Archery Talk Forum banner

Which stabilizer is to get?

• Crown Carbon Stabilizer Set

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • W&W Sebastian Flute Velocity Stabilizer Set (30", 11")

Votes: 13 76.5%
58K views 440 replies 174 participants last post by  guidoTRX 
#1 ·
hand held ir wrist release ?

I am using a hardcore wrist release to shoot with now but gave been thinking about going to the four finger hand held version with rotating head or should I just stay with what I have ? I guess my question is I've had guys tell me I'll get better groups with hand held is this true...

#61 ·
SureLoc IconX 400

Good evening guys, after much debate, I've ordered a SureLoc IconX 400 from Eders Archery ($100+ less than everywhere else). My questions are: what is a good sight tape to use? And what are some suggestions on overall use of the sight? I've never owned a Sure Loc before, been a CBE guy my entire shooting career.

Gear specs:

Hoyt Pro Edge 29" draw/60 lbs
Sure Loc IconX 400 w/ SL S2 scope (.019 green)
LimbDriver Micro adjust limb attached fall away rest
Bee stinger 20" windbar
Bee stinger 10" backbar
Scott Backspin tension release
Gold Tip X-Cutter Pro @ 27.5" (HD pin nocks)
150 gr. 3D nockbusters
Easton Tite Flight 1.75" vanes

Most of my shooting is indoor 3D.

Also, what other accessories can I get to optimize the performance of my setup? A sight light? Never been a big lens guy, tried a 4x once in my tek target.

#62 ·
Can't help you. I've have 3 Sure Loc Challengers and a Supreme, none of which I use a sight tape. The narrow band where the sight tape would go is something to consider on these. How the IconX is I don't know.

I use a "transfer sheet" that corresponds to the scale on these Sure Locs. Approved by ASA, I don't need to cover my scale as there is no marks indicating yardage. By my transfer sheet, to example, I dial in 28.07 on the scale for 25 yards - grid line 28 plus 7 clicks. I can dial in to the exact yard from 15 yards out to 54 yards. Program is free, Xsight by Richard Brown, can be found with Google. Program will print sheet or sight tape and in colors of your choosing.

#67 ·
I use the same program as Sonny and really like it. I feel I can be more precise as I shoot marked yardage and my rangefinder goes down to 1/10ths on yardage. As a side note, this program will also calculate and print a yardage tape too. You have to tape it on the sight vs. printing on an Avery label like other programs but it is accurate as well. Good luck!

#64 ·
My -3- Sure Loc Challengers are old and quality second to none, work like new and they have been used much. Some one would shell some bucks before I'd even think to sell.
Sure Loc was sold sometime after the originator, Steve Gibbs, passed away and quality said iffy, but once more said top notch. Customer service has always been good that I know of.
Buying from Classifieds, make sure you get all that comes with the sight, 3rd axis block, plate/block that allows head to move so to fit any bow for windage and mounting plate. Actually, it should come in it's own plastic case with paper information.

#65 ·
I have the iconx and to be honest I'm not happy with it.
I seems to loosen up after shooting a while in random places.
Several times I've noticed my shooting was "off", and realized the sight had come loose.
I took it apart and applied locktite to most of the adjustment screws and that seems to help.
But now I don't trust it and find myself tapping on it to see it if has come lose again.

#66 ·
no-one can answer your sight tape question. there are far too many other factors that affect the gaps in the yardage marks to be able to say what tape to use. you have to establish that for yourself, by ing at a few accurately known distances and then compare the marks for those distances to a set of tapes and pick the one that matches the marks you made.

#68 ·
I don't know if I ever put it in this forum, but I use the Richard C. Brown Xsight program. It's free, just Google. It will print a sheet for yardage and grid line and clicks or print a sight tape. "Sheet" is deceiving. Cut down it is the size of credit card. You have to shoot in 3 distances, 15 yards and two others of longer ranges. Feed in, you press calculate and print. Down side, it only gives 15 thru 54 yards. Every yard from 15 yards thru 54 yards. The program is as accurate as you are. I normally use more than 3 distances and out to 35 yards, 40 being better. I have pin point accuracy for distance and that my max yardage in ASA is 40 yards I don't have a problem. The program has options of the sight frame, like 20 clicks per revolution. You use the grid lines of the sight frame scale and number of clicks of the height adjustment.
Of the credit card, to example; If you want 25 yards you dial in 28.07, grid or scale line 28 plus 7 clicks of the height knob.

I have on occasion sighted in for the program inside at our indoor range, 15 yards, 25 yards and 30 yards, 33 yards if I get up against the wall. This gave enough accuracy for most 3D clubs I've shot at, most have limits of 45 yards. I did once win a novelty shoot of 53 yards. It was said the range finder gave 51 yards (if I remember correctly), but those who shot 51 yard said it was longer. I dialed in 53 yards and broke 2 of 3 2" orange clay discs.

