Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made the decision to start running...NEED ADVICE

Made the decision to start running...NEED ADVICE

I have made the decision to start running. Only problem is, I've never really been much of a runner before this. I have exercised sporadically throughout my years. I'm a young adult (23) and am pretty healthy. My problem is developing a running schedule. I have no idea where to start (i.e. distance to run, frequency, etc etc). That's where I'm asking for your help. I've got the motivation, I just don't know what or where I should start.

proper shoes and proper running form. midfoot or forefoot strik and not a heel strike. let your body work the way it is supposed to work. something like vff, merrel glove, nike free, etc to allow your foot to be a foot.

start slowly and listen to your body

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    proper shoes and proper running form. midfoot or forefoot strik and not a heel strike. let your body work the way it is supposed to work. something like vff, merrel glove, nike free, etc to allow your foot to be a foot.

Good advice here.

If you have any questions concerning good running shoes you may want to consider a gates analysis. A gates analysis will determine what type of shoe is good for your running pattern.

Google the Couch to 5K program. Nice easy progressive program that will take you from being a non-runner to being able to run 5K.
    "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13

Ben Pearson Cougar, 64", 47# @ 28.5"

Made the decision to start running...NEED ADVICE

I'm not a runner but have recently gotten into lifting the last couple years. I'd suggest find some sort of a program, start slow (so you don't burn yourself out), and stick to it. Results will follow.

try the c25k
    PSE Supra Max
    MBG Ascent Ambush Dovetail
    Spot Hogg Edge
    Scott Longhorn
    Beestinger Stabilizers

I can also vouch for the couch to 5k program. I was not a runner at all either but followed the 9 wk. program to the letter and was able to run a full 30 minutes covering 3 miles at the end!

Just some random thoughts....

Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. Most stores will do a gait analysis for free. DO NOT just buy the first pair of shoes that feel right and look cool.

Everyone has different capabilities, so don't be afraid to adjust as you start out. The couch to 5K program is a good conservative program that will help guide you, but you may find it too easy or difficult. The #1 thing is listen to your body. Don't force your way through a run when you're feeling some pain just because the schedule says to run.

Remember that rest is just as important as the workout itself. Don't jump into running 5 days a week - you will get hurt.

Track your workouts in a spreadsheet. Having all of that history will come in handy.

Study some videos on proper running technique. Good form will go a long way in keeping you injury free. Don't be afraid or shy to do running drills after a run.

shoes shoes shoes, find yourself a good running shoe, everyone is different especially with the shoes, i personally run with under armor Spine shoes, under armor fit better for me than any other shoe, but like i said my running shoes might not fit well on someone else

also mix it up when your strictly running
    for example:
    run outside on hilly roads or running trails, harder to do but better for you and it is much funner than the treadmill BUT!! also run on the treadmill strictly for conditioning, what i do is try and run a mile as fast as i can on the mill, take a water break, then go at it again a couple more times then hit the steam room, but i mostly run outside

give your knees rest when they need them
    stretch often, before and after(mostly after)
    ice your knees 2-5 times a week(even if they dont hurt) because its heals them better and keeps your knees and shins from flaring up and creating future and reoccurring problems
    have at least one or two 2-A-DAY runs a week , this really helps with conditioning and reaching personal goals and gains
    dont push yourself at the beginning, slowly jog, walk, light run the first week so your body can adjust slowly
    add a few wind sprints a couple times a week to strengthen the lower body and to develop some agility and to also mix it up so your mind doesnt get bored
    drink tons of water, anywhere from 3-4 bottles of water a day
    remember dont starve yourself, even if your trying to lose a ton of weight, you will not have significant gains when the body is starving

its a long process but also a fun one, i love running and it takes awhile to find the right program for yourself, always give your body a rest for a week every 4-5 weeks so you will not get bored and so the knees can properly heal 100% and get stronger(this is needed) even if you feel good, you must give your knees and shins and ankles rest or you will have problems later in life...

its ok to drink a cpl cups of coffee before a long run, it actually burns more calories and masks some pain during the run

hope this helps
    Hoyt Trykon xt~ DCA Custom Hunters~Fuse optics~WB~Muzzy 3 blade~
    Browning Ted Nugent Bloodbrother bow~Easton Classics~

Don't over complicate it... Go out and run at a comfortable pace. No offense to ghost, but a lot of that stuff isn't necessary, especially for beginners. I agree it's a process that needs to be taken slowly. You're asking for trouble if you dive in full throttle.

