Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Game lands - pics and talk

There are nice buck on Public land. Difficult to pattern though. Here is a couple public land buck pics.

Dang...
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

You better get the one in the 3rd pic this year. He won't make it through another winter like last years.

Quote Originally Posted by 25ft-up View Post
    You better get the one in the 3rd pic this year. He won't make it through another winter like last years.
    i would think those were last years pics, most bucks are not that far along yet this year. So he is probably already dead from this past winter. Unless he got way more healthy in a hurry!
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

Last couple years.

Very nice buck. How did you pick your camera placements? Was there a common strategy or was it just hits and misses over the years?

This trail was caused by the Game commission put a fence up. Pretty much one of the only ways around the fence. Pinch point.

We have a lot of those where we hunt as well. Do you hunt these areas? And are these bucks staying in the fenced in areas or simply traveling around them?

They travel around them. I have seen bucks jump the fence to get to does on the inside and then jump back out. They don`t always get the deer out before putting the fence up.

I've seen a lot of doe and small buck inside these fences. It just never crossed my mind about using them the way you do. Thanks a lot for your input I appreciate it a lot. There arnt many people who are willing to share things like this. I'm already creating a plan of attack for next scouting trip to find entry points in and out of these fences along with a wrap around pinch point to set a camera up.

I had a great spot a few years ago to hunt and used trailcams. It was a spot between 2 fences about 300yards wide. Great funnel spot to ambush deer.

How long have you been hunting game lands?

38 years. We have a camp on State Forest land. So since I was 12.

2014 Bear Agenda 6

2012 Bear Carnage

Aim Small Miss Small

2014 Bear Agenda 6

2012 Bear Carnage

Aim Small Miss Small

Have you harvested any of these big bucks? And nice buck carnage.

I have been after this one now for 2 years. Plus some odd public land bucks.

Very nice. I can't wait to check our cameras closer to season.

Some July 2014 pics.

We just hung a camera at a great spot on Sunday. Lots of deer and a definite big buck spot. Hanging two more this coming Sunday. One where we got the big guy in my first post and the other using your fence tactic. Can't wait to see what kind of results we get. There's a certain area between two fences that I feel really good about. Unfortunately I won't have pictures for anyone till closer to September.

Some of the best buck I have seen in PA both in person and on trail cam have been on public land....it takes a different breed of hunt to dedicate themselves to a public land trophy. The most important aspect of that dedication is to be mindful that a trophy is relative. What I have let walk in the last few years I know most others would not...Now I have eaten PA tag soup the last three years too, but I know there are some good ones in the areas I frequent. It can get very frustrating letting a 135" pass at 20 yards only to see him in the back of another pick-up at the end of the night and that is a peril of public land hunting anywhere. Another very important factor is know what is on the public land you are hunting. If the best deer is a 130", you would be foolish to pass....scouting and PLANNING are like the two most overlooked aspects of consistent success and scouting should not be reduced to strolling in and hanging a few cams. Get in, check the mast crops, chart the wind, check for swirls in the saddles and bowls, keep a journal with all of this info. Use all of high is info to plan stand sits with effective winds, even more importantly be sure to plan inconspicuous entry and exit routes....

Do these things and you'll get into some good PA deer, getting one on the ground takes a little more...

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

Couldn't have put it better myself Joe. Any set up tips or preferences you commonly use? And if you don't mind me asking which game lands do you hunt?

I use a climber to target areas. I am looking for the acorns and how to intercept the deer going there. Please remember that once the corns drop the deer will change there feeding habits. So where they were feeding in the summer is not where they will be when the acorns drop. This is the same with trailcam pictures. I here all the time the camera scared the deer away in the fall. No the feed changed. Unless you are checking your cam to often.

The only difference I've seen is using black flash cameras. The deer don't even notice the cameras. Where with infrared and flash they look right at it. But checking cameras too much is a problem with so many people and they refuse to listen or understand. Where we hunt acorns simply don't exist anymore so that's a downfall for us. I've searched for days and days for hours with no luck. Game commission looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask for his opinion on where to find them.

Im from york pa and hunt william kain state park. hard as heck to try to get away from the people and find a food source. what else is there for deer to eat when theres no fields or anything like that for the deer? Iv been hunting there for 5 years and am starting to loose hope.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast