Thread: Fall Away for Fingers

Fall Away for Fingers

Was watching a guy shooting a QAD fall away with fingers. I was impressed but would have never thought of a fall away with fingers.

When I set up my Reflex Extreme for finger class last year, I shot it for a while with the dropaway rest on it.
    The reason I did this was in case I decided not to keep shooting it with fingers.
    It actually shot pretty good.
    I did eventually buy and fit a Timberdoodle though.

Kev
    AlienX, Next camo, 63lbs, 405gr@270fps, for bigger game.
    AlienX, Black/Skullz 60lbs, 340gr@300fps, AlienX, Next Camo, 56lb, 304gr@300fps, for 3D
    2003 Hoyt Razortec XT2000 63lb, 360gr@275fps, for 3D and light game.
    2008 Parker Trailblazer XP/Hoyt cam 1/2 Frankenbow 62lb,
    Samick T/D Recurve 50lb @ 28"

When I first bought my Hoyt XT 2000. It was set up for a release. It had a Vital X the Kazaway arrow rest. I shot it for a while, but the arrow flight was flawed. I could actually see the tail of the arrow shoot right then correct itself. I have the Kazaway on my Hoyt Charger now and a Boodoodle Timberdoodle on my XT 2000.

I hunted for two years with a QAD drop away. It shot fine and I could shoot a bare shaft at 20 yds and hit with my field points. I tried a Code Red with less success. What I concluded, mainly from reading and talking to the mfgr, was that the QAD stayed up a tad longer, and apparently offered enough side pressure to deal with paradox. I preferred the QAD because you could "cock it and lock it", and because it did not drop if you let down on an animal an decided not to shoot. I never could get it as quiet as I really wanted, but it was acceptable. I did like the substantial arrow containment which allows for canting the bow (in a necessary situation) and for slipping on the ground with the arrow loaded. The people at Code Red told me they had very few people that said they were able to make theirs work.

They are all expensive. I had been shooting a launcher arm style (Tiger Tuff Delux Star) on my target set ups because it seems very forgiving and is simple. I went back to hunting with it because it is quieter and simpler. That said, at some point, I am tempted to play with the QAD again.

I also have a Timberdoodle that I have never opened. I just got distracted chasing other things. But at some point this summer I am going to put it on and play with it. It is much like the Tiger Tuff with additional features. And Don (Zesty) has been so pleased with his, that I am compelled to give it a look see.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

I have shot compound barebow with fingers for about 10 years now, and through alot of trial and error have learned alot. Qad and Ripcord will both work for fingers and in a treestand or saddle it helps to have full containment! I have also had great success with the Timberdoodle. Nap flipper will work, but tears up your fetching pretty good. I mostly shoot feathers which are more forgiving than full size vanes. If you do go with vanes you are pretty much down to the dropaways no matter what, especially if you've got any significant helical to your fetching. It also depends on your bow. Some bows seem to work better with certain rests than others. Dan Fitzgerald seriously ROCKS the Qad...you can search him on you tube and on how he sets it up too! Hope this helps.
    Jesus Christ is Lord!

Anyone ever shoot trophy taker rests??

Rhody creek Archery (MT)
    Authorized Martin / Athens Archery Dealer: 406-564-8372

Martin Factory Staff, Bohning Pro Staff, Trophy Taker Pro Staff, Gold Tip Advisory Staff, Bust-A-Buck Sales Rep (MT).

No response there Athens but would think the drop away effect would serve the same as the QAD etc....I'm looking at the QAD for arrow containment.

Instinctive Shooting Bare Fingers Part 1 - Guy Fi…: http://youtu.be/hlCBFiEEeTg

I installed my QAD Fall Away on my Chill X and have shot it with fingers and with release. It works well with fingers. Groups at 20yd are bulls eye size. How ever, with a release they are X ring size. I'm pulling mine and going with a flipper/combination as I know that will work better, but it's ok as it is.

I wouldn't go out and spend $140 or so for a QAD with the intention of shooting it with fingers. There are better and much cheaper options out there for the finger shooter.
    Thanks,
    Steve