a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Time for an upgrade

Time for an upgrade

I'm in the market this summer for a new bow (my current one being a martin m1 tiger) I really like the looks of the oneida bows. The first of which I saw on the show Arrow which has resparked my interest in shooting bow again. I'd like to try one out before I dish out the cash on a new one to see if its even something I'd like. So I put an add on kijiji looking for an older model and found a 80lbs strike eagle for $100. Comes with case, couple arrows and release. Guy said he hasnt shot it in a couple years and would prob need a new string. Are these bows hard to work on? Can you still buy strings for these older models? Would this one be a good buy to try out this style of bow? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

The strike is slower and longer TTT than the other bows. It all has to do with the geometry of the outboards. So I wouldn't really suggest it as an entry bow.
    The AeroForce is a slightly better option, but is a heavy bow.
    If you don't mind having less of a shelf, I'd highly suggest the Tomcat X-80 or TC-III. Any of these should be found within the price range you're talking about.
    If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'd go with an LFM. That's my favorite Oneida bow.

And yes, these bows are very simple to work on and fix. You don't need a bow press and all the info you could possibly want is available on youtube and these forums.
    Welcome to the club.
    It's never really finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Bman88 View Post
    I'm in the market this summer for a new bow (my current one being a martin m1 tiger) I really like the looks of the oneida bows. The first of which I saw on the show Arrow which has resparked my interest in shooting bow again. I'd like to try one out before I dish out the cash on a new one to see if its even something I'd like. So I put an add on kijiji looking for an older model and found a 80lbs strike eagle for $100. Comes with case, couple arrows and release. Guy said he hasnt shot it in a couple years and would prob need a new string. Are these bows hard to work on? Not at all...all you need is a couple allen wrenches- press is a 2x4 with L brackets.Can you still buy strings for these older models? Yes, just make sure you get the proper string material.Would this one be a good buy to try out this style of bow? Yes. They are older bows but still bring down the game, place arrows in the same spot.Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    There is a reason Oneida bows fetch such a high price for a 20 year old used bow...such a pleasure to shoot, easy to work on. The only negative issue about those bows is how loud they are. They're not WAY loud like many would have you belive but there is a distinct sound they make that comes from the outboard limbs and the cam pylons....string silencers, felt in the string groove and foam in the pylons will quiet it down a bunch- heavy arrows do best....

the first thing you'll want to do is replace the cables....when they let go- it's all of the sudden. Get cables from American Eagle Bows or 5150 bows.

Go to american eagle bows and find their maintenance videos

for 100 bucks- I'd take it in a heart beat....if you don't like it, you'll get your money back
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

Thanks guys, turns out he sold it on me before I could get ahold of him again. So I'm still on the search for one. I was hoping to find something local here in saskatchewan but might have to try ebay. Kijiji keeps deleting my wanted ads lol. Can't wait to get my hands on one and get some shooting in.