Thread: Anyone with a finger release drill?

Anyone with a finger release drill?

I'm really enjoying the Supra shooting with an AAE Elite tab, and the spots keep coming. However, even when I'm totally focusing on the release, I'm quite sure I'm not doing stationary release. I've had my wife look, and she's thinks everything is ok, but does someone have a drill that may work? I haven't shot the thumb release, Bear Anarchy, bow since going back to fingers. I'm even thinking of turning that bow into fingers. Since the Bear is 60#(set @ 53), and the Supra is 50#, I can toy with both for comparison and even go higher because everything is feeling easy now.
    At the next club shoot, I'll also try to get with the compound/finger shooters for any hints, but that's three weeks away.
    2012 Bear Arnachy, TR sight, Spot Hogg Infinity rest, 10" B-stinger, Stan SX-2
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Timberdoodle II rest, 11&1/2"Shrewd, no sights: BH
    2014 PSE Fever (wife) TR sight, TR Whisker rest, 8" B-stinger
    2014 PSE Phenom SD (wife) Spot Hogg Hunter sight, Infinity rest, 10" B-stinger
    2014 S/F Forged 25" riser with Axiom 38# limbs and GT 600 Traditional arrows

Met the coolest guy at the shop today, and he had the solution. Take the stand up mirror and place it a little up front and off to the right of where I'm shooting in the garage. Focus on target, so I don't miss it, then shoot and check the release motion. I've used the blind shooting technique, and that works really well, but this way I can see what I'm doing.

If you have video on your phone, you could get your wife to video you.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

If you can watch this advertisement for the video MAsters of the Barebow Volume 3, on Utube, you can see some very good archers execute the release. These guys are shooting recurves and long bows. Many compound shooters do not have the exagerated follow through. However, the alignment etc is much the same, and watching this may be helpful. It is short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0M7aao9utA
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

If you watch this video, you will see a normal guy (not pro) shooting bare bow. HIs release is much more like what I think most compound guys do. It certainly is more like what I do as far as follow through goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYvX369HkNE

Videos are cool and will be kept for review--thanks. The mirror thingy is working; plus using the blank/blind bale is even better. Today I really turned things around after my talk with the guy at the shop. Dropping his index finger after draw was tried on a full range walk today. Noted two things that needed more tuning: arrows were hitting left on three targets in a row (adjusted), so the remaining ones were right on. The longer 56,60,70 and 80 shots the arrows were hitting high (adjusted), so tuning done and it's just work on form. Smile.

Oh, yeah forgot to say that with index finger point forward, the proper release happens easier. Smile. At least for me it's working.

That first video of the traditional shooters that Mitchell posted. I would not use that as a recommendation. Watch their hands after the shot. No one should be able to tell you have released the string. Your hand should stay right by your anchor. Those guys hands are jumping off there face. That will sometimes lead to peaking. I think it is called peaking. The second guy with the compound. He was a lot better. His hand jumped a little but he was smooth. My hand use to jump of my face. A pro taught me to discipline myself. Then I taught my son. Anyway I hope this helps. It improved my shooting goodluck

Jesse,

I don't know how much time you have spent with trad bows, but the guys on that first video (Jenkins and Yein) are literally the elite shooters in the trad world. What you will find is that it is very, very hard to maintain back tension when shooting and holding in excess of 50#, without rearward movement of the hand. If you look carefully, their alignment is good, and the hand comes back, not away, from the face. Some very few, essentially powerfully strong, can shoot a "dead" release with a trad bow.

With compounds, and let off, it is way different, ergo the second video. I have found it difficult to find good footage of a compound release guy.

Fun to talk about.

Thank you for the info. I did not know that. I do agree with you on this " I have found it difficult to find good footage of a compound release guy." It took me a long time to stop my hand from jumping. Also I like and agree with this "Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven." Profess with the mouth Jesus. Then follow him God bless my brother

You too Jesse great to hook up with another brother, and thanks for the comment.

I started with trad, and made every mistake possible. I eventually realized that foot position, hip twist, and shoulder alignment all affect your ability to get the elbow of the draw arm all the way behind the arrow, pulling back in a straight line. That allows the physics of the shot to make your hand come back instead of flying off the face. Like you,with the compound, my hand does not move much though.

I personally believe the static release is really only effective with older round-wheel bows being shot out of the valley. With modern hard walls or with recurves and longbows the dynamic release has proven to be much more effective. The only issue is the very low holding weight on some modern cam systems, but there should still be a follow-through of some sort.

The best "drill" I can offer for fingers is to practice holding and letting down without shooting. If you can do that then the world is your oyster.

-Grant
    Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Grant,

I would love to see some videos of guys shooting the compounds with dynamic release. I feel like they are out there, but I have not found them. I am not sure how to label what I do, but it is much like the second Utube video above; a very slight rearward movement. Maybe I just have not gotten the hang of a substantial follow through with the compound. Always interested in improving my shooting.

I've been practicing with a mirror, out to the side, in the garage at six yards. Draw, set&check anchor, release arrow. It feels good, looks good, but then I hit the longer targets, no mirror, and fully concentrate only on the release: everything set, good touch on bow hand and fire. Two things I notice: if I push/pull where the bow falls away, the arrow hits left. If I release correctly, meaning hand comes directly back slightly and I hold the bow more steady, the arrow hits center. Believe me, it's all working good and I'm having fun. I now have drills and videos, so it's just practice to I can be consistent. Smile.

Here is a video of me shooting my recurve, I have a dead release.
    Don.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCdyWHS32Xw
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Here is another video of me shooting my compound, same dead release.
    Don.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U67Eapg77o
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Jesse,

I don't know how much time you have spent with trad bows, but the guys on that first video (Jenkins and Yein) are literally the elite shooters in the trad world. What you will find is that it is very, very hard to maintain back tension when shooting and holding in excess of 50#, without rearward movement of the hand. If you look carefully, their alignment is good, and the hand comes back, not away, from the face. Some very few, essentially powerfully strong, can shoot a "dead" release with a trad bow.

With compounds, and let off, it is way different, ergo the second video. I have found it difficult to find good footage of a compound release guy.

Fun to talk about.
    As I've followed this thread, my little brain has been trying to envision the interaction between the fingers (especially the deep hooked middle finger) and the string. With a dead release, I would think the additional twisting of the string, as the fingers roll off the string during release, would be less than with the back tension release, and a follow through that leaves the hand behind the ear (or beyond). With Trad, perhaps this additional interaction is okay.... or not.

I'm hoping somebody with a lot more knowledge than me on the technique piece can weigh in on this one. As I switch up from a split glove to three under tab, I've become conscious about a lot of things I never paid any mind to in the past. Now, it's learn, learn, learn.