Thread: Oppinion On the Oneida Tomcat

Oppinion On the Oneida Tomcat

I am new to this forum and I figured if I was going to stick with this then I should enlist some help. I am somewhat new to archery. I have been shooting for several years now yet I have never managed to get my own bow. I have shot several recurves in weight from 25-35 and a few Compounds ranging from 50-70lbs. I am looking to get a bow of my own now and I have been doing my homework on many different brands. I intended to purchase a Diamond Outlaw, however I came across Oneida Bows and fell into the allure of their unique design. I fell in love with the Kestral however it is out of my price range. I am currently fallowing a Left handed Tomcat on ebay at the moment for around 120. The seller claims he had shot it recently and it held up but it may be in great need of repair. I figure for that price I could buy the bow then do a complete restore. I am a Mechanic that has experience with Cars and Motorcycles. Not that bows are anything like the latter, but I feel as though if I could learn those trades I hopefully can pick up bow maintenance and repair as well. My question are, if anyone has had experience with this Bow before, what are some pros and cons. anything I should be worried about, performance issue, options on what I can do to improve it or if I should just spend a little more money on a different bow? Also if anyone can give me material on possible instructions on maintenance, as it seems trying to hunt down any kind of guide for Oneida is like pulling a tooth. I may just be missing something and hopefully someone here can help me.

I like them they are a good bow. If you are a car guy and can figure stuff out without a book you are all set. You work on Oneidas with a bow press. I love that because I am always trying to do something different to mine. I think you should hold out for a T-III or a phantom they had a deeper cut out for the shelf and the K cams. (Phantom II X80 tomcat X80.) I think they are a cool looking bow. My wife has a mint Phantom I picked up off ebay. I made it short. I am still looking for one to make into a target bow. The only to look out for is one that has a bent riser. It happens. And stay away from bows used for bow fishing rigs. They get beat to hell. I have 7 eagles and 2 hoyts. Its a small addiction

I think Mr.CNC ment to say to work on oneidas without a conventional bow press. The bow press for an oneida is just simple blocks that you srew to a board. I got the measurements for the distance between blocks and screwed 2 2x4s to my garage wall and it works great. The only time it is needed is changing the string or adjusting the brace height. Just be careful buying an oneida chances are it will not be the only one you buy they are very addicting.

I have had to change strings at a 3d shoot before on the trail. when I was shooting all the time I kept a back up string that was set up in my pack. Down and dirty do it like a recurve, use 2 of the SME size screw driver handles, or you can back the lbs down if you are up over 65 lbs to do it . Before I got the eagle type "press" that is what I did.

I would echo CNC's comment about holding out for a TC X-80 or TC-III.

With a little patience, you can find them for about $150 that will not need any major maintenance. These bows are not hard to work on, but cables and strings can get expensive. Find one that won't require much for you to start shooting it and you'll be happier in the long run.

BTW, the difference between the K-cams on the bows we're recommending and the I-cams on the original TC, is that you get about 3-4" of DL adjustment via module changes on the K-Cams. You can also switch from 80% letoff to 65% letoff via the different modules. You don't get those options on the I-cam.
    It's never really finished.