD 180 and would it even be safe on a parallel limb bow?

Quote Originally Posted by qpush View Post
    ................I'm not sure about that Synunm Rope Press... I think it's expensive @ USD 180 and would it even be safe on a parallel limb bow?
    I am pressing my DST's with it.......and my two Barnsdale's.....
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

I use the Synunm also, no problems on my 36 and fits in my tool kit.
    Mark
    OK Archery DST 36, Davis Sight System and scope, CARBOFAST 28"/12" Black-X, Hamskea drop away blade, DCA Target w/pin nocks, T.R.U. Ball Absolute ST, Scott Longhorn Pro Brass, Stan Element
    Use code "Mark69" for 10% off at www.deercrossingarchery.com

DST40 was no problem to change DL a bit. Just make sure you have the 2 holes lined up else you might f.. u.. the screws
    so if you have a press - use it :-)
    Please take note that because of the rising prices of the arrow manufacturers I can do no more warning shots !

Does anyone know if the Bowmaster portable bow press is safe to use with the DST 38? I have the split limb adaptors too if that's any help. I'm really concerned about using it.

http://www.prototechind.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJnK View Post
    I dont see how it could be done without a press.

Loosen top pivot screw in mod
    remove the screw where the mod adjust
    squeeze the cables towards the limbs ( one hand ) , while maintaing pressure on the mods with two fingers ( other hand ), mod will " break free " rotate into position - incert screw making sure both mods are in line -

if the screw is behind the limbs , simply block the cam with an allen key or dowel rod -

Bowmaster portable bow press is safe to use with the DST 38? YES , but its a pain

On a DST (shoot-trough) cable system, for smaller changes / adjustements of draw length,
    you do not need a bow press, just pull one cable to relax it's pair.
    For larger changes (module repositioning) you may need a press to relieve the cable pressure on
    the module before adjusting the module.

I have actually managed to change modules without a press so it is not impossible.
    However, it is much, MUCH easier with a press and I would recommend using one whenever possible.