Archery Talk Forum banner

Energy 32 'jumping' after QAD install - Help

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  DDawg 
#1 ·
I recently bought a brand new Energy 32. After shooting one at the shop, I loved the draw cycle and rock solid back wall.
However, after having the peep and QAD HDX rest installed, mine now feels jumpy. Not nearly the comfortable let off I felt prior. The guys at the pro shop tweaked some things but it still doesn't feel right.
The string to the drop away rest is as tight as a guitar string at full draw. Is it supposed to feel that tight? Could that be causing the 'jump'?

#3 ·
Nah, its the restcord that is to short or attached to far up on the cable!
It makes the cabel "shorter" and puts a few pounds extra to the draw-weight and puts the sync slighty off, the bottom limb and cam will hit the drawstop just a little earlier than the top...and makes the bow jumpy...my fall-awayrest rise to top when my bow enters the valley, my cord is attached 5 centimeters under the stringstop and it works very well.

#4 ·
Well, I went back to the shop and I have to admit I was a little puzzled by their 'solution'. Basically I was told that the loss (or drastic reduction) of your valley is a the sacrifice for having a drop away rest.
This is a brand new Elite branded QAD HDX and frankly it would really surprise me if Elite would brand a rest that negatively impacts the draw cycle they are so famous for.
In the end, they adjusted the cord higher up on the cable which gave it a little bit more slack (and really didn't do much for the jumpiness) but now they say I am going to be sacrificing accuracy......frustrating to say the least.
As an experiment I shot one of their new ones off the shelf and then mine and it is still a very noticeable difference. The guys at the shop are not very helpful and seem to have nothing more to offer. Not sure where to go from here.

#10 ·
Well, I went back to the shop and I have to admit I was a little puzzled by their 'solution'. Basically I was told that the loss (or drastic reduction) of your valley is a the sacrifice for having a drop away rest.
This is a brand new Elite branded QAD HDX and frankly it would really surprise me if Elite would brand a rest that negatively impacts the draw cycle they are so famous for.
In the end, they adjusted the cord higher up on the cable which gave it a little bit more slack (and really didn't do much for the jumpiness) but now they say I am going to be sacrificing accuracy......frustrating to say the least.
As an experiment I shot one of their new ones off the shelf and then mine and it is still a very noticeable difference. The guys at the shop are not very helpful and seem to have nothing more to offer. Not sure where to go from here.
They don't know what they're talking about/they don't know how to set the rest up properly. The QAD should not come into the full upright position until the last 1/2" or less of the draw cycle. Any earlier and it will out too much tension on the launch chord. These rests are very simple to set up and are not complicated at all.

#5 ·
Ok, and their are right, everything that installs on the bow does have an affect, smaller or bigger!
But a correct installed fallaway should just affect the draw very little, if any at all.
heres what i would do:
*first, call etite-support and explain your situation, im sure they can help you out!
If you want to try on your own:
*first do what Tug08 said, move the drawstops out as far as you can.
and than draw the bow...iif it still feels off..
*then check the specs of the bow, ata, brace ,camsync.
*if all is good but you still feel that its not right then you have to try rotate the cams forward or backwards, note that elite says that when you have the specs right then the cams are in their sweetspot!
if you dont know how to do this than my advise is, dont do it yourself, find someone who can show you how to do it!;)

#8 ·
The drop aways will change the feel of the bow a bit

Every e35 and 32 I have shot/ pulled. (10-12) all feel different then no rest

THe draw changes a tad

#9 ·
I would take the string clamp off and see how the bow feels.
I run my string clamp 3" to 4" below the rest. Start off with
it a bit high and just keep taking the clamp down a bit at a
time until the lines are inline with each other. Mine has
very little tension on the HDX cable, works 100%.
Jezz. (UK)

#11 ·
Nicko is dead on right. Timing launcher full upright as late as possible gives the least amount of tension on the down cable and the best feeling valley. The only downfall is if you creep before the shot. If you always shoot from the wall the full upright can be timed to the last 1/8" of the draw, but if you creep at all the rest may not drop. I set mine now at 1/2" and it always works perfectly and my valley feels like it's not affected.

#15 ·
Sounds to me they don't know how to tune the bow or set up a qad correctly. Putting a properly set up hdx on a bow will not mess up the draw of the bow. I've set up several hdxs on the elites with zero problems. Timing on the qads is very important as is the cord tie in location. I say tie in because I hate the clips.

#16 ·
Rest cord is definitely too tight. As mentioned above, you will want the launcher arm coming up to 90 degrees in the last 1/2" of draw cycle. When the QAD is set up correctly on an Elite, you will not feel any difference in DL, valley and/or letoff.

#17 ·
Nicko and a couple others nailed it. My QAD had zero effect on my valley, let off, or draw cycle. They are very easy to set up right.

It is amazing to me how many bow shops are absolutely clueless when it comes to setting up a bow. Guess that is why I learned years ago to do everything myself on my bows.

#18 ·
Had the same kind of issues and shoot only limb driver pro or pro v very easy to tune and will not be pulling on your down cable allowing you to relax a lot more without it trying to take off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.