a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Toxophilite

Toxophilite

Good day everyone. I know it's a little geeky, but personally I was not aware of this particular term for a "person fond of archery." It showed up as "Word of the Day" so I thought i would share. Now you can mess with your co-workers.

toxophilite\tahk-SAH-fuh-lyte\

noun
    : a person fond of or expert at archery

"Behold, the archer! Perhaps there is no more heroic pose known to man ... [a]nd perhaps there is no other weapon as romantic, as toxophilites will tell you." — Mark Holmberg, WTVR CBS 6, November 27, 2013

"Toxophilite" became established in the language as the name for a late 18th-century English archery society. The word derives from Greek "toxon," which referred to both a bow and arrow, and "philos," meaning "loving." Today, "toxophilite" is a rarely used word but often occurs in vocabulary games and puzzles and in spelling bees. A more ubiquitous descendant of "toxon" is "toxic." "Toxic" is an anglicization of Latin's word for "poison," "toxicum," which originally meant "poison for arrows" and is a borrowing from Greek "toxikon," meaning "arrow."

Humm....learn something everyday! Thanks for sharing!

I think I first heard that term while reading the book, The Witchery of Archery, by Maurice Thompson if memory serves me. It is a wonderful little book written in the late 1800s about the love of the bow. There are some great stories and also insights on how the shot the bow. If you have not read it I highly recommend it for your pleasure.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I think I first heard that term while reading the book, The Witchery of Archery, by Maurice Thompson if memory serves me. It is a wonderful little book written in the late 1800s about the love of the bow. There are some great stories and also insights on how the shot the bow. If you have not read it I highly recommend it for your pleasure.
    Thank you for the book recommendaiton! I'll add it to the stack.

I'm one I reckon !!!!

Yes the Thompson boys use that word I believe....and so does Fred Anderson...a great archer/bowhunter author.......

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Just finished up Maurice Thompson's Witchery of Archery. That was truly an enjoyable read, and a very different time for the sport. Thank you for the recommendation!

Be careful reading that book too close to deer season. You'll see woodpeckers in a whole new light.

Quote Originally Posted by dsheffey View Post
    Be careful reading that book too close to deer season. You'll see woodpeckers in a whole new light.
    That's actually a really good point, on birds in general. I've never really taken notice of how vicious birds can be, but started thinking back on my experiences and laughed. Thompson was spot on. I stopped and watched three brown finches torment a crow for several minutes yesterday, simply because of that chapter in the book.

On an off topic side note, how is the shooting/hunting in the Athens area? My wife and I are starting to narrow down retirement locations, and the Nashville area is at the top of the current list. Moderate to easy access to bowhunting and fly fishing are my ground rules, and the initial look seems promising.