What I like, no measuring, no velocity, no weight of arrow and whatever. Picture is bigger than actual. I have one of them plastic thingamajigs, seals so no wetness gets to the paper. Color options available for sheet and sight tape.

Attachments

#71 ·
I would get a sure lock scope, they are affordable and well built. Then if you decide to get a lens you can later, they have a cheap version and a break the bank version.

As far as a sight tape just download the TaPeS program for 15 bucks and be done it. I can help you learn how to use it and I have figured out how to easily do it without struggling. It is also easy to make waterproof ones once you get it just right.

#72 ·
HBC hinge

I just received my new HBC hinge and am very impressed with its performance. I am by no means very well educated on hinge releases but this one works well for me. I have only shot the hot shot extacy before and hated it. I could not get consistent shots with it.

I took the HBC out of the package and never changed a thing . It felt super smooth from the word go.

I blank baled probably 30 shots then set up a target made some small adjustments from my target 4. The shot a scoring round. I wasn't at the same scores as normal but felt very good. Just had a couple big fliers.

In the end I removed the thumb peg, and am very pleased.

#73 ·
I just saw your post and after reading it I saw some red flags that told me that you would benefit from talking with me about getting a plan that you can follow so that your hinge shooting can progress properly. The fact that you shot a few blank bales and then shot a scoring round is a big problem in the long run with having things in order so that you can progress and not hit walls of frustration. I can help you with set up and firing of the hinge and some drills to keep you on track if you want. Just pm me.

#76 ·
This is another Gen Pop question. Basically, shoot your preference--time on the line will determine which you're most comfortable with and which serve your shooting best.

#77 ·
This is another Gen Pop question. Basically, shoot your preference--time on the line will determine which you're most comfortable with and which serve your competition arena (FITA/Field/3D/Indoor, etc) best.

#78 ·
It seems that the original poster is seeking advice from intermediate to advanced competition archers about equipment they utilize for a specific discipline, so it would seem appropriate to ask that here rather than in the general forum.

The elitist attitudes do really detract from the purpose of "Archers Helping Archers".

#80 ·
Thanks for the efforts.

This is not a general pop question !!! I am asking specifically about indoor arrows for competition shooting. I am returning to competitive shooting after a long break and I have shot G-nocks in the past.

#86 ·
Wow! Ask 17 indoor target shooters and get 12 different answers. Years back, indoor league action, I used CX 300 Selects with standard CE nocks and won 10 weeks in a row in Bow Hunter Free Style. Can't remember year, but first ever Vegas face IAA Indoor Qualifier using 2413s and Easton standard bushings and nocks, 5th place. 2004 and 2005, 3rd place at the IAA Two Day Indoor Championships using CXL 2-250s and CXL nocks. ASA DAIR Indoor Qualifier, 1st place using CXL Pro 150s and CE pin bushings and Bohning pin nocks. Another ASA DAIR Indoor Qualifier, 1st place using HTA HT3s with HTA pin nock bushing and Bohning nocks.
So there you go, 4 different nock set ups.

#82 ·
OK, so what ? Someone else asked the question on the General Forum, great, they wanted general input. The original poster has stated he wanted input from indoor competition shooting archers, and so he asked it here.
Please stop declaring yourself the arbiter of what questions are and are not proper to post in this forum. There are official moderators for this, aren't there ? If you see something you believe does not belong, why not PM the moderator and let them decide, instead of repeatedly giving your opinion that the question does not belong. I see you have done this over and over. Do you not understand that you are being condescending to the parties posting the question, potentially discouraging them not only from continued participation in the AT forums, but from competition archery as well?

#83 ·
1) Stay on topic
2) Members are encouraged to give POLITE direction as to what they feel belongs here. Always have been.
3) This is a gear issue at best. The Official gear thread is where it belongs.
4) Members are allowed to disagree as to where something belongs. Keep it at that. Don't turn other threads into a new debate.
5) Stay on topic.

#84 ·
I agree with both of the posts I was initially turned off on this forum by such comments but decided the value both gained and shared was worth it . Others are much more thin skinned and we must strive to be inclusive after all if no one plays the game first is also last

#87 ·
For the price easton makes some awesome aluminum shafts X27 or X23 depending on the game. X23 are legal everywhere X27 not legal for FITA indoor game.

#90 ·
I have both Hardcore hook and a Ringer Release which is a hand held and prefer the hand held, less tension on the wrist is what I like.
Had a tendency to punch the trigger , went to hand held and had to learn to relax your hand thing w/Back tension to get it to fire, totally diferent than the wrist sling hook.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.