2-a-days, especially, have no business in a beginner's training. Hell, I only do a hand full of them and I run primarily marathons.

He's going to get the best bang for the buck by taking it easy and doing moderately slow running. Save the speed stuff for the months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    Don't over complicate it... Go out and run at a comfortable pace. No offense to ghost, but a lot of that stuff isn't necessary, especially for beginners. I agree it's a process that needs to be taken slowly. You're asking for trouble if you dive in full throttle.

2-a-days, especially, have no business in a beginner's training. Hell, I only do a hand full of them and I run primarily marathons.

He's going to get the best bang for the buck by taking it easy and doing moderately slow running. Save the speed stuff for the months later.
    On the contrary, it's exactly what a runner needs to do if you want to stick with it

No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying.

Run the same distance for two weeks before increasing distance. Increase by small amounts. You really want to create a habit of running rather than see how extreme you can get.

Running takes a lot of time, so ask yourself if your routine will work during busy times, if not decrease distance. I only run about three miles a day because that's what works for me. If I have a long a tired day I can still run three miles.
    Savage Model 11 - Nikon ProStaff 3X9X40 - 85 grain HSA Sierra HPBT
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 26" WadWizard Supreme Choke
    Mathews Helim - 64lbs - Hogg Father - G5 Archery Expert II

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post

Jumping right into minimalist shoes is not recommended. It depends on his foot, his gait cycle, and what he has currently been wearing.

Shoes have a "drop height." Most shoes you see at regular stores will have a 10-12mm drop. Running shoes then drop to 8, 6, 4, and 0. Vff and the other minimalist shoes are 0 drop. You should drop down 2-4mm every 6 months if your intent is to get into minimalist shoes.

Going from a stability shoe right down to a minimalist shoe is the fast way to injury. I see it literally every week: Stress fractures, achilles pain, shin splints, IT band.

Don't go extreme to start. Run in the same type of shoes you have been wearing. Focus on form and condition first. Worry about striking and footgear later. And see a professional

- I am a doctor of chiropractic in a dynamic sports injury and rehabilitation center.

I am new to running also and just started a few months ago and a good pair of shoes is a must. I went with the Asics nimbus 19 and the are great. Just ran my second 5k yesterday in 25:02 and that was good enough for 3rd in my age bracket 53. These 5K's seem to be all about getting a good pace and mentally not giving up towards the end. I went out way to fast yesterday for me and was at 14 minutes at 2 miles and because of the heat and a hill in the 3rd mile i had to take a few short walk breaks.
    The older I get, The better I was.

Get the Galloway book on running, it has been around for a while and has been up dated. It has programs for all levels of runners and great training routines. I ran a lot for many years and it is not about more, more, more, there longer days, short days recovery days etc. it is about running smart, you will run better, longer and safer. Cheers

+2 on the Galloway book.

don't........

Just kidding, but if your goal is to get in shape and lose weight I think you would be better off investing your time in high intensity intervals rather than running.

Just food for thought.
    Elite Judge
    Elite Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dead_fowl View Post
    don't........

Just kidding, but if your goal is to get in shape and lose weight I think you would be better off investing your time in high intensity intervals rather than running.

Just food for thought.
    high intensity intervals are only productive if you add them in your RUNNING, running is the best workout to lose weight and get in shape mentally and physically...

swimming is also a great workout but very hard to stick too, swimming is the best workout for your muscles and lungs, running is more physical

I disagree, (for me anyways) intervals are what took my fitness to a entirely new level.

I've always been in shape, but once I learned to use a heart rate monitor and a stop watch I broke through some plateaus that I had been stuck at for years.

I run on my off days.
    Elite Judge
    Elite Z28

Dang there's a lot of BS getting slung around in this thread, if you follow some of these suggestion you'll end up in traction. ghostgoblin- really? doubles for a beginner? That terrible advise.

I suggest going to a running forum and ask the same question, hopefully you'll end up with better answers.
    Drink alittle drink, smoke alittle smoke.

I'm forgetting what I forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GATOR-EYE View Post
    Dang there's a lot of BS getting slung around in this thread, if you follow some of these suggestion you'll end up in traction. ghostgoblin- really? doubles for a beginner? That terrible advise.

I suggest going to a running forum and ask the same question, hopefully you'll end up with better answers.
    Amen, dude.

Thumbs up Couch to 5K :)

Hope this helps! 5k.jpg

Are you still running? I recommend entering weekly 5K events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast