Thread: BowHunting on Sundays in Massachusetts

BowHunting on Sundays in Massachusetts

If this happens I think it will be awesome especially for the guys and gals that work 6 days a week and can only get out once in a while!!
    House takes step toward Sunday hunting!!!!

The Lowell Sun
    UPDATED: 05/27/2014 06:22:12 PM EDT0 COMMENTS

By Matt Murphy

State House News Service

BOSTON -- Rooted in the Puritanical blue laws that once governed Massachusetts, that state's ban on Sunday hunting could be headed for the historical archives.

House Democrats are poised to bring forward legislation this week that would take a baby-step toward lifting the Sunday hunting prohibition by allowing the use of bow and arrows to hunt deer on Sundays during the last three months of year, which is deer-hunting season.

The bill, originally sponsored by Rep. William Straus, D-Mattapoisett and Rep. Paul Frost, R-Auburn, was given an initial vote of approval on Tuesday in anticipation of being considered Wednesday when the full House meets.

The Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals opposes the bill on the grounds residents should be able to enjoy the outdoors on one day during the weekend without worrying about hunters.

"With the number of Massachusetts' citizens interested in wildlife-watching being so prevalent and with so few hunters, it is patently unfair to deny Massachusetts citizens access to areas where they may enjoy wildlife-watching activities one day a week, without being concerned about potential conflicts with hunters," the organization wrote on its website.

The MSPCA cites a 2007 survey done by Pacific Market Research that found 86 percent of residents would prefer to keep the ban.

Massachusetts is one of about 11 states that still have hunting restrictions on Sundays, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, all of which were among the original 13 colonies or their territories.

A group called the Sunday Hunting Coalition has been pushing for repeal of these laws, and in Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe signed a bill in March to allow hunting on Sundays on private land and public waters. The Connecticut House also passed legislation earlier this month to allow Sunday deer hunting with bow and arrows in designated "deer management zones."

The Sunday Hunting Coalition is made up of a number of organizations, including the National Rifle Association, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and Bass Pro Shops.

The group estimates that legalizing Sunday hunting in Massachusetts could lead to the direct and indirect creation of more than 500 new jobs and $51 million in economic activity by keeping hunters from traveling to neighboring states like New York, Rhode Island and New Hampshire where Sunday hunting is legal.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnew...#ixzz332qoHXYj
    Mathews HeliM
    HHA OL-5519
    Whisker Biscuit powershot
    ICS Carbon Hunter 300's

never thought I would see the day sunday would be possible

Please get this done... I'm one of those that misses out on a lot of hunting because days off from work is about impossible and Saturdays always seem to happen during hunting season.

1 extra day of hunting will not create 500 jobs at all. I like the no Sunday hunting personally. With that said, I take days off and hunt during the week. No way am I venturing out on public land on the weekends around here.

I wonder how much money the "wildlife watchers" the group opposing this bill contributes to land conservation. Hunting and fishing licenses contribute around 1.5 million annually.. I know a lot of people that aren't fortunate enough to be able to take days off during the week to hunt so the sunday bowhunting will be great. Hope to see this pass.
    PSE MILITIA, Hunting- PSE Drive - HHA, deer crossing arrows, QAD
    Target- PSE Supra HP, DS Advantage sight, NAP QT 3000, GT Pro 22's/X-Cutters, Bernies X-ROD Stab and side bar
    Darton DS-4514 - Limbdriver Pro

Dan

This is fantastic news. Hopefully, this completes it's path thru the legislature and is enacted by October of this year.
    Hoyt Vector Turbo @ 65# & 28.5" Draw
    QAD HDX Drop-Away, Small Dia. 12" Doinker Dish
    Single-Pin 2014 CBE Hybrid on 6" Dovetail, Carter Quickie 1+
    400 Gr. GT Kinetic Hunter & NAP Killzone @ 300 FPS
    LW Assault Climber with Molle Straps & HBS